John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part II

Status
Not open for further replies.
AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Heard an interesting presentation by David Greisinger just now at the AES.
Subject is how can we determine not just direction but also position/range of a sound source in the presence of many similar sources. Example: two string instruments that produce same pitches and harmonics at two different angular positions but still we can hear them separately.

Not sure I understand any and all points but it appears to involve the phase shift between the harmonics of a particular source. In other words, even if two sources have the same harmonic structure we still can discriminate between them and focus on each separately, using the phase relationship between the harmonics. If the phase relationship between the harmonics remains intact we can determine position/range even with other similar interfering sources.

When you have a reverberant venue, at a certain point in time the phase relations start to smear and you can't locate the source anymore. That is one reason why location gets difficult with reverberation sound arriving very close after the direct sound, but not if there is enough time between direct and reverb sound for the brain to do its location processing.

Might that have some relation to why some amps that measure identical to other amps, nevertheless have better soundstage and localization? Because they better preserve the phase relation between the harmonics in the distortion products?

Thoughts?

jan didden

A bit cheaper is Bregman if this stuff captivates you (it does me). I've recently acquired this but not delved into it yet.

Amazon.com: Auditory Scene Analysis: The Perceptual Organization of Sound (9780262521956): Albert S. Bregman: Books

I would also endorse the Al Bregman book in favor of the other.

Although parts of it are bit dated now, he was an important and capable contributer to the field. As far as the David Greisinger work goes, at this point I would not get too excited about it.

Joined 2004
Paid Member
Obviously Scott objects to the language used. But is there substance underneath the less than academically perfect description? Can anyone explain in clear terms what Ron's position, arguments and measurements are? I'll have access to the paper in a week or two but not yet. I missed the presentation so I don't know any details.

Status
Not open for further replies.