John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part II

Status
Not open for further replies.
Joined 2002
Paid Member
the Korg 2000, which is a better product than most here use. It would appear to this engineer that it is the ANALOG part of the electronics that is the primary weakness. Digital seems to be working as expected. Perhaps that is a good part of the bass problem.

I was struck by how good the thing is stock out of the box. I don't really like DSD for a few reasons but it works in this case. Good to know it could be improved upon.

No, but I do know a few things. :D

Yes, I'll allow the philosophical possibility that someone has set up a controlled listening test, demonstrated the audibility of an ADA chain, then not published this remarkable result anywhere.

That is almost done all the time in most recording studios. They listen to the live mix and monitor what comes back from the recorder. When it doesn't sound close enough, they gotta play. Usually with send levels, sometimes with swapping gear, rarely with hot metal tools.

No double blind, no statistical control, just "Engineer'" ego err skill.

Actually the send level if too high on live recordings is the major source of distortion.

I am unfamiliar with the concept of too large an ego as they are all smaller than mine.

Arf!

And too, the technical requirements for analog electronics connected to digital convertors are insanely high. Giant spikes with vertical risetimes, everything fast and loose, lots and lots to go wrong. But things are getting better mostly. Really needs vacuum valves to be conservative, but good enough is good enough.

Thanks,
Chris

Probably not. It seems it depends mainly upon the ears used to observe what is going on. There really are some folks who don't notice. MP3 forever or some such.

I picked up word from the street that SY once took part in an informal ABX-listening test of original vs. 3 differently compressed MPEG's, and that he was the only one that ranked them in the right order. Some engineering sense does not stand in the way of having fully operational ears, apparently.

vac

As a change from the usual, I might say that I had lunch with Jack Bybee today. He picked me up in the Bentley, but I wasn't as overawed by it, compared to a year or so earlier. We discussed shot noise suppression in an atomic point contact. I thought it was interesting, so did he. It is related to quantum resistors, remember them? Our new power amp design, just passed a direct comparison test at a musical conservatory, to the JC-1's, but at 1/2 the price or less, and 1/20 the heat dissipation. Engineering marches on! '-)

It is related to quantum resistors, remember them? '-)

What next, time to drop Feynman's name again YAWN!? Where did you eat? I find Chez Pannise to be getting a little long in the tooth, the Quaker French thing has its limits. They are being very PC and no longer offer a lot of the luxury ingredients. I personally don't care but the usual suspects probably want to nail those goose feet down and look the other way.

Last edited:
Hello John

Whats the name of the new amplifier I will be looking out for it in the market, and will it be under the Parasound or Constellation audio banner or another high end audio company.

By the way would you have photo of the setup at the conservatory, I am sure there are lots of people on this forum besides me who would be interested.

Regards
Arthur

Status
Not open for further replies.