John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part II

Status
Not open for further replies.
Personally, I found the coffee at the local Starbucks to be awful. Quite surprising, when Peet's Coffee is just one block away. Go figure. People in the USA got hooked on bottled water for mostly the wrong reasons. In many cases, the local water was as good as Evian, but people bought it, anyway. Certainly the case, here in Berkeley. However, when I lived in Switzerland, in sight of Evian from my balcony, we drank bottled Evian almost exclusively, because it was cheap, perhaps $0.20/bottle by the case, and Swiss water was 'hard' and not pleasant to drink. That is where I got a taste for Evian water, but here in the USA, where I live, it is just a joke.

I know its a few pages late, but I would like to comment on slew rate and what seems to be a basic misunderstanding for some people.

This is what I was taught: Slew rate is measured while the amp is operating in its non linear (clipping) region so it needs to be considered with a grain of salt when applying it to linear operation (the relationship depends on the circuit). I dont think Wikipedia mentions this at all.

Slew rate testing is done by applying a large step input voltage, since the amp out is not instantaneous the feedback voltage stays at zero leaving the voltage across the diff input large enough (5volts) to overdrive it. Thats why its the saturation current from the diff stage into the comp cap that usually defines slew rate in a typicl amp. (if this is not the same mechanism that limits the HF response (which it probably is in some amps) how can slew rate and Freq response be related? So clipping behavior will effect slew rate while feedback will not and clipping behavior will not effect freq response but feedback will.

Last edited:
But if anyone has a solution to the mangling problem, I'd love nothing more than to be able to offer a less expensive cable.

se

The confining of the litz is causing wires which are longer in the bundle to extrude. The randomness of the bundle should have assured no wires were longer than others, clearly not the case.

1. Lower the tension on the braid.
2. Do not bent the litz if at all possible. The inner/outer wires at a bend have different lengths.
3. Try twisting the litz a bit. This will tighten the wires up, may help.
4. Increase the litz tension.

Good luck

John

Oh, I DID MISREAD Jan's offer. Certainly Jan, it would be kind of you and useful to others, if you sent me a copy. You must understand, I would have thought that you would be the LAST person to ask me for a copy, but I misread your input. Happens sometimes, being half blind and all. I will be more careful in future.

Gawd, ain't it the truth! When I moved to Europe all you could get in the USA was donkey pi** coffee. Came back 10 years later and the coffee was far batter than anything I'd had in Europe. There is progress.

Yes.

And of course before the Mr. Coffee machines hit the scene, we used percolators which kept running the coffee through the grounds. :eek:

se

The confining of the litz is causing wires which are longer in the bundle to extrude.

But in this case, the litz wasn't actually constrained. The diameter of the litz wire was actually smaller than the inside diameter of the cotton braid. That's why I found the mangling so odd.

The randomness of the bundle should have assured no wires were longer than others, clearly not the case.

It's not really random. It's basically a rope lay. It starts out by twisting 11 strands together, then three of those are twisted together, then finally five of those are twisted together.

1. Lower the tension on the braid.

That would make sense if it weren't for the fact that the litz wire was actually smaller than the inner diameter of the braid. Like I said, the litz was blowing out of the side of the cotton braid even when I'd inserted the litz into empty braid by hand.

In other words, I'd inserted the litz into the braid by hand, and then sent pairs of those to be braided over and when they did that, it was causing the wire to blow out of the ones I'd done by hand.

Truly bizarre.

2. Do not bent the litz if at all possible. The inner/outer wires at a bend have different lengths.

There's no bending to speak of. The wire's fed up through the center of the machine and from there it goes over a large capstan wheel nearly two feet in diameter.

3. Try twisting the litz a bit. This will tighten the wires up, may help.

The litz is already twisted fairly tight and has a silk serve on top of that.

4. Increase the litz tension.

That may be the key, though they'd have to come up with some way of doing it. Normally they're braiding over wire with extruded insulation and it's just pulled off a spool with no provisions for setting the tension.

Good luck

Thanks, John!

se

Soundminded,

Clearly you’re on a mission from God to put Jake and Elwood right here in front of me. Problem is all my Cab Calloway CD’s are mono and roll off at 5 kHz, so I guess I will have to live with them as they are. If you haven’t figured it out already this is hobby stuff for me and once more than two loudspeakers is mentioned my interest is definitely only curiosity. All those here who can honestly say they NEVER enjoyed any normal stereo setup please speak up.

Answering comments with a litany of engineering 101 aphorisms is also not very productive. The impulse response and small signal frequency response are direct duals only for causal, time and scale invariant systems. You like big transformers, how about wimpy heatsinks? Once there are any serious thermal things going on your amplifier is no longer time invariant. There are non-minimum phase speakers and ones with poor pole design or cone breakup, in fact loudspeakers can be packed with non-idealities.

This morning I realized that I had misinterpreted your tracking filter comment and I apologize for that. I have never come across this outside of RF. I don’t see the same idea of prescalers/tracking filters helping say a well designed DC-100kHz audio analyzer, if YMV fine.
If you think broadband noise and FFT’s is a “perversion “ I hate to think of your opinion on MLSSA or Golay sequences. Noise is actually the highest entropy signal and potentially carries the most information, this is why high order QUAM signals like DSL approach a noise-like time domain form.

Jneutron,

On the 5us intra-aural delay issue. This was discussed a while ago. Are there any non-headphone studies? There are lots of problems in the free field and a real environment, people moving around, air handling, non-uniform temperature. Just curious.
We have worked extensively with optical body tracking and I don’t think that little beanie with LEDs in it on those motion-tracking headphones is going to maintain ear to ear position tracking to 5us (I’m not sure the gyro does either).

So let there be peace.

But in this case, the litz wasn't actually constrained. The diameter of the litz wire was actually smaller than the inside diameter of the cotton braid. That's why I found the mangling so odd.

The braid picture you provided has the outer braid tight. As the wire bundle is constricted, longer wires are extruded axially like a tube of toothpaste. Eventually, the buildup is enough to pop some strands sideways. Is the pop-out bundle consistent with 11 strands or 33?

Jneutron,

On the 5us intra-aural delay issue. This was discussed a while ago. Are there any non-headphone studies?

Everything I've read or researched was headphone based lateralization sensitivity studies. Apparently, there is still fertile ground for the basics of human hearing capability. Lots of models of how we hear as well.

Most of what I've read about people using speakers is experimentally not very rigorous, so conclusions are very difficult to get. Some are doing it for commercial gain, so I'd certainly not expect disclosure.

There are lots of problems in the free field and a real environment, people moving around, air handling, non-uniform temperature. Just curious.
We have worked extensively with optical body tracking and I don’t think that little beanie with LEDs in it on those motion-tracking headphones is going to maintain ear to ear position tracking to 5us (I’m not sure the gyro does either). .

I've tested localization using my own setup, but it was rudimentary with interesting results..I did it for s and giggles, just another datapoint..

With the speakers 5 feet apart and me in center, I can position my head easily enough to place a mono image within a half a foot or so with an apparent distance in front of a few feet. When I put the speakers 50 feet apart, I can still get the image to be within a foot or so, the image seemed about 10 feet away. I believe it was easier to maintain image position with the 50 foot setup, and I attribute that to the fact that I'm no longer close enough for my ear to ear spacing to distinguish a 1/r IID, so I'm using delay moreso than amplitude. Never worked out the delay tolerance required to maintain an image 10 feet away to about a foot...easy enough to do should anybody want to.

Never took it further, just having fun with a hobby.
It was outdoors with a breeze, seemed stable enough for me..

Your 'spearments sound like more fun..

Cheers, John

Disabled Account
Joined 2008
Exactly. An important distinction that John and some others can't seem to grasp.

Thank you for the kind words.

Though given that some cables are now selling for upwards of five figures, I guess one cold say that they're not terribly expensive. :D

I'd love nothing more than to make them less expensive, however the litz wire that I like doesn't get along well with the braiding machines that produce the cotton sheathing that I also like.

It's quite bizarre.

Originally I wanted to braid over the litz wire with cotton, and then pair them up and do a braid over the pair, rather like a twisted pair cable but without the twist.

But the seemingly simple process of feeding the wire up through the middle of the braiding machine and braiding over it would mangle the litz wire.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Even when I took some empty cotton braid and ran the litz wire through by hand and had them braid over a pair of those, it still mangled the litz wire, causing it to literally blow out the sides of the inner braiding.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

That just blew my mind.

The only way for me to get the combination of litz wire and cotton that I liked was to opt for a quad braid (which technically is better at self-shielding from magnetic field interference) and do it all by hand.

But if anyone has a solution to the mangling problem, I'd love nothing more than to be able to offer a less expensive cable.

se

Hi Steve

When I'm reading the description of how you make the cable and looking at the pictures, I think that the result is as expected.
I think there are two different ways to solve the problem, if you’re interested, send me a PM with your email address and I’ll let you know.

BTW: English is my second language. :)

Cheers
stinius

Status
Not open for further replies.