John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part II

Status
Not open for further replies.
The most realistic, neutral-sounding and enjoyable speakers I've ever heard have consistently been the ones with the smoothest in-room frequency response. On the other hand, many careful attempts I've performed at improving the measured time response of my setup have yielded negligible or inaudible results.

I believe that different ears are sensitive to different types of imperfections in audio systems, and that this is the main reason these forums stay so busy. :)

- Jim

I spoke with Dick Sequerra today about the MET7 speaker. He admits to the TIME RESPONSE of the MET7 being the PRIMARY advantage of this speaker over many others. It is NOT the frequency response that Sequerra thinks is normally overemphasized. The MET7 frequency response is almost non-existent in either bass or treble. It is essentially a really good midrange speaker with a GREAT TIME RESPONSE. Yet Scott Wurcer and I both think highly of this loudspeaker, even over many speakers with a more even and extended frequency response. Why is this? It is NOT our imaginations. It is based on how we really hear, according to Dick Sequerra. Perhaps we should look into this.

I'm glad you said something in Dick's defense, I felt a few here even sort of compared him to Bose. Dick never made extraordinary claims and did not market heavily. I use them near field at modest volume, they don't play loud so what. The good impulse response helps a lot too I suppose. I had his ribbons but "someone" (un-named relative) trashed them as junk. I used them on my original DQ-10's that also got trashed by "someone" putting them out in the rain. When I replaced the DQ-10's I tried using the stock upper end but gave them away after one night of listening without the ribbons.

On defending Dick we can agree, the MET7/ribbon tweeter/sub-woofer were his intent on a complete system and you can find many positive comments and people still using this.

Max I'm still in the midst of a long change of venue, we finally have closure on my former place 8/29 so I can start in earnest putting things back together. It's been almost 5yr. of kids moving back into EVERY spare space and finally having them all move on. I have a pair of NHT speakers (same as SY's) that I am going to restore and they will probably be my primary speakers. And you know me, the electronics will be a combo of DIY + good enough since IMNSHO the electro-mechanical things at either end are all that really matters.

BTW, I have never owned an AC/DC record and would never be found playing them at 11. Merzbow OTOH - Waly understands :D. I did hire one of my sons highschool classmates to babysit one night and he thought my hardcore collection was really cool.

Last edited:
I'm glad you said something in Dick's defense, I felt a few here even sort of compared him to Bose. Dick never made extraordinary claims and did not market heavily. I use them near field at modest volume, they don't play loud so what. The good impulse response helps a lot too I suppose.

Interesting you should say this, topologically it is identical to the Yamaha NS-10, which is still used in mixing for the very same reason. Never heard the Sequerra speakers though, the NS-10's are mean sob's. If his speaker combines the good thing of the ns-10 with a more listenable overall performance, it should be great.

Edit: of course not the protrusion part.

Interesting you should say this, topologically it is identical to the Yamaha NS-10, which is still used in mixing for the very same reason. Never heard the Sequerra speakers though, the NS-10's are mean sob's. If his speaker combines the good thing of the ns-10 with a more listenable overall performance, it should be great.

No, the original MET7's are considerably lower tech, wood turnings as phase plugs, paper cones and rubber surrounds and very small not at all targeted to the same market. Personally I found the NS-10's at Yamaha's own listening room unlistenable, the highs were painful. I have since last week talked to a mixing engineer that also said that the NS-10's were great monitors for showing flaws in the mix but he would never use them for actual every day listening.

This really has no place to go they are an excentric nostalgia product which seems to have an interesting residual life, that must say something.

Eh?

Sorry to have to disagree.

You mean it is a two way in a similar sized enclosure, with similar sized drivers?? That makes it "topologically identical"?? Not in the least. VERY different in almost every other regard.

Perhaps this is the sort of gross misunderstanding that is part of the difference in common knowledge base and "point of reference" that makes clear discussions so difficult?

Someone asked what each of us had for components to listen music with. My system is always evolving or I am trying out some idea and need something else. But here is mine at this moment in time -->

Sources in order of quality performance is HD downloads played thru Auraliti spdif to a DAC-2 by Benchmark. OPPO 105D CD/DVD and Sony carousal CD player for back ground music.... to the Benchmark Dac2 inputs.
Tuners -- Yamaha T2, Or backup Magnum Dynalab MD102 or Marantz 20.
Speakers were QUAD ESL 989 replaced by JBL M2.
Amps and DSP are Crown iT5000HD. To be replaced with miniDSP and DADod's CFA amps asap.
That all there is to it. Plus power isolation filters,of course.

What are you using??

THx-RNMarsh

I already tried to get people in on this... My setup, although the speakers are now up a little with something between them to bring BSC back to normal.

I listened to a modded Oppo 105, a full blow ModWright version, and it's not very good digital IMO. However as a mere transport I'm sure it works fine, I've considered getting one for just that.

Don't you worry about the low quality DAC in the miniDSP, compared to your Benchmark?

Good luck on your own speaker development I would love to hear about it sometime.

Steven

Dont bother about speakers, it s the cables that matter...;)

Personally I found the NS-10's at Yamaha's own listening room unlistenable, the highs were painful. I have since last week talked to a mixing engineer that also said that the NS-10's were great monitors for showing flaws in the mix but he would never use them for actual every day listening.

These are speakers rubbish enough such that if you manage to have a mix that sound decent on these it will sound more than good in any average mid fi speakers, for instance a pair of Infinity RS 2000 is miles above sound quality wise.

Last edited:
Something not right with the graph...

I've been puzzling over the graph of the Met 7...
...it struck me as something not right the first time I saw it.
Way too little negative going energy there. I've yet to see a speaker that looks quite like that. ESLs which are amongst the best at not storing energy, don't look like that... looks like maybe a step response of a woofer only - perhaps.

Not sure of the parameters used from trying to decipher the stuff at the bottom... suspect that the person doing the test may have made an error.

Stereomojo was the site. A quick check did not find another example of impulse response, but it was a very fast check. Would have been good to see another speaker shown with the same details on the bottom and a standard looking impulse response.

Gargoyle search did not find any reviews of Met speakers old or new, was hoping for Stereophile reveiws with a test showing the same graphs...

Just my impressions of the graph.

Edit: Whoops - that's a STEP response, not an impulse response... nvm.

Attachments

• Met_7.7_step_reponse.jpg
    Met_7.7_step_reponse.jpg
    57 KB · Views: 203
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.