John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part II

Status
Not open for further replies.
Men Are From Mars, Women Are From Venus....

I agree with you.
I like to do quick A/B tests, without the X (see below), to help me find the differences between two components. Adding the random part just plays tricks to my mind in the hard task of finding SUBTLE differences.
Blind ABX works only when the differences are so big that even a deaf person (which usually match with one looking at the scope first) can hear them.
Once it is found that there are audible differences, it's often more difficult to decide what is BETTER, and that usually require a long-term listening of both DUTs.
Thanks. You are another of several agreeing with me.

On the subject on deciding on whether a mod/change or different device is better, yes I agree with you that this can take extended listening.
That said I have done much experimenting using a soldering iron with the tip earthing connection switched to open circuit so that mods such as component or component value change can be done on the fly and this is a very good way of learning to discern VERY subtle differences.

With enough practice at this, one learns to remove the expectation that any change (or gear) is for the better, and one also learns to much more quickly, if not immediately decide if any change is for the better or detriment.
Longer term listening invariably confirms that initial appraisal, provided that listening skills levels are suitably high.

When gear is essentially 'blameless', reasonable sonic 'realism' is generally assured, and when gear is at this level one then needs to then 'listen' to the mind/body connection reaction which ranges from pleasing, involving and comforting through to subtle irritation, unease or 'inner' tension.
It is these qualities that differentiate good gear from first class gear.
I propose that many listeners listen only with their ears, and have not advanced to tuning into their 'subconcious' body/mind reactions.

I find women in particular, with no technical knowledge will express these emotive reactions far more readily than the typically male technically knowledgeable listener, and communicate these emotive judgements in black and white terms such as "that's (very) nice, ....or "turn it down or turn it off, I can't stand any more".

Dave.

AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
[snip]However you didn't reply my question why you rely on reputation and technical specs when you trust your ears to perform listening tests, or why you perform listening tests if you don't trust your ears?[snip].

Well, I'm sorry then. I DID reply, and I have been trying to explain that as best as I could; apparently I have not succeeded.

jan didden

May I tell you about my perpetual motion machine?

It should not come as a surprise to you I decided to try one of the internet perpetual motion machines!

The one I picked had you insert an insulated zinc rod inside a copper water pipe that was in service. The claim was you could get a small voltage from the zinc-chlorine-copper battery. Since this was also known as a "Daniel" cell and should provide 1.1 volts actually enough to dimly light an LED this seemed at having a reasonable shot at being mistaken for a perpetual motion machine.

Lasted a few months, seems copper water pipe oxidizes on the inside and reduces the available potential. (My OPINION I did not test for this.)

So apparently perpetual is about 90 days!

Now it may be my bias showing as I did not expect perpetual motion, or I may have failed to perceive the energy being produced. It even could be I failed to construct the device properly. So for the time being I will still pay the electric company.

Soundminded, I still can't get into: 'Prelude from Tristan and Isolde' even with a good orchestra, and that was the middle selection. The other two might have been worth it.

Have no fear. It's nothing to be ashamed about. Neither can I. I'm no fan of Wagner. Right now I'm listening to a lot of Medtner. Fascinating music for me. Rachmaninoff loved this composer, they were also close friends. Tozer has recorded much of his music on Chandos. I've got quite a few and intend to buy more. Try Fairy Tale Opus 20 No. 1.

YouTube - N. Medtner, Fairy Tale Op.20, No.1

AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
It should not come as a surprise to you I decided to try one of the internet perpetual motion machines!

The one I picked had you insert an insulated zinc rod inside a copper water pipe that was in service. The claim was you could get a small voltage from the zinc-chlorine-copper battery. Since this was also known as a "Daniel" cell and should provide 1.1 volts actually enough to dimly light an LED this seemed at having a reasonable shot at being mistaken for a perpetual motion machine.

Lasted a few months, seems copper water pipe oxidizes on the inside and reduces the available potential. (My OPINION I did not test for this.)

So apparently perpetual is about 90 days!

Now it may be my bias showing as I did not expect perpetual motion, or I may have failed to perceive the energy being produced. It even could be I failed to construct the device properly. So for the time being I will still pay the electric company.

Did you also measure the input power, for instance as extra water pressure required to overcome the tube's friction?
Or was it supposed to work with no water fow?

jan didden

Yes, soundmeister, I agree, my wife has expressed her disapproval of my modifications in the past with admonitions as you have stated - "turn it down". Her HF hearing is surprsingly high for her age, far higher than mine & probably explains some of her reactions to sounds that annoy her.

Last edited:
Right on, soundmeister. Reading your input made me think about how they fit lenses for glasses, at least the 'old fashioned way' They change the lenses up and down in power until YOU decide it is right. Where is the BIAS in that? Should every lens change give you a perceived improvement? Same with audio.

With enough practice at this, one learns to remove the expectation that any change (or gear) is for the better, and one also learns to much more quickly, if not immediately decide if any change is for the better or detriment.
Longer term listening invariably confirms that initial appraisal, provided that listening skills levels are suitably high.

When gear is essentially 'blameless', reasonable sonic 'realism' is generally assured, and when gear is at this level one then needs to then 'listen' to the mind/body connection reaction which ranges from pleasing, involving and comforting through to subtle irritation, unease or 'inner' tension.
It is these qualities that differentiate good gear from first class gear.
I propose that many listeners listen only with their ears, and have not advanced to tuning into their 'subconcious' body/mind reactions.

I find women in particular, with no technical knowledge will express these emotive reactions far more readily than the typically male technically knowledgeable listener, and communicate these emotive judgements in black and white terms such as "that's (very) nice, ....or "turn it down or turn it off, I can't stand any more".

Dave.

Well said.

Joined 2002
Paid Member
Originally posted by John Curl
Well done, Joshua. I'm glad that you went forward anyway, even though I had to wince a few times, when you (and I) were attacked, and people were using your academic background (or lack of it) against you with standard debating techniques. This is NOT a level playing field and everybody knows it.
Unfortunately, I do take an 'authoritarian' stance, often because I am a recognized authority on audio electronic design. I am certainly NOT the only authority on this, but I have earned that rating. However, my imperfect social skills sometimes paint me into a corner, where people will go after me on matters large and small, just to bring me down a peg.
The real problem here is a matter of 'belief'. This happens often in the history of science and psychology. Any study of the history of science will show where a dominant belief system AT THE TIME, virtually overwhelms any dissent, yet it will not last forever.
For example, Freudian Psychology, and its rigid practice of psychotherapy. When I was much younger I had 5 years of it. Boy, were they rigid! And opinionated too!

YouTube - Bogus Psychiatrists:D

Regards
George

Did you also measure the input power, for instance as extra water pressure required to overcome the tube's friction?
Or was it supposed to work with no water fow?

jan didden

Actually I live up a hill and the water from the river below still comes out of my tap, so the folks who think water only flows down hill must be wrong. So by that logic the zinc tube should allow more water to flow. So maybe it really is a perpetual motion machine!

Yes, soundmeister, I agree, my wife has expressed her disapproval of my modifications in the past with admonitions as you have stated - "turn it down". Her HF hearing is surprsingly high for her age, far higher than mine & probably explains some of her reactions to sounds that annoy her.

Never ran into that myself, the reactions to the content overwealmed any judgement of the reproduction.

I am pretty sure that if I put a pump at the top of the hill and tried to draw water from the river it would not work.

But what does that have to do with people who think water only flows down hill?

Exactly, or people who actually think gravity works. The fools! :)

Of course, water can flow uphill for a bit if siphoned. This thread is taking a strange turn.

Status
Not open for further replies.