John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part II

Status
Not open for further replies.
Stig Björge of Lyra has one of those amps perfectly restored so i can ask him hpw it compares today.
John, was that the Corona Wind speaker ?
I heard that his strain gauge cartridge was also ahead of it´s time.
i heard he misteriously disappeared one day.

The Corona Wind was Gerald Shirley, whom I met... and saw the original (not functional at the time). I worked at the same place as his son back then, so he took me over to meet him...

_-_-bear

PS. I would love to see the schematic of that amp...?

Yes, Johnferrier it is that Pattent. It contains other solutions that are aimed to make the amount of bass adjustable and the same time optimising the image. In a nutshell the midrange-treble and bass panel are rotatable against each other so it is modular. One of the drawing i send to the pattent office had a measurement of the phantom image. Imagine a bundeling ELS where you sit on the 90° canceling axis and listen only to the reflexion. I heard about the Iverson speaker but do not know how it worked. There was a report online that Nelson Pass landed in holpital after showing a corona wind wideband on a trade show so Scott you are right. It is a heath hazzard. I heard of the Ostromov Ion speaker that seems to have solved that. The Hill speaker used a cloud of Helium to avoid ozone. i build a version of my phantom source with an ESL panel and people got totally shocked when the heard it. Maybe sometime i will show it in public. The effect is impressive.
I will prepare a little scetch.

SY, what does that have to do with it? What have YOU sold in the audio industry? If that is what makes one qualified to speak about their colleagues, where is your experience with the making of audio products?
What I am concerned with is the general criticism, without even knowing the person, of people in the audio industry, many of whom I have met and even worked with.
John Iverson was a great circuit designer. I don't say that lightly. However, he WAS eccentric. So was Tesla, and he got much the same treatment, until recent years.
Some people INVENT new ideas, others implement the ideas that have been invented, and work better in corporate culture. I am NOT one of those people, and neither was John Iverson. He worked better, self employed or as a consultant, just like me.
From my experience over decades, excellent circuit design does not take a college degree, but it does take some fundamental instinct as to how circuits work, and this is a rare gift. John Iverson had this gift, and I can count the number of people that I have met in my live experience on one hand with the same ability.

AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Good morning Jan. I hope you had a good rest. It´s good to have people like you for our safety.

If you would have known what we knew in those days, you would have slept very lightly, with a suitcase at your side!
In those days, the opinion in NATO was that in order to save Germany, in case the manure hit the ventilator, we would have to destroy it.
People complain about a dangerous world today, but I've never felt so safe in my adult life. YMMV.

I'll stop the /OT now, sorry.

jd

My prototype was a big open baffle ca. 1.4 by 1.4 meter with an ESL panel of ca 40cm by 60cm size and 2 big push-pull woofers per side. I put that on my big ca. 5m by 10m long workbench in my old Sonics factory and fired against a flatt and rigid wall. You had to klimb on that bench to sit there on a chair. I heard NOTHING out of the speakers that where set left and right to the ears in 90°. People got really a kick out of that. Behind the speakers there was also a rigid wall and listened from there, other intesting phenomenons happened. I then went into Source Separation Research and in the end i had 6 dipols playing that could make a stereo signal out of an internet mono radio. I really had to do some electronics in the precedings because i was afffraid to get mad.

AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
I know what a SAM is. Were/are they predominantly lauched from land or from Naval Ships.
Just need to know whether I should first focus my attack on naval vessels or the mainland before I send in the bombers. :p

Sorry missed that question. Land, see below.

jd

Attachments

• Phase_II_III_Battery.jpg
    Phase_II_III_Battery.jpg
    71 KB · Views: 226
  • launcher.jpg
    launcher.jpg
    121.5 KB · Views: 232
Status
Not open for further replies.