John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part II

Status
Not open for further replies.
John Iverson worked for the military a great deal of the time. These amps were FIRST CLASS. He was the only circuit designer in my experience who awed me.
Oh, I have met 'engineers', physicists, and mathematicians who are impressive, but John Iverson was the best circuit designer I have ever known. He developed the complementary differential input stage in the late '60's, just as I did.
He made a full range loudspeaker with no moving parts, and as I recall, it took 3 of these same amps to drive it. Joan Baez singing 'Blue', sounded best through this loudspeaker, than any other I have ever heard. However, nothing else sounded quite as good. This speaker could bounce an image off a wall and you would think that the wall was the source of the sound.

Last edited:
I'm pretty sure that John Iverson was an MIT graduate. He was VERY different from Jim B. Jim B. is self educated, kind of like SE, and is prone to self advertise, as well as take credit for the work of others. If you don't believe me, ask Erno Borbely. I knew all three from the early '70's.

Last edited:
AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
HA!

I'm curious now. What was "Ripple F"? Anything like a CRM-114 Discriminator? :D

se

Ripple Fire. When the enemy jet came within 12 miles or so of the defended point, the SSKP (Single Shot Kill Probability) dropped below 50% so we would fire a pair of SAMs with a one sec interval to get a decent kill probability. We would also cross our fingers for good measure ;)

jd

I'm pretty sure that John Iverson was an MIT graduate. He was VERY different from Jim B. Jim B. is self educated, kind of like SE, and is prone to self advertise, as well as take credit for the work of others. If you don't believe me, ask Erno Borbely. I knew all three from the early '70's.

Nope, no record of him there. He made up lots of stories they say, the truth will never be known. The stuff about his speakers psychicly beaming the sound right into your head and having the FBI sieze the technology is a little hard to swallow. I did find the comment about the nitrous oxide they generated as having a positive effect on the sound amusing.

I really don't care what you personally think. I heard the speaker, myself. You have no idea what you are talking about. The speaker was just a direct air modulator. It worked like a conventional speaker, it just was so directional (a design flaw) that it could bounce the sound off a wall and you would think that the wall was the source. This business of NEVER believing in anything outside one's simple world of knowledge is very disappointing and compromises others who have a greater design experience than you have.

Actually i have a pattent that also contains the description of a phantom source that uses a directional speaker in a special arangement so the sound comes ONLY from the bounce of a strong reflexion on the wall. I made a scetch for Rick Beveridge, the son of the great Beveridge and he said to me that this is the first convincing system he has seen to use the room for advantage since his father passed away. The patent is called "Gekreutzte Schallwand" and i have to search for the patent numbr and the you can see it. In German language only, sorry. I solved the bundeling by using a shaped object where the sound bounces of, a little bit similiar to the JBL Paragon but using the room wall and not a cabinet so i find Iversons work very interesting.

compromises others who have a greater design experience than you have.

Right, by all accounts the speaker was another attempt at ionizing air and using it as a massless surface. This makes lots of ozone and nitrous oxide as a side effect. He was also a racist and homophobe, displayed a nazi flag in his livingroom and made his opinions very clear in public. I have no interest in anything that he ever did.

Status
Not open for further replies.