John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part II

Status
Not open for further replies.
So... two people watch a dowsing exhibition.
One person calls it an experiment and so must know and control all the variables & have some idea of an acting mechanism.
The other person can just call it watching a well digger. Period.
The second person has the only claim to truth.

I never said I haven't seen the process work. Appearances can be deceiving, as any good stage magician knows.

According to wiki, there is no evidence to suggest dowsing is any more effective than random guesswork. Which figures, and at some level we must all know that to be true. Same applies in audio, where many implausible myths are believed true despite no hard evidence and contradiction of common sense.

Why then do people seem to want to believe in dowsing? Or equivalently implausible audio myths, even when contradicted by vigorous tests?

Dowsing: It seems to me, if a person's senses are very open to large and tiny differences in geography, plant growth, smells, sounds, and so forth, then he might be successful at showing folk where to successfully dig wells. I don't think that's particularly mysterious.

What might make it seem slightly mysterious is that it apparently is not very analytical, but when we're just "looking around" we are not being analytical, we're just seeing things, the world, so to speak, and some of what we see might have meaning or significance for some, and not for others.;)

BTW, Ed, I have never seen a parking lot more than a few years old, that actually has a flat surface. There is always subsidence.

Dowsing in Ireland. They call it the Emerald Isle for a reason.:D

Audio myths. Which ones did you have in mind?

www.hifisonix.com
Joined 2003
Paid Member
Dowsing is used a lot in Africa. My folks used an old guy on the farm. He found a well. Lots of stories other farms around the area and it's quite the accepted thing.

How the hell does it work? I don't know. Did he just find a well (spring) by luck, or by experience/intuition? I don't know.

However, for audio I still believe extraordinary claims or superior parts or circuits should be backed up with a DBT.

Many transistors have Vcbo much higher than Vceo. How does operation above Vceo differ? IE what if you used a 2N5551 at 170V? Does it affect 1/F noise?

In the usenet group sci.electronics.design one Kevin Aylward once claimed that there
was a huge change in 1/f noise below Vce < 1V to the better, IIRC. I plan to
check that.

Being close to breakdown probably won't help, but without hard facts one could
easily speculate and call oneself proudly a true believer.

For dissipation reasons the currents will have to be small, and that makes
the gap to parasitic currents smaller, also no help.

regards, Gerhard

Joined 2014
Paid Member
Hi Ed,

What passes for "science" today is completely broken. I recently saw a two-part BBC documentary on Quantum Physics.
Very dumbed down, but nevertheless though provoking for those of us who have not kept up to date with things.

The hilarious part was that the person who got the credit for Turin's work in the BBC documentary was just a tool of the machine. She created an elaborate experiment and trained fruit flies to be attracted to certain odors so that she could "prove" Turin's work, untainted by "human bias".

Yet stop and think about it for a second to see the irony here. Why would she spend several years an hundreds of thousands of dollars training fruit flies if she herself didn't smell any difference? Obviously she must have smelled the difference herself or she wouldn't have designed the experiment, applied for the grant, runt the experiment, and published the results. Yet it was all a ridiculous waste of time. She had already smelled the difference herself!

This would seem to be a fundamental misunderstanding of how science works. Just because the scientific method doesn't match your world view doesn't make it broken. An untested theory was tested and results published. That is GOOD science.

....Having a guy tell you to dig here 32' defies logic. Just what value do you place on that for random chance.
Sketching 4 pipes in their correct locations under a concrete slab should be extraordinarily close to impossible.
Hi Ed.
Dowsing a water stream from 20km away is going to the next level, but is true and inches accurate correct in my experience.
I had an interesting experience in a cathedral in Switzerland 20 years back.
I walked down the central aisle and at the end of this aisle was an incredibly energising spot about 1.5m in diameter that the whole congregation shuffled over before and after the service....think that one through.
The christian churches were not averse to demolishing pagan churches and erecting their own structures capitalising on these known 'energy' points.

Common sense?
Yes, I think dowsing sense is common, but we have all been loudly told since first day in grade one that we have five senses only.

Dan.

Joined 2014
Paid Member
Can someone explain something about dowsing. Other than in desert regions when you are digging a well you are not trying to hit a sunken river, just the water table. The word table seems to give the game away that wherever you drill you will hit water. The depth of the water table is set by local geology and time of year.

I may be dim, but in most habitable places you would need to be an idiot NOT to hit water? Whether the water is safe or contaminated is of course another question.

So therefore, if you don't need just water, but the purest water you can get, call your local dowsing professional.

I installed a water-filter at every tap in the house, to solve the disgusting level.
Until I received a bill for 1.5 million gallons of water, and subsequently discovered that the neighbor who sold us the house, had not removed a bifurcation take-off.
One that led to another property of his, halfway he had failed to properly cap the leg of a 2nd bifurcation, which suffered from reflex issues.

5 years in court resulted in me having to pay all court assigned inspection bills, and a conclusion that I could not prove I had not squirted the entire volume into the air.
Oddly enough, it took my former neighbor a lot shorter to clear off, afair less than 3 months after I had formerly introduced him and his lovely wife to mr. Hyde.

(agenda note : pay my old neighbor pal a visit to check if he's still alive before I pop across the border of this S-hole)

I endlessly tried that dowsing thing in my kiddy years. Took me a couple of decades to realise it may likely also not be responsive at locations with water everywhere (underwhere).

Last edited:
How the hell does it work? I don't know.
Apparently it doesn't, well at least not better than guesswork. The more interesting question is why are so many people ready to believe otherwise? For some reason we seem to have some inbuilt bias toward readiness to accept certain implausibilities, stronger in some people than others, wherein such things can be readily accepted as 'true'.

Another fascinating thing is how and why only certain such 'truths' are widely accepted in a social sense, eventually becoming part of the fabric. The parallels in audio seem obvious.

Can someone explain something about dowsing. Other than in desert regions when you are digging a well you are not trying to hit a sunken river, just the water table. The word table seems to give the game away that wherever you drill you will hit water. The depth of the water table is set by local geology and time of year.

I may be dim, but in most habitable places you would need to be an idiot NOT to hit water? Whether the water is safe or contaminated is of course another question.

Wells are often tapped into water sources above the water table! Around my shop the river level can vary year round by about 25'. The town gets its' water from a well that was originally drilled by a brewery that then also supplied the town. The townsfolk actually complain if there is a problem and the water is sourced from the main city water plant which runs their water main through a bit of the town as that source is the river.

Now there are folks who have city water but still drill a well! The sewage bill is based on your water bill, so if you have a large garden or even grow a few vegtables then the savings by using well water for irrigation can be great.

Now at home I get the water bill and the sewage bill from different places. Interestingly my water bill runs about 1000-2000 gallons a month. My sewage bill is always 4000 gallons. Something on my list to document.

Last edited:
Joined 2014
Paid Member
Wells are often tapped into water sources above the water table!

Round here we call those rivers. Based on a little research its more often you put a well BELOW the water table into an aquifer. Do you have any references to water sources that are not lakes/rivers but are above the water table. Doesn't seem to match my rusty geography knowledge.

Status
Not open for further replies.