John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part II

Status
Not open for further replies.
To keep others from being mislead, I might point out that there are plenty of QUALITY phono stages out there, that bring out the very best that vinyl records can do.
Maybe if you actually read and listened to (understand) what others say it would help.

Frankly how dare you call my inputs misleading while you say the "Bybee's work for you".

Last edited:
Everyone brings up clicks and pops on vinyl, but the elephant in the room is how many CD's get scratched and are useless after a short time.

Doesn't happen to me, maybe I'm doing something wrong, like taking basic care of them. Of course, these days, I only play them once, just to rip them to HD.

The error correction is such that you really have to gouge a canyon to cause them to skip or drop out.

OT - live music

For those of you who are into jazz - check this young pianist out, if you have a chance - Beka Gochiashvili
www.youtube.com/watch?v=vDmslmBTXD4
I saw him yesterday playing with Stanley Clarke and what he was doing at his age was simply amazing.

P.S. Quote of the day by Stanley (when introducing his band):
" This is Beka, he's just 19 years old, this is xxx, he's a little older ... well, and I am 100 years old and my name is Louis Armstrong" :D

Last edited:
diyAudio Member RIP
Joined 2005
For those of you who are into jazz - check this young pianist out, if you have a chance - Beka Gochiashvili
www.youtube.com/watch?v=vDmslmBTXD4
I saw him yesterday playing with Stanley Clarke and what he was doing at his age was simply amazing.

P.S. Quote of the day by Stanley (when introducing his band):
" This is Beka, he's just 19 years old, this is xxx, he's a little older ... well, and I am 100 years old and my name is Louis Armstrong" :D
The kids are all right.

Okay,
So when I look at a data disk that has been kept in a quality cover, not a paper sleeve and it is scratched that is because I'm throwing it in the air and using it as a coaster right! BS, the DVD and CD drives damage the disks all by themselves. I've see all kinds of rotary scratches and I don't have cheap DVD drives in my computers. Now if you are only using the disk once, I can go with the fact they should look nice and clean but if you have had to do multiple installs with a data disk I don't buy it for a second. I've seen this on every kind of machine, I don't just leave disks laying around. It doesn't take a crater to make these disk hard to read, I don't agree at all.

To keep others from being mislead, I might point out that there are plenty of QUALITY phono stages out there, that bring out the very best that vinyl records can do.
But there are hardly any based on topologies being discussed in these recent pages, which might offer opportunity for improvement over convention on the face of it, some of which are considered taboo on false precepts ? Isn't it misleading to suggest not to explore them ? 'Very best' is just a hostage to fortune...........

A circuit for a change, nothing special but since many of the USB sound cards have a 2K or so input impedance on their low noise inputs I cobbled together a simple JFET buffer that runs off a single battery and has no additional coupling caps.........

Why not just use a JFET CCS instead of R1 ?

If you use 2SK2145 or 2SK209 (all Idss grades available at Mouser), and replace the trimmer with 2 fixed resistors,
you have good thermal tracking (stable DC) and can make this real small, most likely within 12x12mm for 2 channels.

OK, maybe not with 470uF caps ...... But Nichicon SW has 100µF 6.3V at D5 x L7.

Patrick

Last edited:
www.hifisonix.com
Joined 2003
Paid Member
My 30 year old son's rapidly growing vinyl collection. I went into a record store in Manchester UK with him on Saturday and most of the youngsters were walking out with LP's. The CD's were going for £10 and the LP's for £17.

I get the feeling that for digital on the move its downloads and for home listening its LP's with the youngsters.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    164.8 KB · Views: 172
Joined 2014
Paid Member
You are not the only one contributing here, Scott. There is a whole group who have little experience and are putting forth suggestions. No wonder many here don't believe that vinyl reproduction has much to offer.

Given that you have by your own admission been MC only for 30+years and almost everybody in the current MM discussion believes vinyl, for all its inadequacies can still be fun not sure where you are coming from here.

Status
Not open for further replies.