John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part II

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi ostripper,

The Symasym was the amplifier I was talking about. When others used similar matching and good output transistors their results were very similar to mine. That silly little amplifier sounds really good. I was looking for a utility amplifier around 50 wpc when I decided to build that one, it exceeded expectations on all counts. I can hardly wait to try one of yours (building up funds).

-Chris

Well , buy up some of those cheap MT-200's at digikey (while they last).

(below) that is the forums biggest symasym , you can set it up with
the MT's for 400 watts (OMG).
Had to cascode the original sym differential +VAS, and servo it to
swing 150V P-P.
"silly little amp" ? .... the original is very close to the HK680 , one of the best
reviewed <1K$ amps out there.
It was the last of my creations I built in july , I'm still liking it - MUCH !
OS

Attachments

• symasui.jpg
    symasui.jpg
    201 KB · Views: 200
Disabled Account
Joined 2012
So what's the big deal about Bentley? .

It is the difference between art and Fine art. You have to know and appreciate the difference.

On the Bentley, a Grand Touring car, there is little to improve on in any area. Though people have modified the engine software for more power.
SOTA IMO means your very best effort and nothing, anywhere, can be improved further with existing technology.

Many cars are compared in stock form. But just as often done here at DIYAudio, individuals can improve HP or braking or handling performance on cars built to a price. There are many street cars built which out perform 'race' cars because they are not limited by any race rules.

The ZR1 was built in the Corvette plant. It had No parts used on a Corvette. If you look at the details, it is Fine Art. But, 3 days after I got it off the show room floor, I modified the supercharger and fuel maps for more power. Without traction control it was a seriously dangerous car on the street. I could never use the full power available without careful throttle control. After 12,000 scary miles, I sold it. 700HP and TQ.

Most things can be improved. I kept the CTS-V which uses the same engine as the ZR1 but a different cam. But still improved handling with some major suspension changes. Much quicker than the Bentley, of course. But I have driven it from Seattle to Sacramento non-stop (>1000 miles) and got out feeling fresh and not beat up.

Where is a best effort audio product? An all out assault on the technology and build quality? Was it a Blowtorch?

THx-RNMarsh

Last edited:
Where is a best effort audio product? An all out assault on the technology and build quality? Was it a Blowtorch?

The previous photo (replaced)with a 300V/us ND input stage = 1/2 ppm 50W -
really. 2nd harmonic = -115db noise is at the "floor" (>-120).

I'm using the symasym IPS ... but the board for the CFA needs improvement
before I use IT. It tests way better than a TMC "blameless".

Are you back , RN ? ... I still have that EF3 + a ND to send you.

OS

Simple IS good. The amp I pictured will work and sound VERY good with
33 - 100pF for the miller comp. quite a wide spread - but still stable with
absolute SQ. A design that can negotiate that is indeed far beyond a
"high end" design. To create this negates the "voodoo" that typical OEM's
thrust upon the masses.

OS

Disabled Account
Joined 2012
The previous photo (replaced)with a 300V/us ND input stage = 1/2 ppm 50W -
really. 2nd harmonic = -115db noise is at the "floor" (>-120).

I'm using the symasym IPS ... but the board for the CFA needs improvement
before I use IT. It tests way better than a TMC "blameless".

Are you back , RN ? ... I still have that EF3 + a ND to send you.

OS

No I am not back yet..... I look you guys up in between jaunts here and there. You can follow on FB.

I will be back in the US of the A's in the first week in November. Any time after that is fine for testing. Will they be in a chassis? Will they be attached to heat-sinks? Come with PS?

I now have obtained a 1 year visa with unlimited entry so I can wander in and out as I please. :)

THx-RNMarsh

Last edited:
No I am not back yet..... I look you guys up in between jaunts here and there. You can follow on FB.

I will be back in the US of the A's in the first week in November. Any time after that is fine for testing. Will they be in a chassis? Will they be attached to heat-sinks? Come with PS?

I now have obtained a 1 year visa with unlimited entry so I can wander in and out as I plefalls short

THx-RNMarsh

you will get about the same as the photo- heatsink w/ 3pair OP and the ND
input stage. I suspect your AP will have a hard time detecting ANY THD
10-20K. (maybe?)
My equipment falls short of detecting any thd (<-105db) on this IPS.
Operation wise , it is Tc stable 0 -40C , and sounds "pure".

You need the PS (+/- 50V) ... did you expect a whole complete amp ?
I'll test it with my 55V supply , then send it.
PS - I've seen a 400W clip on this Baxandall ,I can't understand why
"high -end" OEM's have not used this VAS on 3K$ amps yet - it is superior.
edit - why not this on any pass or parasound amp ? (below).
My tests show it to be quite unique .....
OS

Attachments

• baxandall.jpg
    baxandall.jpg
    56.4 KB · Views: 176
Last edited:
That is what I also discovered , some designs exhibit their lowest THD
at what would be considered a non-optimal class AB bias.

In fact , the current CFA "fetish" is quite easily explained. A >200V/uS
slew seems to error correct the AB X-over glitch down to nearly
class B (no bias). THD will stay PPM right down to 10ma on one of
my "kypton ND" input stages.
Symasym and other current (VFA) input stages have a lot longer group delay -
they are not fast enough to do this , and need a stronger 60-
75ma bias to "bottom out" (THD wise).

OS

The available NFB at high frequency can make optimal bias not so important, not Slew Rate.
Simulated two amps with same OPS (ThermalTrak), one VFA with quite high Slew Rate (more then 200V/usec) and one CFA with higher Slew Rate (abut 400V/usec) and very different Loop Gain plots. The VFA with high gain of 117 dB up to 1kHz but then goes down, and the CFA with 80 dB up to 20 kHz.
The FFTs with optimal and suboptimal bias shows that.
No SR is doing that.
Damir

Attachments

• LG-VFA_CFA.jpg
    LG-VFA_CFA.jpg
    292.2 KB · Views: 175
  • VFA-CFA bias dependancy 5kHz.jpg
    VFA-CFA bias dependancy 5kHz.jpg
    293.7 KB · Views: 168
Last edited:
What I found was high SR in particular sounded more accurate even if the THD was increased.
Figure that out.
I found the same ;-)
Tried some explanations. No one is really convincing on an intellectual point of view. The overkill slew rate ? The expansive behavior ? Current on demand ? The little extended flat phase bandwidth in closed loop ?
One thing is sure (for me), CFAs sound more fluid, natural, easy listening, specially in the long run (less fatigue) than the same devices arrangements (same VFA and OS) in VFA.

May-I request international support against the fundamentalist horde of LTP's fundamentalists that will surely melt on me like a grasshopper's rain ?

Last edited:
Joined 2014
Paid Member
It is the difference between art and Fine art. You have to know and appreciate the difference.

On the Bentley, a Grand Touring car, there is little to improve on in any area. Though people have modified the engine software for more power.
SOTA IMO means your very best effort and nothing, anywhere, can be improved further with existing technology.

<snip>

THx-RNMarsh

The bentley is a nice GT, but I can think of many areas it can be improved on. Running costs for a start! The Tesla is closer to SOTA than the Bentley. The last real assault on state of the art was the McLaren F1 from the early 90s from my perspective. Everything since has been too compromised. BUT Bentley sell on you feeling good driving it, even if the civic next you is doing the same journey in the same comfort in the same time for 1/3 the fuel. It is (like boutique audio) a lifestyle/willy waving thing.

I keep telling you to look at Mola Mola (molamola.nl) That is probably the highest performing audio equipment money can currently buy. No magic capacitors or fairy dust just the best that can be done with the technology. Won't impress the people who want 200kg power amps!

in the same comfort

Not really.

Name one car brand with a built-in umbrella.
Best, no. Highest performance, no.
It's all about comfort, the best possible ride, the Connolly leather they used to have was something to experience.

(Once a year, there's a vintage RR&B tour through my street. I have espresso in the front garden, as I enjoy the ride. Call me cheap)

For the best performance ride, and record 0-60 time in a serial built, letter D

Last edited:
Disabled Account
Joined 2012
The bentley is a nice GT, BUT Bentley sell on you feeling good driving it, even if the civic next you is doing the same journey in the same comfort in the same time for 1/3 the fuel. It is (like boutique audio) a lifestyle/willy waving thing.

I keep telling you to look at Mola Mola (molamola.nl) That is probably the highest performing audio equipment money can currently buy. /QUOTE]

Not even remotely close to the same comfort and feel and experience. One is just art and the Bentley is fine art. You still dont understand the difference. You should drive a Bentley for a good while and then go back to the civic.... and if you havent changed your mind then I wont even look at the Mola Mola.

THx-RNMarsh

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.