Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

The Lounge A place to talk about almost anything but politics and religion.

John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part II
John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part II
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving
Closed Thread

Old 19th March 2013, 01:29 PM   #36891
john curl is offline john curl  United States
diyAudio Member

I need this sort of exterior fit and finish to compete in the marketplace. I am open to 'serious' suggestions.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ctc.jpg (224.8 KB, 135 views)

Old 19th March 2013, 01:35 PM   #36892
scott wurcer is online now scott wurcer  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SY View Post
200MHz is sufficient for most audio use. I have a 500MHz in my basement lab and a 2GHz in my office lab.
Corning has a nice lab to support their fiber business DC - 140GHz

Old 19th March 2013, 02:01 PM   #36893
simon7000 is offline simon7000  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gorgon53 View Post
May I ask, is Rdc and Rac of the measured transformers made to be equivalent?
Take a look at the results for no load and full load. Very little difference! Dissipation in the DC load resistor is about 5.5 watts and in the AC load 0 or 25 watts.

Old 19th March 2013, 02:01 PM   #36894
jneutron is offline jneutron  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RNMarsh View Post
Here is a photo I took: Here's a vacuumed tube for you-- its about 30 feet long and the beam current is 10,000A or more. Can anyone guess what it is called, in general? [ clue- the view is from the target -plate- end looking towards back towards the source (not shown in place)].

And, what are all those metal stainless steel donut-like rings used for?

Another clue: JN mentioned wigglers once upon a time.

-RNM
Wigglers? Well, I was watching a you-tube video of some hula dancers at the time.

30 feet? It looks like one section is about 15 feet, with 5 sections, each with a gate valve.

The period appears consistent, so I'd eliminate an RFQ.

I can't see any waveguides, but that could be the angle.

The flanges could mean anything from neo plates to small rf cavities.

My first guess is an FEL outta SLAC.

jn

Old 19th March 2013, 02:33 PM   #36895
Esperado is offline Esperado  France
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by john curl View Post
I need this sort of exterior fit and finish to compete in the marketplace. I am open to 'serious' suggestions.
List your technical requisites (seriously) on a paper. The answers will come automatically if you are smart.
About "look and feelings" nice mechanical assemblies are a must if you highlight them.
And, for Emirs and other nouveaux riches, aluminum is certainly not a noble metal for a front pannel. I would prefer thick tinted glass, granite, marble, Nickel, Coper, wood, leather etc.
As far i'm concerned, i would try something technically 'fashionable' and high tech, like "carbon fiber".

Old 19th March 2013, 02:45 PM   #36896
Steve Eddy is offline Steve Eddy  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by john curl View Post
Start with a good industrial designer. The Blowtorch is about as bland as a slice of Wonder bread. Your friends at Constellation at least had the good sense to go to Neal Feay, though I have to say I don't find their work to be much more inspiring. It's still in the rather bland, "big hunk o' metal" camp.

se

Old 19th March 2013, 02:59 PM   #36897
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esperado View Post
List your technical requisites (seriously) on a paper. The answers will come automatically if you are smart.
About "look and feelings" nice mechanical assemblies are a must if you highlight them.
And, for Emirs and other nouveaux riches, aluminum is certainly not a noble metal for a front pannel. I would prefer thick tinted glass, granite, marble, Nickel, Coper, wood, leather etc.
As far i'm concerned, i would try something technically 'fashionable' and high tech, like "carbon fiber".
This is what inspired my current project. A Gody Model 23 crystal radio from the early 1920's. Wood, Ebonite, Bakelite and brass. Some 90 years hence I still find it a thing of beauty.

se
Attached Images
File Type: jpg gody3troisqg.jpg (19.8 KB, 113 views)

Last edited by Steve Eddy; 19th March 2013 at 03:03 PM.

Old 19th March 2013, 03:10 PM   #36898
jneutron is offline jneutron  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Eddy View Post
This is what inspired my current project. A Gody Model 23 crystal radio from the early 1920's. Wood, Ebonite, Bakelite and brass. Some 90 years hence I still find it a thing of beauty.

se
It needs dovetails at the corners. First, fit some maple in, then go with bloodwood. The small sides should be lacewood.

jn

Old 19th March 2013, 03:12 PM   #36899
Kindhornman is offline Kindhornman  United States
diyAudio Member

John,
I understand your point of trying to maintain a constant temperature if you have designed for that and can control the set point for a given result. But an aluminum enclosure of similar shape that is made of multiple pieces does not have to necessarily have high leakage if that is one of your goals. The fit tolerance of a typical machined part would not let any more ingress of dust into the enclosure than a one piece machined billet.

If we were talking about a magnetic motor structure then yes every connection of two materials will create an additional boundary condition interfering with the circular flow of a magnetic field causing additional eddy current production.

What is it about a sulfur trap that I must have missed along this long tortuous conversation?

On the industrial design side I have to agree with Steve Eddy that a simple rectangular block of aluminum has no inherent design factors that makes it look like a beautiful product. Without the few control knobs it would look even more like nothing but a block. As someone who has done industrial design for many years that isn't anything that a child wouldn't come up with using building blocks. With a billet of aluminum you could do much better.

Simon,
You seemed to be trying to infer that the wings skins of those Boeing planes are made from solid billets of aluminum. Having worked for a company that was a subcontractor for Boeing and Lockheed and many others I can assure you that is far from the truth. The skins are made of sheet material and are drop punch formed with massive stamping machines and die sets. After forming a process called chemical milling was used to remove material is specific areas. We had mills with over 100 foot beds, I think our largest was about 160 foot, and these were used for machining assemblies and not billets of aluminum.

Last edited by Kindhornman; 19th March 2013 at 03:30 PM.

Old 19th March 2013, 03:19 PM   #36900
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jneutron View Post
It needs dovetails at the corners. First, fit some maple in, then go with bloodwood. The small sides should be lacewood.
We're going with box joints. Here's a preliminary chassis in eastern hard rock maple. Going to use some slipfeathers in the corners of the bottom piece, and there we can use things like bloodwood.

se
Attached Images
File Type: jpg boxjoint2.jpg (160.8 KB, 100 views)

Closed Thread

John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part IIHide this!Advertise here!