John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part II

Status
Not open for further replies.
But this begs the question why is somebody into audio. For example, I feel no crucial need for my say TT to be found to be better than other competing TTs, it sunds nice to me and I am happy to let it go at that. Yet, far too many audiofiles must be reassured that their say TT is indeed better than some competitor's model. If not, they lose sleep over that.

In other words, far too many audiophiles, are not motivated by their love of music, but by competition with Joe Bloggs. Just like with cars, they have to have the latest, costliest and assumed to be the best around, and are VERY unhappy when it turns out that they are in fact left behind. They are the natural prey of quite a few predatory audio manufacturers. They are in it for the money (mostly) and will be very happy to explain to you that their latest is in fact the best around. They are in fact in full collaboration with the audio press, which needs test for improving their circulation.

If you find these statements to be too bold, by all means take a look at what their income from writing in papers is and then try somehow to correlate that with their home systems. It will likely turn out that their home sytems cost like their 3 years' worth of writing, and that's assuming they do not spend a penny on food. Not to even mention that everything they have is high end branded and costs as much. And equipped with that, they pass judgement on standard commercial fare costing like 2-3% of their equivalent unit. A fair comparison, no doubt.

KBK--while you can perhaps live in a relative world where the whims and fantasies of your mind are good enough, I really really like my reality to be grounded from a perspective OUTSIDE of myself.

your problem, if you will.. is that your position is falsifiable before you even began.

The heart of the issue is that everyone, for the larger part, is also operating from the same state of ignorance. Projection seeking a perfect reflection in order to find and achieve a safe zone, down at the animal level. Your consciousness and specifically ~your intellect~... rises through that, your intellect is filtered by that, is created through that form.

Think of it as a high level program, created by the other subprograms, and that it operates as a past tense passive frame reporting system. The voice in the head is not a consciousness it is a passive frame left over (past tense) reporting system.

Stop for a moment, and construct a sentence in your head. Feel it murmur and shift around, feel it build into the shape and the flow, and then feel it emerge into being as the voice in your head. Keep at it until you catch it happening. It should not take long....

(hint: We sometimes like to call it "gathering one's thoughts" before speaking)

As long as people keep mistaking it for their minds, we'll be floating around in this stew of unresolved crap.

Objectivity has a hard time existing when it's purely derived and filtered in all ways through a purely subjective emotional and animal instinct system. When such systems brick wall in 100% subjective frame, filter, design and expression.

Scientific objectivity is quite the joke when the attempt and the carrier (medium) is wholly subjective, and past-reactive... in all levels and types of communicative I/O.

Do your best, one could say, but realize the problem, if you wish to live and see it that way.... is inside everyone as the very genesis point ---and the flow of it.

The bigger problem for the engineering mindset, is that local (in the given human) I/O on a daily basis... has built up into a safe zone where the reflection is 'believed' as this objective reality thing.. and then they get together in a group and work at pounding their ideas into a larger group. In this they are horribly, disastrously ...wrongheaded. Literally, wrongheaded. Stunted with one very short leg that causes them to walk around in circles. Others are the same, with the given 'mindset' groupings, politics, and finances, military, etc.

Some of the smaller areas of the humanities and some of the medical are starting to clear on this, but for the most part, all walking around in circles, with one short stunted leg. All looking for expansion in their reality when they don't even know what the hell they are or the carrier is.

Like the Buddhists say, get your poop straightened out first. Find and understand all the controls and mechanisms of the system.

Then you can get on with fixing the world. Learn to drive first. If not, the result of attempting to drive... is the ditch and the disaster zone.

Would you like fries with that?

Last edited:
the militaries that adopted steel, gunpowder seem to have generally displaced those relying on chipped stone, bows and arrows

antibiotics properly used for the targeted bacterial diseases have a better cure rate than "rebalancing humors" with bleeding, emetics...

Yes, and now they've almost evolved enough to see and understand the nature and shape of their ignorance.

The problem is the filter and genesis system is emotional-instinctual filter/origin derived, with the second overarching point that it is tough to get at the source point.... when the whole edifice was designed to objectify-externalize, and remain out of the passive frame reporting system of the 'voice in the head'. The voice in the head was not designed to understand the voice in the head -- it's not even alive.

Returning to the subject of DBT and sound quality in general, as an argument... we arrive at the barrier of the individual neural design and construction as a large component of the issue.

Such neural wiring as a hereditary aspect of a seed-tree, and then it's unfolding and build.... in the individual life as lived/experienced and shaped.

None are the same with none having the same hearing aspect. We all feel, see, hear, touch etc, similarly.... likened to all chips in a bag being of similarity, or, more correctly, all snowflakes having similarity in genesis and building blocks, but it ends there.

So my ideas on objectivity are not anothers ideas on objectivity, my ideas on hearing and sound quality are not the same. Merely similar. As my hearing is literally different, as I have my different hereditary aspects and my different learning pattern and expression pattern through that hearing.

In the face of that, any demands thrust upon others, of 'how to conduct a test' (and frame the results), demands taken beyond the idea of communicating what I do and what works for me -- would be both foolish and illiterate.

Last edited:
There are ways to deal with this, but its not trivial. If I have missed the obvious and it is trivial you will have much admiration (at least from me).
Don't you know about the "max-width" property of CSS for images ?
Not to talk about creating thumbnails on the server and using some javascript lightbox to show images at a size witch will never exceeds the visitor's screen size.

Last edited:
Joined 2014
Paid Member
Don't you know about the "max-width" property of CSS for images ?

For served images yes. Not aware that works for linked images. If it does please help the site admins implement it. Doesn't stop the need to load up the whole beast but a start.

Not to talk about creating thumbnails on the server and using some javascript lightbox to show images at a size witch will never exceeds the visitor's screen size.

So when you hit send you have to parse the posting to find links. See if the links are images. If they are load it up, convert to thumbnail and then edit the posting to show that, hoping that you aren't then opening yourself up to a DMCA takedown?

If people used the upload function this wouldn't happen. I think we are in violent agreement over that :)

For served images yes. Not aware that works for linked images. If it does please help the site admins implement it.
<snip>
If people used the upload function this wouldn't happen. I think we are in violent agreement over that :)

CSS and HTML (such as the width or max-width properties) are client side and it cannot determine the size of the file sent by servers, it just "resize" on client side for display purposes. The bandwidth issue remains.

Yes, the upload function will prevent unnecessry big file upload (and thus download by other members) because the maximum size is defined in client side programming by Diyaudio programmers.

With linking to third party site/server, this third server has its share of responsibility, at least to support something like compressed download when requested by client. And because it is Diyaudio who creates the client side UI, Diyaudio actually can detect the client machine type and do something about it, even tho it wouldn't be in their main interest to do so.

For served images yes. Not aware that works for linked images. If it does please help the site admins implement it. Doesn't stop the need to load up the whole beast but a start.
Let be more precise.
Server side, you can change the size and weight of any uploaded images on the fly before to record them. This is just useful to avoid wasting HDD space with too big files.
Now, we have to understand that the server just send informations, It is your browser that is in charge to execute those informations in order to render the template. Your browser don't care if any image is on the same server or an other one. It is just an URL for him. Now, if you tell the browser to show a given image at "this width" and "this height", it will do-it, whatever the original size of the image. And you can even tell him to adapt those sizes to the client screen's size. "Responsive design".
So, yes, it is trivial to avoid any image to break any template. It just need 5 minutes with a minimal competency, few CSS instructions.
The other problem is the weight of the image to be downloaded before rendered. That will affect the people with poor speed connections. But here too you have ways to tell the browser to render the template and texts, and populate the images after-it. Or to record little thumbnails of any external linked images on the server and show only them in the template, using floating lightbox to show them at larger sizes if the visitor click on them.

Why don't-I propose the administrators to improve their template for free ? First they had not asked-me, second I have a different sensibility about the right balance between freedom of expression and respect of press laws governing the public medias on the Internet, third, any work deserves reward: This is not a community forum but a private one.

Last edited:
Joined 2014
Paid Member
Why don't-I propose the administrators to improve their template for free ? First they had not asked-me, second I have a different sensibility about the right balance between freedom of expression and respect of press laws governing the public medias on the Internet, third, any work deserves reward: This is not a community forum but a private one.

Fair enough, admire your honesty on that.

HtH remains interesting for some (plus the way ideal angle to cranial jam the septum through the os ethmoides).

I'd highlight 'properly used' if posting statements about antibiotics
(or get down on docs and/or vade Me Cum dura)

See, there we go, Jacco. :)

KBK -- please condense your thoughts to a concise thesis. Perhaps my failing, but I cannot parse this wall of language clearly enough to know *what* you're actually driving at, and would rather not misrepresent your position. From the pieces I could put together, it seems that we're going to be stuck at an epistemological impasse.

KBK -- please condense your thoughts to a concise thesis. Perhaps my failing, but I cannot parse this wall of language clearly enough to know *what* you're actually driving at, and would rather not misrepresent your position. From the pieces I could put together, it seems that we're going to be stuck at an epistemological impasse.

You are misunderstanding. Read Ken's writing as poetry and performance art. He is extremely skilled at that.

A word about compatibility, W3C rules etc...
We, web designers, had to suffer a lot of problems, during years and years with various browsers, not respecting W3C specifications. Remember IE !
Obliged to write specific instructions for each, using ugly hacks, verifying the rendering of every line of code on each ones !!!!
Now, it is fixed, and most of the browsers render correct code correctly and with very similar ways. We thought our task will be easy, at the end ?

It was just before the emergence of intelligent TVs, smartphones and tablets on the market. And their browsers are less compatible and with more different behaviors than in the worse IE period. And we have to design nice looking and readable sites on screens with dimensions ranging between a stamp and several meters ? A nightmare worthy of Impossible Mission. And further proof of the stupidity of our time

Last edited:
Haha, it was my turn to abuse English there. I agree--nothing much to fear. There are definitely certain personalities with a certain schtick that are best taken as performance pieces.

As it sits right now though, my appreciation is closer to German Opera than anything else. I don't speak a lick of German, either. :D (Not to slight the language in the least!)

Well Derf, that is one way that you can avoid the 'point of view' of others. To be honest, what KBK is trying to say is beyond me as well, but that does not mean that there is not good sense in it. SY likes to put people in a box, for KBK it is 'poetry', for me it is 'dishonesty', for Joe it is 'profit making', etc. We all have opinions to contribute here, SY's is but one. And we resent being accused of being less than forthright.

Status
Not open for further replies.