John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part II

Status
Not open for further replies.
> PRP as another example leans towards 3rd HD but is similar overall in performance.

We shall NEVER use PRP again.
A few year ago we bought a large batch of PRP Audio grade from their US dealer.
They included a few values in 1W.

When we actually used them in the DAO headphone amp, their lead wire just dropped clean off from the resistor body.
Almost every single one in our batch.
We contacted the factory via the dealer, and wanted to know what was the cause.
We were even prepared to send them those broken samples.

The only response we had was that they would replace those defect parts.
No explanations, no apologies, no assurance it will not happen again.

If you were an audio gear manufacturer, would you take that risk with your product ?

Patrick

> PRP as another example leans towards 3rd HD but is similar overall in performance.

When we actually used them in the DAO headphone amp, their lead wire just dropped clean off from the resistor body.

If you were an audio gear manufacturer, would you take that risk with your product ?

Patrick

Wow, thanks for the heads up... I've always had no problem with them, but I buy from Parts Connexion in smaller quantities.

And I am curious how resistor "harmonic distortion" of some -120 to -140dB would be audible. Anyone made a controlled blind test? I am sure that No is the answer and if it was done, the result would be negative with 100% probability. Just another hoax here. I am speaking about resistors operated within their technical specs, not overloaded etc.

The blind test should be listening to strings of resistors, not single ones. So wire up 100 Dales and then wire up 100 of something else, put them in signal path, have a listen.

Patrick

I’ve had this problem with PRP resistors as well.

I’ve also had a similar experience with Audyn capacitors. I was even mocked over the phone from the parts express rep as though I was heavy handed and trying to make excuses to get replacement caps... that it could not have possibly been a manufacturing issue. Happened with 3x 33uf 450V films one after the other.

However, both situations were isolated.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi Destroyer OS,
Examples?
Various. But a good LCR meter for the first sort. I use an HP 4263A which is by no means the most expensive out there. You have to know what parameter to look at.
I can understand what you're saying. But at the same time I have never found a replacement for expensive film caps in the signal path. There are good sounding smaller, cheaper, caps, but never as good as offerings from audiophile/speakercrossover companies. And while I don't use them typically, teflons do measure superior.
Film caps can be sorted on dielectric type first, then as the quality is determined by the LCR meter. Generally that will get you great sounding capacitors. "Great sounding" means they don't have characteristics that change the sound.
Aside from that I am not super familiar with what products are so big, and have superior smaller replacements. I like Dale resistors, which measure the best for under $12-15/ea (they're less than $1).
I have used these Dale resistors for a long, long time. Decades. It took a long time for the audio community to recognise they were about the best. The "naked film" and "Foil" resistors do not sound any different from the good quality Dale metal film resistors. I wonder how they will age.

For really good work, I will use the best part for the job I can that is in keeping with the temperature of the area and of course, cost. It doesn't make any sense to use an extremely good part in a circuit that will not perform due to design or execution of manufacture. Whether you are doing a repair, or building new, you are spending the customer's money. It is up to you to maintain the quality of the work while delivering good value to the customer. That means , don't try to polish "a turd". That is both wasteful and will be unsuccessful.

-Chris

And I am curious how resistor "harmonic distortion" of some -120 to -140dB would be audible. Anyone made a controlled blind test? I am sure that No is the answer and if it was done, the result would be negative with 100% probability. Just another hoax here. I am speaking about resistors operated within their technical specs, not overloaded etc.

Yes I have. Certain resistors preferred by some "experts" are easily picked out. Yes they are the ones with unusual distortion profiles.

As to the ones that measure well, it turns out that they have maximum thermal distortion at the frequency range of say 50-200 Hz. So they are a bit more detectable than would seem to be indicated by using my test method at 1,000 Hz.

At 4 unity gain stages is where I would put the resistor difference threshold. So with a bit of non optimal design you might actuallyhave an issue.

In golden ears testing, amazingly enough using them as cartridge termination loads, there were repeatable demonstrations of identifying resistor A from resistor B in long term listening tests. Even when A & B where from the same manufacturer but 1/4 watt versus 2 watt sizes. I have no clue as to what was being perceived. My best theory was capacitance to ground differences at that time.

Since then I suspect it is something else, but I am still working on a method to measure that suspicion with not much luck.

Last edited:
Since then I suspect it is something else, but I am still working on a method to measure that suspicion with not much luck.

Not surprising, but I've been waiting for years. In the past you have said you sent the resistors to some of your buddies and asked them, not that refereed controlled listening tests were conducted. I also recall distortion plots at significant portions of the resistors power rating not mV signals. I'll remind you that noise and distortion matters to all instrumentation, LIGO, for instance, is at 10**-23 you have a long way to go.

Someone offered to pay me to build a fixture to compare 2W to 1/4W resistors of the same value (at very small signal level) and I refused.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.