John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part II

Status
Not open for further replies.
...when something impossible happens, one of the following must be true:
1. It wasn't impossible - there is a rational explanation, although we might not know what it is.
2. It didn't happen - for whatever reason, people were fooled.
3. Something supernatural has happened.

...Which of the three options above is the best explanation?

There's a fourth possibility as well, which you were too polite to bring up. But I'm working off the hypothesis that #1 is the answer and I'm trying to get enough from Charles to understand what the rational explanation is. It's still unclear what the "pairs" were, but if they are digital files (whether data or software), it costs him nothing to send them to me, and perhaps something useful and interesting will result.

AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
There seems to be a lot of interest and a lot of confusion regarding the listening tests I performed with computer audio playback.

I wasn't listening to different files. I was listening to different software programs playing back those files.

There is one group of know-nothings that says they couldn't sound different unless the bits delivered to the DAC were different. Well, the bits were the same. That is why I performed the test -- to convince the programmer that the way his program delivered the bits could make an audible difference.

There is another group of know-nothings that claims that there could be an audible difference, but only because the two programs had different amounts of jitter in the output data stream. Wrong. The DAC in question was an asynchronous USB DAC with the master clock in that box. There is a buffer for the incoming audio data and a feedback pipeline that tells the computer to send data more quickly or less quickly, depending on how full the buffer is. There is no contamination from the computer or ground loops because the DAC has total galvanic isolation from the computer via opto-isolators.

I have no idea why the two programs sounded different. I just know that they did, and I proved it with a blind test.

There is a third group of know-nothings that says "Oh, well, one in eight chances is not statistically significant. The result is meaningless." To them I say "Go bugger off." The result would have been the same with three trials or three hundred trials. But it's not like flipping a coin. It actually takes work to do these tests. I might spend an hour or two listening to be sure of my decision. I have better things to do than waste my time doing more trials. Why? Because no matter how many I do, it would never be enough.

If I did 1000 trials and got them all right, this group would say, "Well, he is just an outlier and a normal person could never hear the difference" or some other namby-pamby excuse. Like I said, go bugger off.

... then again, if there were arguments instead of the swear words, we'd all be convinced mightily by now ;)

jan didden

Digital File Errors

...I wasn't listening to different files. I was listening to different software programs playing back those files...

Agreed on this. There is a huge difference between different software's ability to adequately play HDD files. In some cases (as I have seen with Winamp) merely increasing the program's buffer fixes the issue. In other cases, the quality differences are due to some program feature (bug) that cannot be circumvented (WMP-just try to get it to play VBR mp3!). Sometimes it is due to underlying data transfer issues due to CPU utilization, bus congestion or HDD sub-system latency.

It is possible that two files that pass a bit-for-bit equivalency test on the same HDD can play differently if one is fragmented on the HDD and causes buffer depletion.

A few years ago before SATA performance became adequate we had to use Ultra320 SCSI in our mastering machines to keep transfer rates high enough to eliminate data corruption in our glass masters at 8x mastering speed, even though no errors were reported in the process, they were found by bit-for-bit comparisons of the resulting glass with the source. This proves something I have always hated about digital audio, especially that done in the PC or Mac domain: error detection, correction and reporting is entirely determined by the will and skill of the coder, not by any nature of the medium. This means belief in digital's perfection on playback is largely matter of faith, not fact. The firmware in CD mastering systems and players has largely been improved and proofed over the last 30 years. Still....

Howard Hoyt
CE - WXYC-FM 89.3
UNC Chapel Hill, NC
www.wxyc.org
1st on the Internet

Ahhh, too bad, I recently bought a CD player that uses lots of AD844 IC op-amps in its analog stage and that I thought was still a "high-end" product but obviously it is not. But then again you can't have it all ...

As Rafiki told the young Lion King, "L O O K C L O S E R R R..."

Those are not op-amps. An op-amp (by definition) operates by using feedback. Our 7-series products use Analog Devices AD844's (designed by the great, but very stubborn, Barrie Gilbert) in the analog signal path, but with no feedback. So while the part was designed to be used as a current-feedback op-amp, we don't use it that way. Just one reason that they are in the "Class A" rating in Stereophile.

You own it, so you tell me if it sounds "high-end" or not.

It was nice to hear a polite measured rebuttal from Mr. Hansen.

As a mere "know-nothing" can I say that when something impossible happens, one of the following must be true:
1. It wasn't impossible - there is a rational explanation, although we might not know what it is.
2. It didn't happen - for whatever reason, people were fooled.
3. Something supernatural has happened.

We are being asked to believe that identical data with identical timings can sound reliably different. I regard this as a claim that something impossible has happened. Which of the three options above is the best explanation?

I agree with your analysis. I am confident that #1 is the correct answer.

I agree with your analysis. I am confident that #1 is the correct answer.

Barrie would be with the know-nothings on this. If #1 is the answer why couch the problem as essentially violating first principles? Sorry that Heisenberg, Shannon, et al are wrong, in the case of audio, will not figure into your answer.

It has been said elsewhere that somehow data files "remember" their history and it is contained in them in some unknown mysterious way that is not yet known. Yawn.

Good luck SY, probably transmitting the files will break the mojo.

Last edited:
<snip>
There is a third group of know-nothings that says "Oh, well, one in eight chances is not statistically significant. The result is meaningless." To them I say "Go bugger off." The result would have been the same with three trials or three hundred trials. But it's not like flipping a coin. It actually takes work to do these tests. I might spend an hour or two listening to be sure of my decision. I have better things to do than waste my time doing more trials. Why? Because no matter how many I do, it would never be enough.

If I did 1000 trials and got them all right, this group would say, "Well, he is just an outlier and a normal person could never hear the difference" or some other namby-pamby excuse. Like I said, go bugger off.

While i understand all the concerns, the question is if someone takes the hardship of a 3 trial test, why not just add 2 or three more trials to get past the normally accepted level of significance barrier of 0.05?

In the one tailed case a number of 5 trials brakes that barrier (actual p=0.031). In the two tailed case you´d need 6 trials to get down to p=0.031 .

Of course a controlled listening test isn´t really fun, and it is not like flipping a coin, but unfortunately the statistics is the same as for flipping a coin.

If you are testing pairs and choosing one or the other three times in a row is a valid result, then the chance for guessing is 1:4 but not 1:8 .

Barrie would be with the know-nothings on this. If #1 is the answer why couch the problem as essentially violating first principles? Sorry that Heisenberg, Shannon, et al are wrong, in the case of audio, will not figure into your answer.

It has been said elsewhere that somehow data files "remember" their history and it is contained in them in some unknown mysterious way that is not yet known. Yawn.

Good luck SY, probably transmitting the files will break the mojo.

Scott & SY,

This is one of those items where we clearly disagree. My read on this is we have an anecdotal story of being able to distinguish different so called perfect signals WITHOUT knowing all of the exact details. So is the deed true? My OPINION would be yes. What was the difference? Don't know, that information is best known by the programmer. We can't even agree on what an error less file is. Is it the actual file or the error corrected final product?

Now is it reasonable that a programmer insisted his work was proper and others did not agree? Then when motivated by some demonstration of perhaps magical powers went back to work and changed things? A reasonable explanation but again we do not have sufficient information to determine very much.

ES

No SY, I haven't read anything about your comments on wine, except what I have read here on this website. I also don't criticize your appreciation for different wines, either. That is the difference.

Short memory. Better cut out the aluminum in your cookware. In brief, DBTs are routinely used in wine evaluation. I spent 12 years of my career designing and performing these tests. To qualify for any sort of certification (MW, MS, WCET) or to qualify as a judge at competitions or for sensory panels, candidates must take and pass a series of DBTs.

So, your analogy (for the 50th time, at least) is thoroughly incorrect and based on a totally false premise, which you've been told again and again is false. 42.

Barrie believes in the serious generation of PIM distortion by 'standard' op amps. Do you agree with him, Scott?

No, he showed how little was generated by a made up 40yr old style op-amp. As I said before "serious" never entered into it, he finds people quoting his article this way quite silly.

To jog your memory the real tempest was over the in-harmonic frequencies, another impossibility.

Last edited:
My read on this is we have an anecdotal story of being able to distinguish different so called perfect signals WITHOUT knowing all of the exact details. So is the deed true? My OPINION would be yes. What was the difference? Don't know, that information is best known by the programmer. We can't even agree on what an error less file is. Is it the actual file or the error corrected final product?

Well, I don't know, either- if the same bits are delivered at the same time to the DAC, then claims of audible differences are suspect. If the claims of audible differences are correct, then there's a reason and that's why I've asked (several times) for the files in question.

Well, I don't know, either- if the same bits are delivered at the same time to the DAC, then claims of audible differences are suspect. If the claims of audible differences are correct, then there's a reason and that's why I've asked (several times) for the files in question.

And I am perfectly happy to believe there is a difference that he heard. That would strongly suggest the answer without wasting time, offending anyone or just encouraging flames.

Status
Not open for further replies.