John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part II

Status
Not open for further replies.
another UnDIY'er thread

Sorry to mess up the thread. You do realize though that the constant quoting of me and asking me question in a tone that is far from civil is much more disruptive to the thread than anything I posted? I'll say it again if it's off topic or I offend any of you that much by my opinion than why don't you just ignore it? It's really that simple.

Looks like the real problem here is, this thread seems to be one of the "not so DIY Audio" pointers thread, where those with commercial interests and products can probe each others IP, sort of like writing a patent such that the examiner will approve it as having legs, but witholding enough info to truly protect the trade secret that makes it unique (and hopefully profitable).

All those DIY'ers not in the industry posting her, raise your hands...:D;)

Any suggestions?
I was under the impression that the 2sk369 was about the best I could get for the purpose.

Magura :)

Unfortunately some of these might be equally obsolete, I was thinking of things like the old E410 series from Siliconix which might be available from Linear Systems. The noise gets down to 3nV or so and the C's are only 1-3pF. By linearity I mean gos. The input Vgs-Id transfer function is the same square law for all FET's.

EDIT- Hand matched 2SK222's would give you a good go too. 10mS at 1mA and only 8-10pF.

Last edited:
Looks like the real problem here is, this thread seems to be one of the "not so DIY Audio" pointers thread, where those with commercial interests and products can probe each others IP, sort of like writing a patent such that the examiner will approve it as having legs, but witholding enough info to truly protect the trade secret that makes it unique (and hopefully profitable).

All those DIY'ers not in the industry posting her, raise your hands...:D;)

Don't quite get the drift here, I certainly am not in the audio industry. The non-DIY aspect to me is "if you can't get X unobtainable part there is no point in proceeding".

Well, what I have to say is this: I predict that IF you parallel two 2sk389's with an Idss at 8ma, you will have more input capacitance, that one 2sk389 with an Idss of 16ma. Geometry rules, not Idss. You know, twice the surface area in the device's effective geometry gives more input capacitance. Idss is controlled by another variable, does anyone know what it is?

Unfortunately some of these might be equally obsolete, I was thinking of things like the old E410 series from Siliconix which might be available from Linear Systems. The noise gets down to 3nV or so and the C's are only 1-3pF. By linearity I mean gos. The input Vgs-Id transfer function is the same square law for all FET's.

EDIT- Hand matched 2SK222's would give you a good go too. 10mS at 1mA and only 8-10pF.

Hmm, they both are about as obsolete as they come. At least the usual suspects didn't have any.
Something tells me that I should just be happy about the stock of 2sk369bl.

First things first. We know that the LSK170 (for example) can have a wide Idss range, even up to 29ma. Why? What is the mechanism for the spread in Idss? It is not geometry, is it? Don't they all look the same under the microscope?

John, now look, those who knows don't bother playing your little games, those who don't know, also don't bother playing your little games.

So, guess what?

Either explain what you claim to know, or don't, but really, get a hold of yourself.

Nobody bothers playing your little games.

What can I say? It's a damned shame. You're having a bad day.

Any idea how much capacitance vary for different samples of the same device? Also, do you guys use the data sheet values for capacitance or you actually measure the device at hand? If you measure, is the procedure involved?

FYI - Data sheets unfortunately use the concept of Ciss and Crss. The extrapolated zero bias capacitances and formula for C vs V (usually ~1/3 power law) is the way SPICE does it and I find this preferable. In this case Cgs and Cgd are usually about the same value. The main point is that you can compute the correct value for each in your circuit.

Status
Not open for further replies.