John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part II

Status
Not open for further replies.
jkeny said:
I have to agree with JC - if SE makes these cables just for himself, why set up a website & put up a subjective recommendation from Positive Feedback? I'm confused

I think SE sells them for $300/0.5m - at least that's what I read in a earlier post.

I'd hazard that a positive review of his cables enhances his subjective experience of them. Works for most people.

Usually people put up positive reviews to sell more of a product. But, I won't try to read SE's mind.

Gee, I hope I've quoted correctly! :)

I see no claims for on Steve's site for any changes whatsoever (apart from decorative) that the cables may impart. He makes no statement comparing them to anything else, doesn't claim they do ANYTHING. The only stuff that is there is fact - the cable comes in a range of colours, is made of stuff you can confirm without an electron microscope (and even better is not classified) and is packaged in paper.

Anything else is what the observer reads into it.

If there are no performance claims, whats to blind test?

Ah no claims in Se's words(semantics maybe at play here?) just some subjective quote from positive Feedback ""...the Q cables just pretty much get out of the way of one's music and you hear what's there. Now that is Q'ool!" -Dave Clark, Positive Feedback Online (read complete article here) " Can he prove that the cables get out of the way? Why quote it? Is it a claim? Somebody else's words quoted on your site is a claim in my book!

Perhaps. None-the-less, its clear that the review is the reviewers opinion. Its not stated as scientific fact, so even if you are somehow not alerted by the breathless and incessant rambling tone used throughout the review its pretty obvious that this is an opinion.

No claims are made for how the cables work, there is no special formula unknown to all others alluded to. The opinion in fact makes the point that the cables do nothing!

Steve has chosen to quote about the most benign part of hte entire review - a part that parses down to "this is wire and it passes all the current from one end to the other - I like it". Not an outrageous claim for a conductor I don't think...

Perhaps. None-the-less, its clear that the review is the reviewers opinion. Its not stated as scientific fact, so even if you are somehow not alerted by the breathless and incessant rambling tone used throughout the review its pretty obvious that this is an opinion.

Yes, but irrelevant. In this case neither has jkeny (to my knowledge) made claims of scientific fact in regards to improved sound. Science so far doesn't know how brains create sounds so a claim about sound quality can't be a scientific one. What can be scientific are claims about signals.

So it's completely subjective!

No claims are made for how the cables work, there is no special formula unknown to all others alluded to. The opinion in fact makes the point that the cables do nothing!

Steve has chosen to quote about the most benign part of hte entire review - a part that parses down to "this is wire and it passes all the current from one end to the other - I like it". Not an outrageous claim for a conductor I don't think...
So it is a claim then? He has quoted a subjective opinion with a link to the full article & no data to back it up - Sy's definition of immorality then!

I looked up 'if' in 2 dictionaries, and found 4 subtle differences:
One was: if, therefore
Another was: if, God willing
Third was: if, it be so
Fourth was: if you please
Please confirm which 'if' is appropriate?
I used the 'Oxford American Dictionary' and the 'Webster's Dictionary and Thesaurus' to look up the definitions.
Any 'English Majors' out there who can help?

Status
Not open for further replies.