John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part II

Status
Not open for further replies.
Patrick,

Both should be transparent so get a check for audio competence. It then boils down to which design is most efficient in terms of weight, cost and energy use.

Conceptually, a non-constant distortion amp could colour sounds differently at different frequencies, but the level of overtones produced by these two amps are way below the level that can be detected by ear.

I wish I could hear any level of distortion @ 10kHz and would be most impressed by someone who could.

AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
I don't think you can dispute that an amp with constant THD across frequency is less transparent than an amp with the same THD at high frequencies but lower at lower frequencies.

That said, a few considerations: is it audible? If it is all below 80dB, I don't think it is (assuming controlled testing).
If for some reason it is desired, what price is there to pay? There may be repercussions in the transient and/or overload recovery behaviour.

So, although the answer is relatively straight forward, whether you want one or the other already moves into the area of personal opinion and view.

I know, this is not helpful. Sorry.:eek:

Jan

A design philosophy question to all :

Which design would be more desirable / competent ?

In this context competent could be a matter of opinion. IME I have not seen a test that isolates completely just the harmonic structure.

BTW speaking of constant THD I've stuffed the RIAA boards and other than my followers needing snubbers everything looks better than good 1 -2% matching on everything high 90's on THD at mid-level .01% at full line level. Tomorrow I will try to get some nice cast enclosures for everything.

I'll be sending an update soon and will post an update probably in Bill's phono thread.

> I don't think you can dispute that an amp with constant THD across frequency is less transparent than an amp with the same THD at high frequencies but lower at lower frequencies.

You meant the latter is more transparent ?

Patrick

That's how I read it. And the latter will assuredly have lower IMD throughout the audio band. But, arguably, if both are outside of audibility, the design criteria should move aggressively towards addressing large signal nonlinearities. (To paraphrase/restate recent opinions)

That's how I read it. And the latter will assuredly have lower IMD throughout the audio band.

Probably so, except for a recent trend to mix music with a very bright sound. Rather than volume falling off with rising frequencies, volume is made constant across the audio band. Therefore, a lot more high frequency energy is present to intermodulate.

Also, whether or not there is more or less IMD throughout the audio band is a separate question from how objectionable the IMD may sound with different types of source material.

Attachments

• IMG_0719.PNG
    IMG_0719.PNG
    393 KB · Views: 166
John, that just reads more and more like conspiracy theory stuff. Someone "big" is patently non-falsifiable. The entire topic of BPQ's is described in a way that is carefully non-falsifiable. That's a huge huge HUGE red flag.

Oh, I don't know, RNM recently claimed to have obtained special gas-filled rings to increase the maximum compression ratio of a car engine. And he apparently got the things from what might be described as "somebody big."

In addition, sometimes companies have trade secrets and intentionally don't provide detailed information for that reason. Having said that, I don't know if the things being talked about ever do anything at all as I haven't tried them.

Here is an interesting device that doesn't provide a lot of detailed verifiable information about how it works, yet is does work quite well. One can only listen to find out exactly how well: Recoil Stabilizers | Primacoustic I paid more for those things that I did for the NS-10 speakers I use with them. And they are worth every penny.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.