John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part II

Status
Not open for further replies.
AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Yes, that is another way to do it, but you would still need two servos - one each for the outputs.

With JC's approach, one servo compares the average of the two outputs with ground and applies a common-mode adjustment while the second servo compares the two outputs with each other and applies a differential-mode adjustment.

Yes I understand, I was trying to see which method had an advantage over the other. Can't see it at the moment except the point Stuart made about the accuracy.

Also, JC stated that with separate servo's at each output you would lose the differential correction which I don't see either; if both outputs are controlled to ground, the differential offset is automatically controlled to zero.

jd

AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
I don't recall saying anything is wrong about separate servos, I just don't do it that way. Whether one way is better, I am not sure. I am TRYING to explain the servos on the schematic.

No, but you said:

[snip] When you are comparing the two outputs to ground, you lose the difference between the two outputs. [snip].

... which is not correct. When you are comparing (nulling) both outputs to ground, you are also ensuring that they are equal, ie no differential offset between the outputs.

jd

This is a situation where actual operation is very useful, like in a lab. If you remove one servo, the output will change in one way. If you change to the other servo and remove it instead, you see a different output change, or error. One is called a common mode error, the other is called a differential mode error. They are different in character, but they are both errors.

Yes. And you work in a most linear portion of the transfer characteristics and get lowest noise as well. Interestingly enough, most even well known designers run the JFETs at low idle in audio preamps. Like 2mA for a 10mA Idss device. Any good reason to make it so? I can guess the only one - part selection not needed then.

The gm is the same at 2ma (plus or minus a little) and noise is actually a fairly weak function of drain current (gm -> square root, noise -> fourth root). I can certainly see designs where input gm figures into the BW and stability issues. Not all circuits are open-loop.

But linearity of transfer characteristics is much better near to Idss. And even for FB designs there are no stability issues - depends on overall design. If you compare high and low idle, you get both lower distortion and better sound :)))at high idle.

Attachments

• SK170.GIF
    SK170.GIF
    12.3 KB · Views: 347
Last edited:
However, I use parts with Idss OVER 15 ma for the CTC Blowtorch. See everyone how difficult that is to copy?

Only for the reason that 15mA is very high for a BL so very few would land
in that zone and V's are very hard to find - for us mere mortals :)

Having said that, I think 10mA BL's are fine - you will find the IP device
transfer curve is the least of your worries in the Blowtorch design. Other
non linearities will take precedence over the difference between a few mA
Idss IP devices, obviously provided they are all matched.

T

Look everyone, I had to 'cherry-pick' from 100's of devices to get the high Idss parts that make it easiest to get lowest distortion, with low Cin, and highest peak output current.
You can approximate it with paralleling input devices, but then you will have twice the input capacitance, and you had better not use more than a 10K input pot, or you will have a lot of extra distortion.

Interestingly enough, most even well known designers run the JFETs at low idle in audio preamps. Like 2mA for a 10mA Idss device. Any good reason to make it so? I can guess the only one - part selection not needed then.

hand sorted

That's it, definitely. Or just sorted.

Also, the high idle is difficult in the monolithic ICs. I assume we have collected enough good reasons why to go discrete.

Look everyone, I had to 'cherry-pick' from 100's of devices to get the high Idss parts that make it easiest to get lowest distortion, with low Cin, and highest peak output current.
You can approximate it with paralleling input devices, but then you will have twice the input capacitance, and you had better not use more than a 10K input pot, or you will have a lot of extra distortion.

You might just as well select for Cin and assume that IDss does not change.
For me, it appears quite shortsighted to think that one gets the same input capacitance
for average and extreme IDss&gm devices made on the same process.

I'd bet there is a correlation. I'll check this next week with BF862 if I have left enough of them.

Gerhard

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.