John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part II

Status
Not open for further replies.
I want to thank everyone who contributes here in a positive manner. That may be a matter of opinion, but IF I can learn something new, or perhaps only possible, be it wire, electronics, hearing, etc., I am grateful. None of us knows 'everything' about any subject, and most of us probably know 'less' than we were told that we know, from our 'degrees', books read, etc.. Being open to other people's contributions is the key.

John, exactly, since this thread is periferal but close to my aoe, I am learning even more. Many thanks for the effort you are putting into it.

The bum thing is that we have all become impregnated by the subversive philosophies of Timothy Leary, and since you are one of the authorities, you will be questioned. Even by people who can't think for themselves all that well, a group I am in most of the time,

vac

Now that we have gotten that out of the way: Let's talk about a 'controversial' subject, without actually coming to any specific conclusions. I would like to talk about 'wires'. Connecting between components, and between amps and loudspeakers.
This is just an example of a 'controversial subject'. There are many others, but we all know a little about this controversy.
Now, what is the history of wires? If you go back 40 years, you will find that 'bottom line' connecting cable, usually with a spiral shield and tin plated, stamped RCA connectors with some sort of plasticized cardboard as an insulator was standard. The mating RCA connectors on even the best consumer audio equipment was made the same way. Gold, silver, what is that? That's for jewelry.
What about speaker cable? 18 ga zip cord was standard, 16 ga zip cord for the discriminating, and 14 ga Belden for the really exotic. That is all there was to it. (more later)

Now that we have gotten that out of the way: Let's talk about a 'controversial' subject, without actually coming to any specific conclusions. I would like to talk about 'wires'. Connecting between components, and between amps and loudspeakers.
This is just an example of a 'controversial subject'. There are many others, but we all know a little about this controversy.
Now, what is the history of wires? If you go back 40 years, you will find that 'bottom line' connecting cable, usually with a spiral shield and tin plated, stamped RCA connectors with some sort of plasticized cardboard as an insulator was standard. The mating RCA connectors on even the best consumer audio equipment was made the same way. Gold, silver, what is that? That's for jewelry.
What about speaker cable? 18 ga zip cord was standard, 16 ga zip cord for the discriminating, and 14 ga Belden for the really exotic. That is all there was to it. (more later)

Interesting and wide area of views, experience etc.

Like to start with a view of AJ van den Hul, he stated some (25?) years ago that the crystalline structure of the material is importand. Another point is Kondo, called the silversmith, who argued that silver is the best material - and we all know that he uses it for his caps foil as well.

Anyway, a large area for experiments and opinions. Current I use copper but like to experiment with silver wires as well. Let's see...

Cables ..... yes, they DO "sound" different. Why? No answers in THD, IMD. Some differences in RFI pickup and in "time responses". Good theme.

Attachments

• VDH_cables.PNG
    VDH_cables.PNG
    84.7 KB · Views: 264
John,

Now, what is the history of wires? If you go back 40 years, you will find that 'bottom line' connecting cable, usually with a spiral shield and tin plated, stamped RCA connectors with some sort of plasticized cardboard as an insulator was standard. The mating RCA connectors on even the best consumer audio equipment was made the same way.

In Deutschland we used DIN connectors, the wire usually was tinplated copper in shield, the connectors where usually nickelplated plated brass, though some seems to also have been silverplated, judging by how it tarnished...

Pro Audio in east germany used "Tuchel" BTW, silverplated brass contacts.

Speaker cables where normally fixed at the box end, around 16 Gauge in american money and fitted with the DIN Speaker Plug. Again, similar materials as in the DIN Line connections.

Incidentally, in East Germany the Phonostage was usually build into the turntable!

Ciao T

We did not use DIN connectors as much in the USA. DIN connectors, all else being equal, were probably better than the American RCA jacks in almost every case. However, the results were essentially the same. Nothing exotic, subject to contamination over time, probable RF pickup in worst case situations.

Maybe the difference in sound for cables can be explained by the fact that they have different capacitance, inductance and even resistance (although that should be small compared to the rest of the circuit).
Some amplifiers can be sensitive to the reactive impedance at its output (capacitance + inductance), therefore they will sound slightly different.
I would expect the tube amps to be more sensitive to their output cables than the transistor amps, although there could be exceptions in both categories.

Can this hypothesis be ruled out easily ?

Data would be nice, but you've been clear that you can't hear these differences unless you peek. No data forthcoming from anyone else, either, after decades of claims. Life's too short, fix the important things.

BTW, since tube amps tend to have a higher source Z than SS, they are also less sensitive to variations in cable impedance.

Status
Not open for further replies.