John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part II

Status
Not open for further replies.
diyAudio Member RIP
Joined 2005
Indeed. Notnihing wrong with subjectivity. It also depends on the type of source material - in live amplified music you are listening to a stereo mix at the gig, often... And pure studio recordings are "artificial" stereo already...
Despite Pearson's insistence about the absolute sound, many have become more concerned about simply closing the loop so that sound reproduction in real spaces can accurately mirror what is intended by the artists and recording engineers.

Disabled Account
Joined 2012
JBL-PRO M2

Well, here they are in the listening room. My latest toy for critical listening.

They will help a lot in further detecting changes. They are fairly Big boxes, though.

JBL-PRO M2.JPG

They need to be toed-in a little bit and I do have an absorbent panel to use on the left side to further reduce reflection and improve imaging.... but the +/- 30 degrees (60) helps a lot here.

Amazing speakers.

THx-RNMarsh

Last edited:
gpauk,
I would say that many times in a live event that you aren't even listening to stereo many times but a purely mono mix for many of the instruments. Not to say that some don't do panned right and left mixes but you can't do to much of that in many instances or the balance for many listeners will be terrible when they can't hear the opposite channel from the PA. Studio recording gives so much more freedom to do a true stereo mix and many other options that in many live events just doesn't work for an audience. It really depends a lot on what type of music is being presented, an orchestra is going to be very different than a rock and roll band.

No, it doesn't. I means a set of apparently correlated symptoms...

Once there is a test for it gets promoted to disease status, and the symptoms are the diagnostic symptoms associated with the disease. If there is no test it is classified as correlated symptoms, aka syndrome. Thus Lyme was nothing more than a syndrome at first.
From wikipedia: The full syndrome now known as Lyme disease was not recognized until a cluster of cases...

Last edited:
Joined 2016
Paid Member
gpauk,
I would say that many times in a live event that you aren't even listening to stereo many times but a purely mono mix for many of the instruments. Not to say that some don't do panned right and left mixes but you can't do to much of that in many instances or the balance for many listeners will be terrible when they can't hear the opposite channel from the PA. Studio recording gives so much more freedom to do a true stereo mix and many other options that in many live events just doesn't work for an audience. It really depends a lot on what type of music is being presented, an orchestra is going to be very different than a rock and roll band.

Agreed, though I've been to one or two well stereo mixed live gigs. The average Festival is definitely pretty mono though. Sometimes I wind the hifi up loud, and listen to it in another part of the house, or in the garden... reminds me of festervals! :D (fortunately no near neighbours....)

Orchestral music is indeed another thing altogether. Years back I worked on some electroacoustics sysems for concert halls (we worked with Chris Jaffe on some...). That was an interesting time!

In my amplifier evaluations, I do just about the opposite of what my critics do here, I listen (sometimes myself, but mostly to others listening opinions) and if there seems to be an improvement, or a potential problem noted, I work backwards to find some measurable way to understand what is being heard.
For example, when it comes to lateral mosfets as output stages having a bass problem, I would think about and compare lateral mosfets to higher Gm mosfets, or really high Gm bipolar output devices, and see where there might be a potential problem. Here, I see two potential problems: One, the LOW Gm of the lateral fets, reduces their peak current substantially. Could this be the problem? For example, my best design, the Parasound JC-1 can do 135 peak amps (nominally) in short duration. Trying to do the same thing with lateral power fets is darn near impossible.
Second, the intrinsic output impedance (without global negative feedback) is about 10 times lower with bipolar output devices compared to lateral mosfets. Could this be a problem? Because adding extra negative feedback is usually impractical in a given design, the damping factor will not be as low with lateral mosfets, all else being equal. Who knows? BUT these are real differences, and perhaps our testing of many loudspeakers with test tones is just not enough WORST CASE, compared to difficult musical material, and speaker systems need much more momentary peak current than we normally suspect. I elect to go with that supposition in this case.

Last edited:
I just got back from Greece last night from a cusomarily great 10 day summer vacation. Doctor's orders, my surgeon wants me well rested for the operation he must perform on my lower spine if he's to rid me of the pain produced by nerves being caught by my spine at this time for three years now. Thus, I had time to spare watching news on the TV to note that California is (again!) going through a bout of catastrophic fire north of LA.

Is everyone from the forum safe? No injuries or even loss of property I hope? It reminded me how my own woes, bad as they seem to me, are so relative compared to incomparably greater woes of others (I can hardly walk at all, and getting into and out of my car is quite a painful exercise, etc, thought actual driving is not a problem). Nothing compared to a wild forest fire in their own back yard as those people are facing.
My little house has dodged 3 big fires now. Thanks for asking! This was taken outside my front door a few days ago.

Attachments

• IMG_0565.jpg
    IMG_0565.jpg
    254.9 KB · Views: 159
morinix,
I lived in Santa Clarita a few years ago and also in Canyon Country, not missing that weather or the dry conditions out there. In the meantime I live at the top of the Hollywood Hills and we were watching the fire a couple of days ago as it came over the top of the mountain, it did give me a great reference as to where Sand Canyon was compared to this side of the mountains. Glad your okay, those fires are just so uncontrollable with these last five years of drought. Global warming, what's that? Any way at least you can figure if it burns now and doesn't get to your house that the fuel will be much less for the next fire.

morinix,
I lived in Santa Clarita a few years ago and also in Canyon Country, not missing that weather or the dry conditions out there. In the meantime I live at the top of the Hollywood Hills and we were watching the fire a couple of days ago as it came over the top of the mountain, it did give me a great reference as to where Sand Canyon was compared to this side of the mountains. Glad your okay, those fires are just so uncontrollable with these last five years of drought. Global warming, what's that? Any way at least you can figure if it burns now and doesn't get to your house that the fuel will be much less for the next fire.
That picture is about where this fire stopped on it's southernly path. That point where you see the flames is the extreme north eastern edge of the Sayre fire. So dues on this were paid ahead of time. I did have to exacuate when the extreme western edge of the Station fire made it to to my community. At that time I wasn't really worried because the fire trucks were staged and ready for that one; almost circling my community like covered wagons fighting indians.

Lady luck 4 times at my house: '94 quake, Sayre fire, Station fire and now Sand fire.

I just keep rolling!

Now if I could just figure out how to get my neighbor to ditch his smelly chickens :mad: life would be a dream. ;)

Thanks for the concern! :)

The issue with blinded/sighted evaluations has nothing to do with how sincere the evaluator is: it has everything to do with the host of other confounding factors.

Not that blinded tests don't have their detractions (beyond the biggest: complexity/cost) in terms of stress and "white coat effects", but in other ways, it removes larger confounding influences.

To borrow from medicine again, we'd have 1000x the drugs on the market if no one ever did placebo control or comparative efficacy studies. Those are there to null out, to the best our ability, the nonspecific effects around a medical intervention that aren't specifically the intervention.

It's not that blinded testing is a miracle, but simply its a far, far, FAR better tool than we otherwise have.

Less scary that the reverse, imo

I know a few who can do both. Not an engineer in this particular case, but one lady comes to mind who did a Radiation Oncology residency at Stanford Medical School after finishing her PhD in theoretical physics elsewhere. And there there are some mixed PhD/MD types who take both degrees at once, but usually the PhD is in something like molecular biology which is more closely related to medicine.

Yes, most are more bio/biochem related, but I get to work with a number of these very smart folks on a regular basis (or at least during their training) and collaborate with others. A lot of them need help with the details of the actual engineering, but have the cognitive horsepower to understand where you're coming from.

Not sure how good of clinicians they make, but certainly would have done just fine in engineering.

Rupert Neve! His first iconic mixing desk. He finalized his transformer design by passively listening. I remember reading this in an interview.

Not surprising since it is known for its coloration. Apparently, he wanted it to sound "good" more than to be optimally accurate. I have a couple of the Sowter versions of the transformer for the Neve 1272. Sometimes use them to add coloration. Don't particularly use an optimized zobel or anything with them either, just dampen and load to taste.

Last edited:
Not surprising since it is known for its coloration. Apparently, he wanted it to sound "good" more than to be optimally accurate. I have a couple of the Sowter versions of the transformer for the Neve 1272. Sometimes use them to add coloration. Don't particularly use an optimized zobel or anything with them either, just dampen and load to taste.
This is guy to check out to get nearest to a true repro of a vintage transformer.
VintageWindings.com Home Page

And yes, the early neve stuff is colored. He had to have SS compete with the tube gear everyone was used to at that time.

Status
Not open for further replies.