John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part II

Status
Not open for further replies.
Joined 2014
Paid Member
So you won't even click a link until I drive a bentley for 6 months, yet you were the one who asked for an example of state of the art in audio? Curious.

BTW if you look up fine art you will notice that your Bentley doesn't make it by dint of it having some usable function. The difference between your car and the Phaeton it is based on is CRAFTSMANSHIP.

diyAudio Member RIP
Joined 2005
Hoola Hoola Hoola, Boola Boola Boola, Moola-Moola Mula.
Bankers !
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X_r-fur3Zr0

(is your nose itching, or are you happy to see me ?)
And of course the obvious question: How much moola for the mola mola?

[edit:] Oh that's a Bruno effort! (having just clicked on the link). It's probably quite excellent.

[second edit:] The specs for the phono stage are interesting, with voltage noise spectral density listed for the MC input, and current noise for the MM. Curious. I like the notion that they are two independent channels. 900fA/sq rt Hz however is not really all that low, corresponding to thermal noise of a ~20k resistor at 300K.

Last edited:
www.hifisonix.com
Joined 2003
Paid Member
The available NFB at high frequency can make optimal bias not so important, not Slew Rate.
Simulated two amps with same OPS (ThermalTrak), one VFA with quite high Slew Rate (more then 200V/usec) and one CFA with higher Slew Rate (abut 400V/usec) and very different Loop Gain plots. The VFA with high gain of 117 dB up to 1kHz but then goes down, and the CFA with 80 dB up to 20 kHz.
The FFTs with optimal and suboptimal bias shows that.
No SR is doing that.
Damir

Damir, I think on your VFA you could trade some of the higher LG at LF for lower overall LG at HF using TPC or TMC. You could conceivably then end up with the wide loop gain bandwidth you are demonstrating in your CFA.

I did a lot of sims on this and wrote up an article on my findings. When you increase the loop gain on CFA's, you do have to consider the compensation design of course, so these high loop gain CFA's end up having the same issues do deal with as high loop gain VFA's.

What I also notice is the ULG has gone up significantly on a lot of designs to 3MHz+ over the last few years as designers have gotten more confident in dealing with the associated compensation and layout issues. This clearly is possible because of the use of mosfet output stage, or the use of high Ft transistors. All this helps course to increase the LG at lower frequencies, and hence decrease distortion.

I have to also comment here that although the designs presented have outstanding performance, they are very complex. I am seeing 30+ active devices and in some cases nearer 40. I must confess, personally I am headed in the opposite direction in terms of my design philosophy - I'll happily accept 0.1% THD at 20 kHz as long as its low order. With regard to bandwidth and rise/fall time, I think CFA makes this very easy to achieve.

:)

Last edited:
diyAudio Member RIP
Joined 2005
sent by a friend as an example

D
I have to also comment here that although the designs presented have outstanding performance, they are very complex. I am seeing 30+ active devices and in some cases nearer 40. I must confess, personally I am headed in the opposite direction in terms of my design philosophy - I'll happily accept 0.1% THD at 20 kHz as long as its low order. With regard to bandwidth and rise/fall time, I think CFA makes this very easy to achieve.

:)
A blast from the past. Six transistors per channel, not counting the power supply.

Once, because the professor had one and thought it was respectable, I had to put one of these kits together and install it to provide music for planetarium shows at UCLA. I tried to persuade him that there were better amplifiers, to no avail.

Attachments

• Stereo 120 Review Sutheim_RE_1166.pdf
    392.4 KB · Views: 97
A blast from the past. Six transistors per channel, not counting the power supply.

Once, because the professor had one and thought it was respectable, I had to put one of these kits together and install it to provide music for planetarium shows at UCLA. I tried to persuade him that there were better amplifiers, to no avail.

Circa 1970 we built from kit and installed MkIII's in all the projection booths at MIT. Unfortunately they did not have a 70V output option. BTW were there better 70V transformers I don't recall?

Last edited:
diyAudio Member RIP
Joined 2005
Circa 1970 we built from kit and installed MkIII's in all the projection booths at MIT. Unfortunately they did not have a 70V output option.
Difficult loads blew them up too.

At nearly curtain time at a concert in Schoenberg Hall, a borrowed Stereo 120 driving the cantankerous Oscar Staffsud Sr.'s loudspeakers failed. The concert relied heavily on recorded music, mostly from tape pieces.

I ran across campus to the considerably-remote electronic music studio and hand-carried a Mackintosh MC275 back to the concert and got it hooked up just in the nick of time. If I'd had to do that today I would have a certain coronary.

I then repaired the 120 and returned it to the owner. He proceeded to blow it up again, and of course speculated that my repair had "weakened it", and that he should have paid heed to yet another professor who advised against loaning anything to the department. From what I could tell, he had shorted out the speaker connections to the chassis, and protested that after all they were only teeny little strands of wire.

I fixed it again but not until we had a huge fight when he called me and expressed impatience. I was about to quit that job anyway. Remarkably, we are now distant friends but quite cordial. It took another professor to take me to task for being about 20 minutes late on a Saturday, for a electronic music studio mixdown of his tape piece, to catalyze the resignation. That professor was chronically late for everything. In his case years later I severed relations completely, after a final transgression.

Last edited:
diyAudio Member RIP
Joined 2005
Wow! The Stereo 120, one of the worst solid state amps ever designed. However, I can't blame them completely, when market forces made Dyna go solid state. I stuck with my tube Dynas for many years after its introduction.
Don't you love the rhetoric about the comparison of the 120 to the pretty-decent Dynaco tube amp?

However, I do appreciate a review that includes a schematic :)

I would like to tell an experience that happened in 1965 at a hi fi show. I was still a student, just finishing my senior year, and my musician friend and I went to see the show. He had golden ears as I did, so we went around the exhibits evaluating the sound quality. The best 'solid state' exhibit was JBL and it sounded fairly lousy. The best quality exhibit was a Marantz 9 in triode mode, that we did NOT know what it was until we asked the exhibitor. Gee, even today, I would think the same thing.
The Dyna exhibit had some solid state offerings, and I talked to one of their engineers, saying that I had Dyna MK3's and a PAS3 preamp. They were open enough to actually tell us to keep the tube equipment, quite a surprise. IF you can live with solid state of the early Dyna quality, you might as well drive a Yugo of the past as well, because Honda and above is beyond your appreciation as well. '-)

Status
Not open for further replies.