John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part II

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Tryphon,
Now you have it!
Hi, anatech,

Thanks for the tip.
The time to kiss the Castafiore and I go underground.

Tryphon.

Attachments

• casta.jpg
    casta.jpg
    13.8 KB · Views: 210
Last edited:
yes, similar remembrance but I am not going to bother myself to spend time finding it for some one else. It was a couple centuries ago I read about it. One reads and reads and remembers and moves on.

THx-RNMarsh

What is a forum about? Interesting (hopefully) and civil (hopefully) discussions, sharing ideas and helping each other out.

Ask yourself, if you had a question, did you appreciate the answer "go look for yourself" ? :)

Scott, was that an exaggeration or is that really the amount of gain needed to detect gravitational waves?

I just converted the SNR over the background seismic noise to dB. I suppose a better estimate would be the ratio of detected strain to the equivalent motion of a loudspeaker (still huge) . The comment was more to point out the chirp they show is audible and has not been converted in frequency.

Last edited:
.....The comment was more to point out the chirp they show is audible and has not been converted in frequency.
I have not before heard that the 'famous' chirp is indeed at audio base band.
My first listen and subsequent listens reminds me very much of the sound of the final part of a coin precessing onto a hard flat surface like a glass table top.

Dan.

Last edited:
Honourable members,

In my publication: #97186, I wrote:
"Dynamic range of particle energy in the universe is thus 10²³, or 460 dB!"

This was from this article: Tikalon Blog by Dev Gualtieri.

At first sight, nothing was looking strange to me, because I'm not used to deal with signal/noise ratios in this range ;-).

But, to follow my own rules "Never believe, verify by yourself", i made myself the calculation and the result was quite different. Because we are talking of "energy", I believe the right formula is 10log (10²³) and its result is 240dB.
But even if we calculate in amplitude, 20log(10²³) the result should be 480 and not 460.

I want to offer you my most humble apologies for this huge mistake that endangers the delicate balance of our universe.

Your devoted,
Tryphon Tournesol.

Is there an industry standard to insure consistent phasing throughout the initial recording, mixing, production process?

yes, though it gets manipulated in a lot of equipment along the way for pop (multi-track) recording.

Is it better that there is correct absolute phase or less comb filtering because of off axis/background signals? Subjective decisions.

In some more "purist" jazz or classical recordings, which are more accurately reproduction of acoustic sound fields, you can end up fairly easily with a product in your hand that is acoustically phase accurate.

Most of the time it is not deemed interesting as the product is a creation, not a re-creation.

Cheers
Alan

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi TheGimp,
It's not possible to keep everything in "absolute phase". The consoles and multitrack machines keep everything in phase, but the outboard gear doesn't for the most part. There is so much of it in use that it would be a project to label everything so you could maintain accurate phase. At least the balanced lines are usually done properly, but I have been to some smaller studios where the standards have not been maintained!

It is possible to produce a project that has correct absolute phase, but as Alan correctly pointed out, it isn't a priority. At 3 AM after a lot of coffee (or alcohol), they tend to only care about "the sound" and will patch gear in and out without any thought beyond how it sounds.

To sum it up, don't count on the source material to have correct absolute phase.

-Chris

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi Triphon,
The XLR balanced circuits are only an adapter at each end of a piece of gear. The absolute phase may be "flipped" inside before the XLR adapter. Making sure the XLR is wired correctly only means you haven't caused a problem.

I have seen the inverted phase all wired to common ground before. Unfortunately it was an active adapter and several channels out of 16 were blown. (Tascam MS-16). You really never know even with wiring standards in place.

-Chris

Hi Triphon,
The XLR balanced circuits are only an adapter at each end of a piece of gear. The absolute phase may be "flipped" inside before the XLR adapter.
Dear anatech,
Can't we imagine that *real* pro gear sold in large numbers has been verified by so many technical managers of various studios, radios, PA companies, rental companies etc. that a phase mistake out of the box is hard to believe... And, a XLR wired like a DIN ?
Of course, nowadays, with all those home studios, everything can happen.
Myself, I make mistakes, sometimes.

Yours sincerely,
Triphon.

Attachments

• smar.jpg
    smar.jpg
    14.7 KB · Views: 167
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.