John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part II

Status
Not open for further replies.
A little extreme, in fact the personal attacks have diminished considerably. On the cable, I think Ken's words were "So much for Lenz, so much for reactance". Well it would be hard to measure the L and C of a cable with only one of the conductors. Two plastic tubes with liquid metal will have an L, R, and C just like any other cable. You can compute the rate of fall of the magnet in the tube from the physical properties and dimensions of the tube and magnet.

BTW my wife walked into a gunfight in Texas back in the 70's.

It puts things in perspective.

Actually one of the local profs likes to do demos where things like L, C & R modeling are called into question.

But yes I would be very interested in seeing and playing with a demonstration where applying anything to the outside of a copper tube would change how the magnet inside would drop.

I presume you wife came out OK and now really does know when to duck.

The University of Texas now requires students to check their guns at the student housing desk. They didn't before the tower shootings.

But yes I would be very interested in seeing and playing with a demonstration where applying anything to the outside of a copper tube would change how the magnet inside would drop.

wouldn't any conductor, magnetic material? - you should get plenty of external flux for wall thickness less than several x skin depth for a magnet with much length dimension ratio with dia, wall thickness

could also cryo cool the copper

a physics puzzle possibility: given a magnet, copper tube - make a thermometer?

Hi Ed,

Let us look at this in perspective. Anyone ever have some one try to kill them? I don't just mean being in harm's way, but knowing you were a target for specific reasons.

The time in the east german paramilitary when they accidentally drove our armoured car into the path of a 50 cal machine gun (which penetrated this car's armour) during a life fire excercise counts as "in harm's way" I guess.

My run-in's with the eastern european mafia in the very early 90's while running clubs probably where more serious, but if you see someone storming your office in full russian military body armour and with an AK-47 ready (that would be me BTW, with some of my security guys) you shoot them in the head if you mean to kill them, not where the speznaz flack jacket catches the bullets (I was sore for two weeks though), so I guess they did not really try so it count as "in harms way" too.

As the east german secret police made a special point of NOT beating you up themselves in most of their prisons (well, at least the ones I can talk about, there where rumours about some for really hard cases, the kind you really did not want to go to) - they had the real criminals beat up the political prisoners instead usually on odds like 3:1 and the guards broke up the "fight" after 20 minutes and confined the "political" to a week of solitary for starting it - and they made sure you died of "natural causes" (at least in the paperwork) or "industrial accidents" if they wanted to kill you, that does not count either I guess, just in harms way...

BUT, there was that Jamaican drugdealer ex boyfriend of my ex. drug addict girlfriend in the late 90's (and future drug addict as I found out to my displeasure).

But while the will was there very much on his part (he did even had a gun, but could not even load and un-safety it), there was neither the skill not the weight or muscles or other means.

So I guess he does not count either (he was so pathetic, when the old bill came to collect him he would not get up until I told him so, telling then policeman to tell me not to do anything anything bad to him if he followed the police orders, as I had promised him he would be dead if he moved - he believed it well enough).

Oh, there was that turkish guy in East Berlin in 1986, I still have the scars all over my left palm from taking his knife away from him by the blade... He really did try, but in the end it was my friends pulling me away that stopped me from killing him. Amateurs.

So yes, at least in one case, two if count that 9mm round I would have shot at my forehead and not my body armoured chest, had I been shooting, not catching. Some more if we are generous.

And no, they are all NOT just stories.

So unless there is a reason to take it to that level we could try to keep it friendly.

Surely, we are friendly?

Did you note anyone load and lock or bringing out the long knifes?

Maybe my sense of reality is skewed by my history, but "sticks and stones (plus landmines, assault rifles, 50 cal machine guns and other stuff)" and "not words"? You can say anything to me, I do not care, it does not hurt me.

Trust me, the worst I have encountered here, directed at me (or others) seems very, very, extremely mild to some of my lesser experiences, even though they are mild next to what happens every day in certain corners of the world (I do count myself lucky).

Now My OPINION is that you can see someones personality not just face to face, not even just from these kinds of contacts, but even from things as arcane as how they build a product.

ABSO - FUNKING - LUTELY.

Now one of my young apprentices every so often when he goes out in the field and meets someone new is every so often told he is lucky to work for a guy who is so nice. So it is possible to fool people. I suggest that a few more of you might want to present that face... otherwise I might let you experience what was mentioned here first. :)

Well, Ed, I have been censured repeatedly here for no worse than speaking or more precisely writing bluntly. It seems underappreciated.

And to be honest, I have neither the will nor the time to even try to fool people. Not even if should be for their own good. Where is the benefit?

Maybe everyone should spend time being shot at by accident, being arrested (and worse) for nothing more sinister than holding and expressing an opinion not officially sanctioned and all the other stuff.

I find facing death a few times and staring him down, facing those who would like nothing better than for you to bend (over?) or break and yet to neither bend nor break, does build character, if at a cost. But hey, nothing, except life is for free.

Still, while I would not give up any of these experiences; after all, they made me precisely what I am [apprecite it or not] and without them I would would be someone else; I would sincerely wish for a world in which no single other person, not even my worst enemy, would have to face anything like it. Then we can be polite, nice and detached.

In the meantime - Dudes, KEEP IT REAL.

Life is too short and precious for bu11$h1t. Take my word.

Ciao T

PS, If you have to be an egghead, you might as well be a hard-boiled one.

Besides you, SY?

Yes. I go after ideas that appear to be mistaken or unlikely (and have no supporting evidence). I've never gone after you personally (quite the opposite, we've always been personally friendly), nor have I ever said anything even vaguely negative about your work- again, quite the opposite, I've endorsed your designs repeatedly and enthusiastically. The work of some of your friends, not so much.

Actually one of the local profs likes to do demos where things like L, C & R modeling are called into question.

What does the local prof do exactly ?
And I would also be very interested in the things that affect the magnet inside the copper tube, so, anyone who knows of such experiments, please post information here.

Status
Not open for further replies.