John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part II

Status
Not open for further replies.
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Brad in post87093 expressed IMO his dimay over the time and efford spent on cartridges, not on time and efford spent on this site (and I hope this is correct).

I appreciate the cheers for the links. I am a naturalgrave digger.

As for the speaker issue my preference goes to an as much broadband mid as possible with woofer and tweeter as end helpers. Mid to cover a band which is symmetrically extending up and down from 800Hz on log scale

George

I already tried to get people in on this... My setup, although the speakers are now up a little with something between them to bring BSC back to normal.

I listened to a modded Oppo 105, a full blow ModWright version, and it's not very good digital IMO. However as a mere transport I'm sure it works fine, I've considered getting one for just that.

Don't you worry about the low quality DAC in the miniDSP, compared to your Benchmark?

My setup is a mixed bag.

Speakers - B&M 1041 monitor (local manufacture). 10" bass driver, 4 inch cone midrange, 1 inch titanium tweeter, all from Audax. Phase corrected, front fascia, slopes at an angle of 7 degrees from bottom front to top back, allows for alignment at a 3 metre deistance. Exceptionally forgiving speakers, nominal impedance 8 Ohms, monimum 6.5 Ohms, worst case phase shift - 25 degrees, efficiency 92 dB/2.83V/1m. Phase corrected XO. Very, VERY linear delivery 20-20.000 Hz, drivers matched to within +/- 0.5 dB, it's all there.

Regular amplification - H/K PA2400 power amp (2*170W/8 Ohms), alternatives Marantz DC170 power amp (2*85W/8 Ohms), Philips AH370 (2*60W/8 Ohms), Karan Acoustics integrated iA180 amp (2*170W/8 Ohms), etc. Luxman C-03 preamp, H/K Citation preamp, Philips AH280 preamp, Marantz 32xx preamp.

CD source NAD C565BEEE, Yamaha CDX-993.

TT Dual CS604, Ortofon 2MBlue.

FM tuner reVox B760 (refreshed, new caps inside).

Power line filter DeZorel (my own design and manufacture).

Sony TC-K808 cassette deck.

Loads of fun.

About 3 systems here, but the primary one is for mixing and evaluating mixes.
DAC-1
Bryston 4B (an old used one, not an SST)
NS-10s
Primacoustic RX7 Isolation Pads (these are keepers, they work)
Speaker stands
2 each ~3-1/2' long 12 AWG speaker cables

My other 2 systems sound "better" in some ways, but they are also missing some information about mix quality or mix flaws that this system provides. The typical screechy HF of the NS-10s is mediated quite a bit by the Bryston amp. I could use a sub for the low end though. Also, while imaging is very good, the sweet spot of the NS-10s tweeters is very narrow. The speakers have to be pointed right at one's ears for best results, which makes the system not nearly so useful from other listening positions. Still, I can't stand the shortcomings of other systems that time-smear and/or make even bad mixes sound good. To me, bad mixes aren't good, and if the speakers make them sound better than they are, then the speakers are lying.

My setup is a mixed bag.

Speakers - B&M 1041 monitor (local manufacture). 10" bass driver, 4 inch cone midrange, 1 inch titanium tweeter, all from Audax. Phase corrected, front fascia, slopes at an angle of 7 degrees from bottom front to top back, allows for alignment at a 3 metre deistance. Exceptionally forgiving speakers, nominal impedance 8 Ohms, monimum 6.5 Ohms, worst case phase shift - 25 degrees, efficiency 92 dB/2.83V/1m. Phase corrected XO. Very, VERY linear delivery 20-20.000 Hz, drivers matched to within +/- 0.5 dB, it's all there.

Power line filter DeZorel (my own design and manufacture).

Loads of fun.

Speakers sound interesting. I'm guessing this must be you? I've actually seen those before, I thought the choke covers were pretty cool.

Disabled Account
Joined 2012
We used a lot of the Crown MicroTech amps at work. They sure so stuff a lot into a compact package. How are you liking the DSP?

The DSP is great... seems powerful. But, more importantly there is a wealth of software and support for all the systems and invirnments these amps may be used. These are definately a PRO/commercial app product and not expected to be sold for living room listening. I got the amps/DSP used and refurbished (like new) so didnt pay the full price. I doubdt on hardware alone, the price can be justified. but, in support and software investment it has to cost more.

I opened up the amp/dsp to look inside.... most of the design is in the DSP area. the 2-channel amp itself doesnt take up more than 25% of the chassis.
I was able to obtain from web site, the M2 x-over software to download. You have to register the amps and s/n etal with them in order to get access to the software. I downloaded the xover-eq into a thumb drive. Plugged the thumb drive into the front panel of the amps and with a few button pushes on the amp front panel and display menu... Done. Worked perfectly.
The specs on the amps is just good or so-so. I think the great sound is mostly due to the SOTA speaker system and dsp/x-over. Recordings sound a lot more like real music now than HiFi... within the limits of 2 channels.

THx-RNMarsh

Last edited:
Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Some of those Crown amps run Windows XP embedded. If you know how to do it, you can play solitaire on the touch screen. :D Yes, the DSP seems nice.

Does yours have the digital inputs? If you have the network audio option, you could go directly from a virtual soundcard in your computer to the amp. No D/A-A/D step needed from digital source to amp DSP. Pretty cool.

Speakers sound interesting. I'm guessing this must be you? I've actually seen those before, I thought the choke covers were pretty cool.

Yessir, indeed, that there's li'l ol' me from some years back. My speakers are truly a work of love, I kidnapped a good friend who specializes in speakers and we spent 8 months developing them, 6 of which were sucked up by the XO network. In the end, we were almost spitting blood, but it was worth it. I have heard only a very few commercial speakers who did better still, but at prices like 7+ times this one.

When comparig amps, I naturally tend to use these as the best I have, and compare the resulzs with an old pair of AR 94 (refreshed, new caps inside, decent binding posts) from 1986 and a pair of JBL Ti600 floorstanders from 1999 (twin 6" bass drivers, 4" midrange cone, 1" titanium dome) which my wife liked and I was called to stand and deliver, so they sit in her room, in her system. They are driven by an H/K 680 integrated amp, their top of the line product in 1999.

Attachments

• B&M1041.jpg
    B&M1041.jpg
    120 KB · Views: 270
Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Thanks Richard. So yours does have the AES and the Cobranet inputs.
I'm not an expert on networked audio (I'm a video guy) but I do think that Cobranet allows you to have a virtual soundcard that sends your audio from the computer via Ethernet to the amp. I've seen it done in large installations, and it's very cool. I think it was Cobranet. But there are several competing audio over IP protocols on the market.

I'll look into it. If you have audio on a computer with a player, you would just need to network your amp and send digital audio that way.

I spoke with Dick Sequerra today about the MET7 speaker. He admits to the TIME RESPONSE of the MET7 being the PRIMARY advantage of this speaker over many others. It is NOT the frequency response that Sequerra thinks is normally overemphasized. The MET7 frequency response is almost non-existent in either bass or treble. It is essentially a really good midrange speaker with a GREAT TIME RESPONSE. Yet Scott Wurcer and I both think highly of this loudspeaker, even over many speakers with a more even and extended frequency response. Why is this? It is NOT our imaginations. It is based on how we really hear, according to Dick Sequerra. Perhaps we should look into this.

Hi John, A guy who really looked into it, and not given enough credit, is Tom Danley with his Synergy horns. They synthesize a full range point source and with good cross overs and time alignment eliminate most of the problems conventional multiway loudspeakers have including the time response you mention.

Because his application is for big PA systems his speakers range in size from big to enormous making them unsuitable for most domestic applications and thus they undeservedly have not had much attention from audiophile community except, [Tadaa!], at DiyAudio.

Long story short: Starting January a couple of enthusiasts with lots of smarts decided to build a "bookshelf sized' synergy speaker using modified off the shelf horns or waveguides and by June have come up with really good results. Here's the summary post with lots of pix and measurements. The posts just previous have some good pix, as well. I think you might enjoy the read.

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/mult...lti-way-point-source-horn-25.html#post4644522

Looks like a great design effort, DVV.

Thank you, John, I do bileve it was and still is. It is especially dear to me because the friend who slaved away with me and I made a great team. we sort of naturally "clicked" together. The overall idea and project brief was mine, I started it - BUT he did like 80% of the actual design, I helped out with work on the crossover Audax did the rest. :cool: And the fact that he was Audax' general distributor for Serbia opened the gates for matching capabilities second to none. For example, the two midrange drivers were like No.10 and No.30 of the selection population, no other way to get the output L-R to within 0.5 dB, and even that was pushing it. But the benefits were truly worth it.

Bascom King asked to review one if we ever sold any in the US (he knew about it from James Bongiorno). Unfortunately, after making just 7 pairs, my friend's business partner miraculously survived a motorycle race accident, but is practically paralyzed, a tragedy. This caused him to withdraw from business and scuttled the B&M company. Of the Magnificent Seven, I know where four pairs are, the rest no idea (one in Italy, two in the Netherlands, one - Serial No. 00001) with me. It's US price was targeted at just below $2k at your home doorstep.

Last edited:
.....For example, the two midrange drivers were like No.10 and No.30 of the selection population, no other way to get the output L-R to within 0.5 dB, and even that was pushing it. But the benefits were truly worth it.
Very fine looking pair of speakers, a great pity about your business partner.
For interests sake, How much was the spread in the sensitivity of the batches of drivers you had access to ?.

Dan.

Hee! Was any preference expressed by the kids for either Bon or Brian?
They got to hear a couple of tracks of Brian's stuff, and they didn't know what it was...that's why/what they asked.
It's encouraging to see youngsters recognize good music and good sound when they hear it, and to pluck up the courage and actually knock on the door and ask is another thing altogether.
From the footpath, my system really does sound uniquely good/live/fun/right, and if I walked past a house with such good sound I would be tempted to knock myself lol.
True story: I never cared much for AC/DC until after I quit drinking. I love the hell out of 'em now! I still haven't figured that one out.
That makes you a very unusual outlier, and unAustralian lol.
Yeah, (most of) the recordings are great, and there ain't a better live rock'n'roll show anywhere.
The only downside of their recordings is they don't sound 'right' until you start hitting REAL levels....the louder you can play them the more fun they get !.
I have worked shows as local crew on two of their tours....I have not seen any travelling shows bigger/badder than these guys.
The backline/stage gear list would blow your mind, never mind the PA spec.

Dan.

Max, it was my friend's business partner, although I also know the man. B&M was their jointly owned company. Mirko, my partner-in-crime regarding the speakers I own, is, thank God, just fine and raising his daughter. An exceptional guy all around, he's also the president of a local scuba diving club and a three year running winner of an international scuba diving movie club award for underwater movies. An all-around guy I am happy to know and respect like I have respected few other people. Unfortunately, the fall of B&M Acoustics company hit him very hard and now he's out of the audio business, a tremendous pity for a man who designed three separate lines of loudspeakers (not counting my speakers, which was to herald a separate new monitor line).

Sometimes, life is a bitch, it seems to hit the best among us. Oddly enough, 3-4 years later, I suffered the same fate, as my business partner died from a massive heart stroke, he literally imploded, gone in less than an hour, and he was in the hospital at the time. And then James Bongirno also left us, I never met him in person, but I am in his debt for the help he so generously provided, My consolation is that I managed to slip him a power line filter of mine (the 117V/20A version), which he also passed on to Bascom King, so I have a private, off the record review by Bascom, given me with the understanding that it was for my eyes only. The one review I love the best, right after the review published by Jean Hiraga in France's magazine "Revue de Son" in the mid of the last decade.

Status
Not open for further replies.