John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part II

Status
Not open for further replies.
Joined 2014
Paid Member
Remember seeing a demo of their TEM where they showed an image of a ring of oxygen atoms in some bizarre frozen out structure. Atoms.

QED indeed. :)

I didn't think Atom level imaging was possible with TEM . OK not seen a TEM since 1985 and that was a 3 story high steam powered monster. A bit of googling suggests that some mind boggling advances have been made in the last decade. Hoorah for science!

(aside: I had the joy once of having to use SEM-2. Dennis McMullan Scanning Microscope which was built in 1957 and still in use into the 90s. Used KT88s. I can safely say solid state SEMs are better than tube ones!)

Yes, it truly boggled the mind. The joke I remember being made was that the technician/engineer/graduate student in the control room (well isolated for these kinds of magnifications!) was trying her hardest not to get excited as the image was resolving in fear of coupling vibrations to the instrument.

I'm pretty sure the isolation was better than Simon's house. :D

Yes, yay for science, and (hopefully) yay for women in STEM. Speaking of which, audio has to be worse than even EE for having women participate in it. I'm not talking about on the performance end of the spectrum, either.

Attachments

• Wilson's_Grimm_cover.jpg
    Wilson's_Grimm_cover.jpg
    136.8 KB · Views: 206
Used KT88s. I can safely say solid state SEMs are better than tube ones!)

a result of DBT?

j/k

thanks for the link.

```````````````````````````````````````````````

i've noticed that several researchers attempts,

to observe the mass levels, of various bits of 'matter',

are not able to get consistent readings.

seems that SEM's are contaminating materials at the atomic level.

adding to the actual energy/mass of samples ...

I spent 11 years with a former hi fi store owner. She could trust her ears and was a fundamental business partner with Vendetta Research, the Wilson Ultra Master, the JC-80, and many more projects. She loved Gordon Holt, and everybody else in audio. I miss her, and her golden ears. Also, she was for a time a reviewer for TAS, and was asked by Gordon Holt to be an audio reviewer for Stereophile as well.

I also miss my former business partner, Bob Crump, who made cables for a living and was the core consultant for IMPROVING my topologies to world class status. He was the inspiration behind the CTC (Curl, Thomson, Crump) Blowtorch preamp. It would not have been sonically extra special without his input.

Status
Not open for further replies.