John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part II

Status
Not open for further replies.
Fellas, don´t underestimate how noisy an aging computer can get, especially when it is at the verge of failing due to dried electrolytics. I recently experienced it myself. I added six oscon SPs and four panasonic FMs to a failing motherboard (soldered them underneath the existing caps) and it improved my computing experience very significantly. The usb wifi dongle doubled it´s throughput, and doubled the good versus bad frames ratio (bad frames are the ones with CRC error), as reported by the manufacturer utility. Before, I was never able to get 2MB/s with this same hardware, not even close! Sometimes I wouldn´t get a reliable connection at all.

I am not the one claiming audible differences, I am skeptical. I just think along the lines of "innocent until proven guilty", which is why I offered a plausible explanation.

Last edited:
Daniel, yes, I would say it was out of spec. However, it was not all that noticeable until the last few days (when it took more than one try to boot it up, I think the switching supplies detect excessive ripple and stop).

It never gave me any errors and I would (unknowingly) blame the wifi dongle for the crappy connection (turns out it had nothing to do with it).

Back in the late 1960's, and maybe even till the middle 1970's, when Manfred Schroeder wrote a paper published in 'The Proceedings of the IEEE' (about 1975-6) showed that some harmonics could be changed in phase and that it was audible. Richard Heyser and I both discussed the paper and Richard said that should satisfy the critics (very vocal up to that time) regarding the ear's sensitivity to phase.
But before then:
"The timbre depends only on the relative energies of the various harmonics and not on their phase-differences. Differences of phase produce no effect on the ear. This is known as Ohm's law, having been discovered by G.S. Ohm (1787-1854), the discoverer of the still better known electrical law." 'Science and Music' , Sir James Jeans. p.86 first published 1937 and reprinted by Dover in 1968. I guess they were still clueless in 1968. '-)

Last edited:
I added six oscon SPs and four panasonic FMs to a failing motherboard (soldered them underneath the existing caps)
Here is the picture. One Pana FM is near the DIMMs, not seen.

Daniel is correct in saying that my motherboard was out of spec, but even considering that, the double in wifi throughput was surprising to me. Nothing else was changed, just the motherboard was repaired by adding caps.

Attachments

• improved motherboard.jpg
    improved motherboard.jpg
    161.6 KB · Views: 233
IEEE pub only 130 years behind the Psychoacoustics

as I said - looking in the wrong field, wrong publications

August Seebeck - Wikipedia

August Ludwig Friedrich Wilhelm Seebeck (27 December 1805 in Jena – 19 March 1849 in Dresden) was a scientist at the Technische Universität Dresden.
Seebeck is primarily remembered for his work on sound and hearing...

Wodurch kann über die Frage, was zu einem Tone gehöre, entschieden werden, als eben durch das Ohr? (How else can the question as to what makes out a tone be decided but by the ear?)
— August Seebeck 1844[2]

With respect to Ohm's acoustic law, historians have concluded that Seebeck "successfully discredited the hypothesis and forced Ohm to withdraw from the field."[3]

I don't get it, why don't you buy an M1 Abrams, it would be a huge ego booster and would make you truly and rightfully respected on the road?

Don't knock it until you've tried it. A great car like a CTS-V I mean, not the M1 Abrams. It's not just about the power, although fun. I enjoy the feel, lack of body roll, and braking performance of sports cars.

People push the power levels because they can. It's actually quite similar to the audiophile equipment hobby except the differences are real and measurable.

Around here, most people on the highway with an ego problem drive huge pickup trucks.

TBH though I would opt for a BMW M5 or MB E63 AMG over a CTS-V and I really dislike the Bentley Continental GT. Give me a 911 Turbo any day of the week.

Trying to be reasonable with Waly is unlikely to improve his sometimes bad behavior, IMHO. The pattern seems to be that he will continue to be rude and insulting when he feels like it for as long as the moderators tolerate it.

I suggest next time he does it those who find it offensive click on the moderator alert button next to his post and ask that Rule #1 please be enforced. It says that, "Insulting, intimidating, bullying, harassing or other disrespectful or antisocial behavior" is not allowed. It exactly describes the content of some of Waly's posts.

Status
Not open for further replies.