John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part II

Status
Not open for further replies.
Joined 2004
Paid Member
But as described that is certainly not an 'at home' procedure for the average user! Then again I am sure there is someone on here that has one just for personal use :)

Me?

Yes, I have 3 pistonphones and a brace of B&K mikes and AC calibrators etc. I was not aware of the temperature sensitivity of the Panasonic type microphones. Is that documented anywhere? I believe there are some that are less sensitive to temperature. I know MEMs mikes are better for temperature and absolute sensitivity. Not so good for noise floor.

The Radio Shack meter's I have checked in the past were pretty accurate, usually within a dB. You need to check them at 1 KHz (can't use a pistonphone, they run at 250 Hz) because of the a or c weighting. As I remember the ballistics were on target as well (Checked with a GR Omnical). For checking annoyances they are pretty good. For research or real measurements not so useful.

Except for inconviencence using a PC with appropriate software will give an enormous amount of info on average, peak and spectral content of sound. I have an NTI Audiolyzer that can do most of that and is handheld.

However pulling out something that looks like a recorder at a concert is not usually a good idea.

Disabled Account
Joined 2012
There are free apps and low cost apps for general purpose acoustic measurements (room/speakers etc) that use the iTOUCH. You can also plug in an electret mic and have a cheap portable unit which includes RTA, SPL, Freq Response, scope, FFT, signal/speaker polarity, frequency measurement, accelerometer and other basic measurements. Accurate enough for most work. Not a laboratory standard. But much much better than just a R-S SLM and just as compact and portable.

The other fluff, like camera, wifi and music are a bonus :)

THx-RNMarsh

Last edited:
AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Just finished posting a lot of test files to support Scott Wurcer's digital RIAA article in L|A Vol 10, here: Downloads | Linear Audio

The post also has the complete collection of the coefficient tables for anyone who wants to experiment with digital RIAA on your miniDSP, so you can just cut-'n-paste rather than typing it all up.... Note that one of the tables was missing from the printed issue, apologies to Scott!

Jan

Joined 2014
Paid Member
Not a laboratory standard. But much much better than just a R-S SLM and just as compact and portable.

How much better and why? An uncalibrated microphone is still an uncalibrated microphone whatever you plug it into.

Just checked the $75 Umik-1 and even though that comes with a cal file, thats just for FR flatness not absolute level as far as I can tell in the specs, Noise floor is no great shakes either but that was not what I wanted it for.

.....that was 8 years ago. In those days, your choice boiled down to whether you wanted an analog scale or a digital readout.
I have only ever had dial gauges.

Times change, don't they?
Yeah, it's cool, way cool.
Scroll through the screenshots on the Torque Pro Android app page.
The screenshots give scant idea of the customizeable display pages that can be configured and only a fraction of the engine and other parameters that are available as analogue dial, digital, bar, graph etc in a bunch of sizes.
For only a few dollars I highly recommend it.

Dan.

I certainly don't want to create levels like an opera singer or massed choir are in my living room a couple of meters away!

Why not? I think it would be cool. :D

Besides, knowing what it's like being up close as the rest of the orchestra, and being among even the singers themselves, to see what it would be like? Cool. Maybe not all the time though... :D

There are free apps and low cost apps for general purpose acoustic measurements (room/speakers etc) that use the iTOUCH. You can also plug in an electret mic and have a cheap portable unit which includes RTA, SPL, Freq Response, scope, FFT, signal/speaker polarity, frequency measurement, accelerometer and other basic measurements. Accurate enough for most work. Not a laboratory standard. But much much better than just a R-S SLM and just as compact and portable.

THx-RNMarsh

Richard, could you suggest a good android application?
THx Damir

Me?

Yes, I have 3 pistonphones and a brace of B&K mikes and AC calibrators etc. I was not aware of the temperature sensitivity of the Panasonic type microphones. Is that documented anywhere? I believe there are some that are less sensitive to temperature. I know MEMs mikes are better for temperature and absolute sensitivity. Not so good for noise floor.

The Radio Shack meter's I have checked in the past were pretty accurate, usually within a dB. You need to check them at 1 KHz (can't use a pistonphone, they run at 250 Hz) because of the a or c weighting. As I remember the ballistics were on target as well (Checked with a GR Omnical). For checking annoyances they are pretty good. For research or real measurements not so useful.

I had a dog and pony show some years back at a new outdoor concert venue. The neighbors want to be sure they wouldn't hear too much. I had two sound level meters. One a Bruel and Kjaer the other a moderate cost ($150) import. Before beginning I took out a calibrator to show the meters were accurate. The cheaply that had been adjusted hours before was now warmer and off by quite a bit. First time I ever had a meter that really drifted!

Now normal practice is to start any measurement session with a calibration test. Every other time my meters are within 1 dB and usually 1/2!

Now why do you have three pistonphones? They never break the only failure mode is to leave the batteries in them until they leak. Of course the worst failure mode is opening them to see what is inside.

Last edited:
I think what people are seeing in not only the cheaper sound level meters as ES has shown of drifting measurements, that this also holds true with cheap microphones, a simple mechanical phenomena. The actual diaphragms are made of a simple plastic membrane, the plastic has mechanical properties that change with temperature, the flexural modulus and tensile strength will vary with temperature. I would think that all the calibration measurements would be taken normally at a set room temperature reading, once you either go to a higher or lower temperature this will change. How much it will change will depend on many factors. The type of plastic, thickness, diameter and the original tension applied to the film and other factors such as this. This is the reason that a microphone such as the B&K microphones will always have much more consistent and accurate measured result, the diaphragm material is a nickel foil which would have much more stable physical properties over a wider temperature range. There is nothing wrong inherently with the plastic film microphones but they will have real materials property that causes this drift, it is caused by both temperature and humidity levels.

I'm sure that Sy can add to this discussion of materials properties of typical Mylar film property changes with these two simple factors, temp and absolute humidity.

Status
Not open for further replies.