John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part II

Status
Not open for further replies.
I used to keep a file for top answers to questions on the Company standard job application form. These were for R&D electronics/programmer jobs.

Real examples:

Q Why do you wish to leave you present employment?
A I have an open wound on my backside and the dust in the lab aggravates it

A I don't like the colour of the new carpet

You know who you are if you recognise these !

I used to keep a file for top answers to questions on the Company standard job application form. These were for R&D electronics/programmer jobs.

Real examples:

A I have an open wound on my backside and the dust in the lab aggravates it

A I don't like the colour of the new carpet

You know who you are if you recognise these !

What were they doing in the lab that involved exposing their backside? :p

se

diyAudio Member RIP
Joined 2005
(I'd think decubitis ulcer scars are primary requirements for a CEO position)
When I was consulting virtually full-time for Harman, Brad Plunkett (himself then back as a consultant) said I was raising eyebrows, as I was pulling in as much as the salary of a vice-president. I said "And not needing to learn to eat s___ until it tastes like peppermint, as they do".

Ah, but what if they didn't flinch, but instead just said "Nice try, but it's not plugged in"?

That was a perfectly acceptable answer. :D The one guy who said something like that turned out to be a superb engineer, and after a few years with me, he went on to found several major networking companies and set up Google's server system. Billionaire now, if I'm not mistaken.

That was a perfectly acceptable answer. :D

"You've got the job, Mr. Holmes." :D

The one guy who said something like that turned out to be a superb engineer, and after a few years with me, he went on to found several major networking companies and set up Google's server system. Billionaire now, if I'm not mistaken.

You should have followed him. :p

se

Disabled Account
Joined 2012
But it is really impressive, 48hrs.
A DHL parcel from the US can take up to 3 weeks, hanging most of the time at Customs.

Patrick

My experience has been to use shipping containers. Bulk rate.... but you need to be able to fill one.... or go in with another in order to fill one. Then at entry port a broker handles it thru customs... smooth and fast if shipping many/lots of something. Individual pieces will kill you on costs. I used to get a few of my pieces thrown in to complete a container at lowest cost.

-RNM

There is an alternative. If you live near an airport, you may want to investigate cargo air shipping, you could be surprised (pleasantly). However, this will require that you fill out the forms by yourself (might not be too bad if the airline clerk is helpful), and whoever is to receive the shipment will also have to go to an airport and take the full blast of the customs service, which may be bad or nor so bad depending on the service they provide. Might be painful as hell, but may also turn out to all right.

This will also greatly depend on what you are shipping. For example, I declare my filters as computer related goods (which is at least partly true, some design bureaus use them for very professional work, etc). In the EU, there are no customs duties for such goods, so that reduces customs tariffs down to 0.2-0-4% of the nominal cost charged for customs inspections. However, the VAT will have to be paid, the shysters will not give up their pound of flesh.

Another route is to find shipping agents. Their total shipping costs are often lower than those offered by big services because they have special contracts with shipping agents, so the stuff is still delivered by UPS or FedEx, but at a significantly lower rates, in my case by 15-20%% lower rates for the same service. No hassels for you, they do it all and the recipient is also spared any hassle and receives it on a door to door basis.

By myself, UPS wants €120 for a typical package, and via my shipping agents I pay €89 for the same deal. That's 35% less.

Just reading about the wright Neumannish mod.

Keith Howards assertion that is is inaudible.

Proofs tied to the idea of the illustration of the inaudibility as contained in 96khz files.

Those files played back on delta sigma bit-shifters, which brings us to the problem of error increase in multiple ways, with digital files, specifically in the HF range.

Minuscule signal, thus percentage wise, the errors are larger as a component, in frequency, and amplitude, and phase. Jitter and other instabilities in bit-shifters is a huge problem.

Then the issue of people actually having the hearing capacity to tell the difference, tied to a brain which can discern what is going on. What you end up with is an average group which may scream that since they can't hear it, the problem is nonexistent. To go to ground when confronted with things they can't reach.... and talk measurements over that of hearing. It's all they know. It is understandable but also contains some aspects of being a problem for those who can discern.

~~~~
It comes back to that issue of the masses respecting (looking to) things they can idealize.

The bell curve bulk of humanity idealizes IQ's of about 130 as being genius... and being above that, in intelligence or an equivalence in hearing and whatnot, most times...leads to being ostracized and severely disrespected.

This being due to the masses who respect the one step ahead persons at 130 IQ as being genius and the two-three-four step ahead actual genius of 150-160-180+ IQ as being a crackpot and a psychotic. The result is that the world is run by people who peak at an IQ of about 135, and get to that level due to not having emotions cloud their logic, as they have none. Psychopaths and sociopaths.

This plays on the grand scale (world) and on the mini scale, even in the world of audio, but no so much with the type who lack emotions, in the world of audio, as it is about the music. Which is tied to emotional response.

Essentially the footsoliders of the status quo are the masses who idealize those who are 'not genius', 'genius' who are partially blind and lacking. Dangerously so, world wreckingly so -in fact.

Not so much in the world of audio, but moreso in the rest of the world's affairs. This is why mistracked and miswired nutbars run the world.

Anyway, pardon the digression. Relevant to the backdrop generalization of the issue covered here regarding it's origins and shape as complimentary pathways go, but not specifically relevant nor is it aimed at being a descriptive of the people in the situation I'm addressing.

~~~~

Recently Schiit has introduced a new type or change in DAC units. this 'Closed-Form Digital Filter', which is stated as being unique in the world of digital.

second point is that phase has always been difficult to hear with dacs. changing phase most times meant nothing.

yet, on a good RIAA set up, changing phase was easily heard and recognized, with a good system and a good set of well trained ears.

Loss of phase fine detail, even on a ladder dac, design is tricky, at best, and is fraught with inconsistencies. This is one aspect of dacs, even the better ladder dacs that alerted me to the fact that they tend toward sounding like metallic containers of hammered poop orifices.

One does their best with the trend of the middle of the bell curve (fake and repeat in a badly cloned venue) and is forced to works with the dacs ---instead of moving forward, from where we were before they came along.

Schiit says that phase is extremely obvious with their new unit. as a flipping of absolute phase, with this dac.

Now, in regular old analog audio, ie, RIAA, open reel, etc, there are many people who can't hear phase all that well, or other forms of distortion..as so many designs have phase issues as they were designed and executed by people who can't really hear it or understand the issue. Which retards and clouds the issue even more, via layering of incapacities... one on top of the other. Poop stacked in and on poop. Another dried ossified stack for people to yell and posture from.

Allen wright says that the air comes back on the recordings if the 50khz issue is taken care of. Keith Howard says the numbers say that it is inaudible. And supplies files, digital files, to illustrate his point.

Phase has always been difficult in digital. If not impossible, as phase is a subtle thing and digital has problems with subtlety. it falls into error as the predominant and consistent factor when the signal differentials are viewed in the subtlety domain.

problem being.... that hi quality audio is all about the subtleties in perfection of relationship to one another in all forms of dynamics, full wide-band. Basically DC to 200khz, due to inter aural pinae response additives. In-situ, on the fly.

Meaning, excellent audio, has a perfected macro to micro interlocked amplitude and inter-channel phase characteristic from DC to 200khz, with zero jitter, zero issues.

Only then do we begin to reach the limits of human hearing, the limits of the better wired ear as coupled to the better trained and learned ear tied to the better discerning brain. A complex and high Ear-Q, to coin a term.

This becomes a problem, as realities go... as it circles back to that issue of the world being run by nutbars, and those nutbars having been idolized by the masses and the genius and pinnacle of realities of the world.

It shows it's face in the world of audio, where the people who really understand what is going on, are ostracized, in some cases, by engineering foot-soldiers. Foot soldiers who don't know better, don't posses the reach.... and idolize the wrong things.

There is nothing wrong with working with what you know. But stretch of logic and stretch of mind is to be about the things you don't know, the things you don't understand, not the revelations that come easily as the frameworks.... is already in mind. One has to swim in areas where the potential for drowning are real and serious threats. Otherwise one is merely taking out the time to come to understandings one can reach... and that... is not anything new.

That is just an act of digging ditches that go further down the side of the road that already exists.

In the end, Keith seems like a nice guy and Allen seems like a nice guy, I'm just hopefully illustrating a point where error can be found, and that the question is complex, due to, well..the complexities. Filling in the backdrop of how these issues come about, and how they may portend.

Last edited:
Inverter input, at a guess. Usually (- at domestic scale, say under 10kW*) that's a medium-voltage DC bus under 400v (with AC components, esp, from some small-scale wind turbines, hence AC voltage rating), but does not require X-class rating for Phase-Neutral line exposure.

*in UK, domestic renewable microgeneration are hassle-free in terms of metering and paperwork up to 16A per phase outgoing, so with 1ph per household the norm, nominally up-to-4kW output systems onto 240VAC mains are by far the most common, and cost-effective.

Last edited:
Just reading about the wright Neumannish mod.

I was reading that... what's the 'Wright Neumannish mod'? You know, just got out of bed... went to splash some water in my face before reading on... oh, Allen Wright and the Neumann cutter... that woke me up. Hey, I mean, I was in the middle of all that, but you put an 'nish in there tricked me up for a second. :)

But I can point out that Allen considered flat response of digital playback as entirely different because it is an entirely different beast. There is something about digital being flat that is not the same as analog being flat.

So this beggars the question: Beyond the fact that it, cutter correction, created two camps of manufacturers, those who incorporated it and those that did not, the mere point that RIAA, whatever the reasons (and they important in themselves), the response that came out of the cartridge pins were non-flat RIAA.

So why does the output of a DAC's pins also have to be flat? RIAA and even cutter limitation (cutter protection?) can be EQ'd if you want it. So why does one get ostracised for suggesting something similar to be done with digital playback and in particular with delta-sigma types. There is no reason to insist it to be flat there, you still have the choice to correct it elsewhere, well before it get's to the ear.

Hence, modify it and if you see a need, then correct it elsewhere in the chain. It can be done post-DAC and even with USB DACs and using JRiver, you have 64bit para-EQ.

It's not all that different to what has been done before (I have to be careful here as this is entering 'Voldemort' territory that has caught the ire of the Mods before, but may get one more chance).

But there is a repeating theme here, that in one particular point in the chain, we may have a non-flat response (and Allen was perfectly right in pointing out that the Neumann was not flat - because it was), and that could be corrected elsewhere in the chain. It's your choice.

But I can tell you, Allen took the DSD signal from Sony's VC24 chip before that DAC (and Ted Smith from PS Audio did likewise) - it may surprise that he did not end up flat at 20KHz. Not the same scenario.

One has to swim in areas where the potential for drowning are real and serious threats. Otherwise one is merely taking out the time to come to understandings one can reach... and that... is not anything new.

Never say never, because then you never will.

Cheers, Joe

Status
Not open for further replies.