John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part II

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sonic reasons are not allowed to be discussed here. I will say that the BF would probably be OK, and operating voltage with only 50K max on the gate is certainly a different condition from 5G, or about 100,000 times different. ;-) Therefore, some care is still prudent, but not so much as in the microphone case.
Still, I would like to thank Ed Simon for the tip on the Dale resistors. My present employer found a cost effective Dale resistor that is completely non-magnetic, that works just great. In our reality, these questions are as serious as what topology to use.

John, I don't want to discuss sonic reasons here, I only want to mention that music - here the music as amplified signal - is really the dynamic condition :)

I will try out the BF but I my feeling tells me that the SK170 is the JFet for my circuit ...

What Dales you have in mind and what about the Caddock 132?

Joao, it is still important to CASCODE the input part, if you have more than 10V on the BF862. The 2SK170 is a very good part for audio inputs, and I use them for just about everything that I make, including phono stages, line stages and power amp inputs. Their capacitance is not low, but their transconductance is good enough and their noise is reasonably consistent. They also have a complement. Usually, I operate the 2SK170 from 10-15V in order to get the lowest and most linear range of the non-linear input capacitance, but this would be BAD for a BF862. Anything above about 7.5V gets scary, as does above 18V for the 2SK170.

Currently I don't use the cascode even with the SK170 but I have to experiment with it as well and compare the circuits.

Can I contact you by PM for some questions out of topic?

Joao, I think that I understand what you want, but I cannot answer your questions here, because of the 'extra commentary' that almost always comes from people who do not think that questions like these are 'important'. Of course, you can PM me on specific issues. In truth, I have never found any 'dynamic' differences in fets. Resistors perhaps.
However, it is still almost impossible for me to say something about them here, except FACTS. For the record I have used Caddock power resistors and I like them. We have found a particular version of the Dale resistor to be pretty good, but I don't know its exact number. All that I was told is that it is non-magnetic. This is usually a very good thing, but not always necessary. For example, the end caps on the Roderstein Resista resistors have a slight magnetic attraction, probably nickel plating on the end caps, and it doesn't make much difference, in fact, they are a very good resistor at any price. Unfortunately, they don't make them anymore, and that is why we are switching to Dale for our less critical resistors.
Getting back to jfets, it is important to take care about voltage and leakage issues, especially at very high impedances, because then. a carbon resistor just might show its 'excess' noise due to the voltage drop generated across it by the current needed to supply the 'leaking' jfet.

AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
In several places on this forum people have said that the parallel regulators are superior to the series regulators for high quality audio reproduction power supplies.
Is that so and if yes, then why (everyone's opinion is welcome) ?

There's two aspects to this: technical superiority and audible superiority. You can appreciate that it depends on very many things whether any technical superiority translates into audible superiority.

But technically a parallel (I guess that means shunt) regulator is superior, for at least one reason: in a shunt reg topology, the return current (or ground current) circulates locally between the load and the shunt. That means it is much less critical to ground current loop contamination, or ground currents from one stage ending up causing distorted signals in another stage's ground traces thus causing signal distortion.

That makes sense?

jan didden

... in a shunt reg topology, the return current (or ground current) circulates locally between the load and the shunt.

Thanks for the reply. I'm trying to understand what exactly you mean by this statement.
What happens in the case of the series regulator: does the return current circulates somewhere else than locally ? I'll try to post a schematic later to clarify the issue.

AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Thanks for the reply. I'm trying to understand what exactly you mean by this statement.
What happens in the case of the series regulator: does the return current circulates somewhere else than locally ? I'll try to post a schematic later to clarify the issue.

In a series reg, the return current goes back to a capicitor at the reg output. That means it goes through some traces or wire. This same wire or trace will carry return current from other stages or other parts of the (pre) amp. So there is coupling between stages through the voltage induced on the return leg, and that induced voltage is generally distorted, but also can be seen as part of the input signal.

In a shunt reg, the return current doesn't go back to the supply but is part of the shunt current which varies with the load current.

Yes a schematic would be nice ;-)

jan didden

AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Maybe, but if you use a series reg AFTER the shunt reg, that's a giant step backwards.

jan didden

Not when the series regulator following the shunt one is a capacitance multiplier – not as far as supply ripple is the issue. With class A amps, the extra inner impedance of the capacitance multiplier is a lesser issue than ripple value. Now, shunt regulators have benefits other than including the return in the regulating chain.

Status
Not open for further replies.