John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part II

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hopefully I have enough to do with different kind of technologies and I can compare. Many of the famous 'high end' designers are just amateurs in EE, without any deeper knowledge of anything, but marketing.
Yet most EE's don't really design for sound they just read meters 'cause they don't really know how to listen to music. Remember, I said "most"!

You guys are something else with all of this shop talk. Don't you have gear to build?

Morinix, most audio designers in the USA have degrees in physics. ;-) Yes, and sometimes Graphics Design. It appears to be a matter of educational consciousness. PMA comes from behind the Iron Curtain, and he is relatively naive about American or British reality. He is a good designer, better than most who contribute here.

I think there's a lot more salvage going on these days. I've seen some incredible ebay sales from closed Catholic churches. Imagine that white marble altar in your kitchen. My mother bought an entire pew for her livingroom.

Sweet!

As I type this I'm also sitting on a nice oak curved back chair that also came from the school. One of two that I have that were just going to be tossed into the dumpster. These things are built to last another 50 years or more.

Oh yeah, also got a big-*** unabridged Webster's from 1934. You know, the big one they'd have in the library where we'd look up the REALLY dirty words and giggle? :D

se

Last edited:
Jacco, childsplay, try 10,000 plus components of virtually every value necessary for design. That is MY reality. Just last night, I HAD to find 2 wirewound inline 10 turn pots that would fit on my preamp board. I looked in my closet, and found 2 separate matched sets, one with fingertip adjustment, and another with screwdriver adjustment only. That is what is needed in an serious design engineering environment.

Mr Curl,

reads like you are living in the lab.

Reminds me of my dad, up till his late 70s he continued to design/build mechanical stuff, sometimes for others if they tickled his ego enough.
He had calipers and various dial indicators for metal lathes in the closet, amidst the tableware, and boxes with bolts and nuts in the one with underwear, priceless. :clown: (well, nowadays, i grew up with constant lathe metal curls in the soles of my shoes)

(my electronics itch occupies 3 rooms of 12, plus 4k5 cuft of the ~8k cuft garage. one mainly as audit room, none of the kids come within 10ft of my junk, no touchy. the g/f would likely terminate me if i claimed more)

Last edited:
When Olympic Studios in London was being stripped out for a Sam Toyashima rebuild literally hundreds of tapes were put in roadside skips. I got three car loads, including the final masters for some "Who" stuff mixed in Mono, Stereo and Quad along with the final mix notes from the Power Station Studios in New York .... and also masters of many more major bands of the time. I still have much of this haul. I also bought every Tannoy Gold 15" in the place...there were a lot + a pair of silvers used for fold-back. The very first pair ever of Tannoy Reds were in the control room and I bought them as well. Unfortunately I could not accommodate the cabinets and the contractors just chain-sawed them. Everything I had was subject to 1 hour removal from the site. There was a redundant Radford stereo amp with transistor front end and KT88PP output, a Citation 1+2 set, all got for peanuts. I ran this for a year or so behind a Precision Fidelity pre with a Garrard 301. It was somewhat too much for my more relaxed musical requirements and was sold. And just before this old cinemas were being stripped...WE speakers by the truck load were thrown out. Those were days of opportunity!!!

Telefunken in Germany junked over 100.000 white pressings including master tapes that where stored in a climatic chamber in Hamburg some years ago.
In the 90th i purchased the rights to remaster Telefunken classical records on Vinyl. At that time the store manager said to me " Take what you want". I did not because i did not want to destroy the completeness of that treasure. That´s how naive i am.

those metal curls

Yeah, life turns out ironic sooner or later, Mr Curl.

As a kid i hated it, i've spent half my childhood in a lathe, milling, drilling and press machine shop. Nowadays i often miss things like metal curls in a shoe sole, usually around this time of the year though.

You're a pretty OK guy, btw. (and i'm rather picky with people, hopefully Mr Gerhard can vouch for me :clown: )

Morinix, most audio designers in the USA have degrees in physics. ;-) Yes, and sometimes Graphics Design. It appears to be a matter of educational consciousness. PMA comes from behind the Iron Curtain, and he is relatively naive about American or British reality. He is a good designer, better than most who contribute here.
J.C. I respect the physics of grabbing the soldering iron :) The only real audio scientist I have been around a bit is Ulrich Horbach, smart guy and truly dedicated and a pretty good set of ears. I did help him some with aspects of sound largely because he had never recorded music in a multi-track studio environment so he was not adept at things like EQ and compression. His digital crossovers are really good sounding though. Brad Plunkett, Bob Hovland - 2 non EE's that know a bit about audio design. Graphics Design! well gear does not look very good in those plain aluminum boxes with brother P-Touch lables, does it!. Well PMA likely knows how to do math in his head - more than I can say for myself.:blush:
Anyway, I have to go cut some wood for my next project:p

Oh, okay. I'm finishing the wiring on the following that will include a star ground and just wondered because it's a lot of work that I don't plan to repeat . . .

power supply left, headphone amplifier right (Borbely)

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

I previously posted the following . . .
181545d1280035137-john-curls-blowtorch-preamplifier-part-ii-dscn5545_.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.