John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part II

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh really? Are there no IEEE standards for shielding, line and load regulation, and AC ripple? No regulations for impedence. No standard for rating power supplies capabilities according to established specifications and accepted test procedures? What about FTC or can you just make any claim for any power supply?

That is correct there are no IEEE standards it is covered by UL which is now following IEC practice. The main issues are safety! The FTC relaxed the rules on power amplifiers and if you find any concerning audio equipment internal power supplies let me know.

Oh really? Are there no IEEE standards for shielding, line and load regulation, and AC ripple? No regulations for impedence. No standard for rating power supplies capabilities according to established specifications and accepted test procedures? What about FTC or can you just make any claim for any power supply?

None of the above determines the inner PSU's immunity against RFI carried on the mains supply.

None of the above determines the inner PSU's immunity against RFI carried on the mains supply.

If there are no standards and no measurements, how do you know a different power cord works? How does it work, shunt capacitance? Series inductance? A few pf added to all those hundreds of ufs in all of the rest of the wire? Say are you in the audiophile power cord business?

Simon is referring to the transformer hot side of the mains may be outside the windings or the inner part of the windings next to the laminations, there is no standard for that. He has discussed that earlier in this thread.

Wrinkle.

I have heard differences in power cords too. I guess that is a subjective 'fact'.

Being a big skeptic when it comes to AC cord "cable magic" and their influence on sound after rectification I have to agree that I too have heard differences.

Whether this is due to quality of materials, geometry, shielding, connectors or listening room humidity I don't know. I suppose there are as many theories as their are skeptics.

I wouldn't call them facts, maybe more like eyewitness testimony. :D

Works like this (shield connected to PE at instrument side):

Attachments

• kabel.PNG
    kabel.PNG
    4.4 KB · Views: 251
Status
Not open for further replies.