John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part II

Status
Not open for further replies.
And "Controlled test is just another word for 'bogus' test," is just religion.

se

Most "controlled" testing doesn't take into account how we hear. That's the way I see it.

The other day I was working with a relay in a circuit. It was buzzing but I couldn't hear it. I'd turn my head left or right and I'd hear a buzz. I couldn't figure out where it came from and thought it was in my head. Why would I think that ... well, I've heard a lot of sounds in my head, but that's another story.

Anyway, I turned the circuit on a few times, and wasn't sure if it was the circuit or not. I came back later that day and turned it on. Now I could make it out fine, and didn't have to turn my head at all. It was clearly coming from the relay.

I've had this experience often with new sounds. It's called habituation.

It take weeks of listening for the ear to unravel small differences in audio. Most blind tests don't take this into account, cause they don't know about it, don't care, or don't believe it, probably.

John

The two DACs had a 1:10 price difference. As long as the two DACs were sitting there on the counter, the preference was 80% vs 20% in favor of the expensive one.
As soon as the DACs were moved behind the counter, out of sight, the preferences were 22% vs 78%, in favor of the cheap one.

There more to it, but I'll let you digest this first ;)

jan didden

Yes, it's a condition reflex. But, that doesn't mean there wasn't an audible difference.

Beliefs have a powerful effect on how we hear, as you know Jan. And, I know that well.

AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Most "controlled" testing doesn't take into account how we hear. That's the way I see it.
[snip]It take weeks of listening for the ear to unravel small differences in audio. Most blind tests don't take this into account, cause they don't know about it, don't care, or don't believe it, probably.

John

So, John, how does a sighted test take into account how we hear, knows about it, cares about it, believes it?

jan didden

AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Yes, it's a condition reflex. But, that doesn't mean there wasn't an audible difference.

Beliefs have a powerful effect on how we hear, as you know Jan. And, I know that well.

Agreed and agreed. But if the difference in seeing or not completely reverses our audible preferences, how on earth can anyone trust a sighted test?

jan didden

Last edited:

The other day I was working with a relay in a circuit. It was buzzing but I couldn't hear it. I'd turn my head left or right and I'd hear a buzz. I couldn't figure out where it came from and thought it was in my head. Why would I think that ... well, I've heard a lot of sounds in my head, but that's another story.

Anyway, I turned the circuit on a few times, and wasn't sure if it was the circuit or not. I came back later that day and turned it on. Now I could make it out fine, and didn't have to turn my head at all. It was clearly coming from the relay.

I've had this experience often with new sounds. It's called habituation.

It take weeks of listening for the ear to unravel small differences in audio. Most blind tests don't take this into account, cause they don't know about it, don't care, or don't believe it, probably.

Yet in the 30 years or so I've been involved with audio, and the millions of posts I've read from others on forums since the mid-80's, I don't recall anyone ever saying it took weeks of listening before they could discern any difference between components or cables.

se

Yet in the 30 years or so I've been involved with audio, and the millions of posts I've read from others on forums since the mid-80's, I don't recall anyone ever saying it took weeks of listening before they could discern any difference between components or cables.

se

It doesn't take weeks to discern that there are some difference. It may take weeks to pinpoint the benefit, or drawbacks, of those differences.

So, John, how does a sighted test take into account how we hear, knows about it, cares about it, believes it?

jan didden

I just think a blind test needs to be done over a extended period of time. If you change the conditions in which a person is used to listening ( i.e. hide the components ) it changes how we hear and you can't expect the listener to do as well on a test.

We learn sounds and how we respond to sounds is all about beliefs formed from past experience. We may have a new experience that changes our beliefs.

I think a blind test has to allow a person to learn the just the sounds ( say sound A and sound B ) for a period of time with the components hidden. After people spent weeks with the components learning the sounds, if they hear a difference, then test to see if they really can identify this difference.

Last edited:
Scott,

That strikes me as a bit snide, finding something is the first and sometimes not so easy step. Once the technique is reliable then comes the task of ruling out what it is not.

Not the intent, just frustration. It is my OPINION that the effects of exotic passive components are highly overstated and yes using them makes you feel good even I do it sometimes (they can be very pretty).

Agreed and agreed. But if the difference in seeing or not completely reverses our audible preferences, how on earth can anyone trust a sighted test?

jan didden

I just have more faith in extended listening impressions that you do. I mean why does CD sound is so great, then why do so many people seem unhappy with it.

Why is it that Sony made a high end $1200 bluray player a few years ago with very low noise and low distortion that I couldn't listen to. Hurt my ears! Hurt my dad's ears but he kept listening to it cause he has this thing for Sony, and just attributed to break in and kept listening. He eventually habituated to the sound, and it no longer bothered him. He grew to like it.

Does Sony have bad engineers? It technical specs would blow away the LP.

This is a player that Robert Harley said had a bright tonal balance in a review ( months after we had bought it ) but still gave it a good review.

My mom uses it upstairs now with the TV. I've tried a number of times to listen to it, but I don't try to listen to it anymore because it makes my ears worse.

If CD is perfect, then why does live music sound so good to me with no fatique, where cd can't. Why don't SACD's played back on the same player affect me the same way?

Well, I just trust my listening impressions for the most part. Peoples ears are different. Some are more sensitive to some sounds than others.

John

To me, ABX tests with large audience make no sense.

It's not only a question of large audience. To my view, what's much more important is the experience that each one of the people being tested have with high end audio systems.

Also, any ABX system used should be tested for its' possible own effects first, prior to any test conducted by using it.

From my Nov 2010 AES report / the Editorial of the upcoming Linear Audio Vol 1:

"Eric Valentine, a record producer from Los Angeles, built his own recording console . He painstakingly hand-selected ‘audiophile’ capacitors, discrete devices, high-quality wiring. He is convinced that that makes the music that comes out of his console somehow sound ‘better’ than from a standard mass-produced console. Yet, on an intellectual level he knows that in a controlled test he may not be able to hear a difference if those special capacitors would be exchanged for standard industrial ones. He has learned to accept that, because he knows that the way he designed, sourced and built his console makes him work just a bit harder to do the best he can. In that sense, those special components do contribute to ‘better sound’. Eric is one of the very few people I’ve ever met who has come to grips with this basic dichotomy and became a better audio producer because of it."

jan didden

This same effect has been discussed concerning certain occult and labor intensive agricultural practices. There is a sense of simply caring more about the product and you can not separate that out of the result. Even then there are winemakers that claim in double blind tests they can taste the effects of homeopathic soil treatments.

Last edited:
I just have more faith in extended listening impressions that you do. I mean why does CD sound is so great, then why do so many people seem unhappy with it.

Why is it that Sony made a high end $1200 bluray player a few years ago with very low noise and low distortion that I couldn't listen to. Hurt my ears! Hurt my dad's ears but he kept listening to it cause he has this thing for Sony, and just attributed to break in and kept listening. He eventually habituated to the sound, and it no longer bothered him. He grew to like it.

Does Sony have bad engineers? It technical specs would blow away the LP.

This is a player that Robert Harley said had a bright tonal balance in a review ( months after we had bought it ) but still gave it a good review.

My mom uses it upstairs now with the TV. I've tried a number of times to listen to it, but I don't try to listen to it anymore because it makes my ears worse.

If CD is perfect, then why does live music sound so good to me with no fatique, where cd can't. Why don't SACD's played back on the same player affect me the same way?

Well, I just trust my listening impressions for the most part. Peoples ears are different. Some are more sensitive to some sounds than others.

John

Beautifully said, John.

In that context, let me say this: I did find CD player I enjoy listening to, but I don’t enjoy it as much as vinyl records.

Status
Not open for further replies.