John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part II

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sadly for us Canada is difficult to deal with for warranties the customs people are most difficult and a free repair becomes expensive for the customer. thankfully this is pretty rare.
McMaster Carr won't even ship there. Anyplace else they are fantastic and an exceptional company. Aircraft Spruce just stuck a warehouse in Canada to make it easy.

Of course I have never had any real issue. I suspect it depends on the transit office.

I could suggest you set up a Canada service location and even suggest who...

Remember beauty is only skin deep. Idiocy seems to run all the way through!

On a different note as mentioned currently under construction is some new test equipment. My quadrature oscillator does not use conventional feedback but Wien resonantors. Without tweaking the worst distortion is third harmonic at -80. Should be good enough for what my final goal will be.

Only surprise was that each stage needs not just level settings but also band center tweaks.

Currently using 5532s in the prototype. Good thing, smoked one already. Layout mistake swapped + & - ? A real surprise as I never make missteaks.

ES

We did find a good repair place in Canada. Once every few years they get to fix something. Knowledgeable people that know the hot end of an iron seem to be difficult to find these days.

That is actually one of my interview questions! "Which end of a soldering iron do you hold?" Candidates who think it is a dumb question hint to me they have no real experience. If you haven't burned yourself, you probably don't have enough experience.

diyAudio Member RIP
Joined 2005
Currently using 5532s in the prototype. Good thing, smoked one already. Layout mistake swapped + & - ? A real surprise as I never make missteaks.

ES
When I was part of a fledgling company making motion-triggered audio message delivery devices, the President was as well a "studio teacher" and regarded himself as very intelligent, and stated this frequently.

For a show-and-tell I shipped him an EPROM with one of the latest audio clips, and included instructions as to how to orient it and plug it into a unit that he had already.

Everything worked. I said So you managed to get the orientation correct.

His response: You mean that makes a difference? :eek:

diyAudio Member RIP
Joined 2005
Now there's a patent. Quick, no time to lose :rolleyes:
I had another client who, when I told him how complex a system was I'd designed and built for him, and cited the number of ICs, he said Oh I thought those were just plastic with wires sticking out (he was about as old as my father and had known him when both were amateur radio enthusiasts in the 30's).

Good answers are:

"If I smell burning flesh I try the other end."

I try the end with the wire first.

The colder end allows me better control.

Or the honest one "I've done that wrong before."

Normal requirement around here is 1000 good XLR connectors on the bench before you get to solder in the field.

Anyone care to guess what bad solder joint can cost to fix? Current project is in Buffalo, we are located in Pittsburgh.

Status
Not open for further replies.