John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part II

Status
Not open for further replies.
diyAudio Member RIP
Joined 2005
Slightly OT:

Found an article by Bode, from 1940, and the abstract shows that Mr. Bode had a nice sense of humour/reality, as well as excellent command of the language, witness:

"THE engineer who embarks upon the design of a feedback amplifier must be a creature of mixed emotions. On the one hand, he can rejoice in the improvements in the characteristics of the structure which feedback promises to secure him. On the other hand, he knows that unless he can finally adjust the phase and attenuation characteristics around the feedback loop so the amplifier will not spontaneously burst into uncontrollable singing, none of these advantages can actually be realized. The emotional situation is much like that of an impecunious young man who has impetuously invited the lady of his heart to see a play, unmindful, for the moment, of the limitations of the $2.65 in his pockets. The rapturous comments of the girl on the way to the theater would be very pleasant if they were not shadowed by his private speculation about the cost of the tickets."

Jan
That's great! One of my prized books is his magnum opus, Network Analysis and Feedback Amplifier Design, in the Bell Labs series, which is inscribed by Hendrik Bode on the FFEP. Last I looked there were none such up for sale, and I was astonished that the former owner did not think the Bode signature was worth mentioning!

diyAudio Member RIP
Joined 2005
Yes, you need to publish if you don't want to see someone else patent your invention. So, Brad, your best protection is to tell us all exactly what your idea is.
Yes, I've done something similar in this forum before, about applying a "cooled" or other negative resistance termination to a low-inductance transducer (MC cartridge) to realize the 75 us tau a la Cordell's suggestion for overdamped MM. That is, the neg R cancels in part the cartridge internal R to give a sufficiently low overall effective damping resistance. I did this so someone else couldn't secure an exclusionary patent. The as-usual devil in the details is that the positive feedback needed is difficult to realize without significant distortion.

Actually a disclosure of the gist of it was made many years ago, and I did some initial prior-art searching, but effectively, probably under NDA, so wouldn't count. But my own views about patents, SY's remarks voiced at the time in disagreement, is that they are virtually worthless unless you are backed by a good-sized corporation.

And I just use a large thermal mass and limit the power per device. The cold plate is 1/2" aluminum and the thermostat is inside the drawer top center.

It was interesting to run a test with the unit powered from 4 volts to 12 volts and using a small 45"**2 aluminum plate as the thermal load (room temperature). Increasing the voltage lowered the temperature up to 8 volts then it leveled off rather dramatically. You could watch the increasing internal resistance and loss of efficiency.

I would limit the thermal mass but at least using a finned heat sink on the cold side. The thermal mass of aluminum is half of copper, so aluminum is good there. would use a fan inside too. A good heat sink on the hot side is desirable too. As you lower the dt both hot and cold, you get more -Q for the buck. Yes they are not linear. http://www.marlow.com/media/marlow/product/downloads/pl054-6-40-01ls/PL054-6-40%20Pre-production.pdf

The link shows this in a similar size TEC by Marlow, you can see the run away region. If you load down the TEC too much, thermal mass, you will be prone to run away.

Run this program, you can find a similar TEC in the database. pretty accurate, well help with transient response. for simple shapes. as you get closer I can run an FEA for you.

http://www.lairdtech.com/support/learning-center/product-selection-tools/aztec-software-download

Last edited:
I've heard a million dollars is an average sum needed for a patent lawsuit, so yes a small company or person would have a hard time defending or fighting a patent suit. Big corporations know this and use this information to push smaller companies around. Does the old factor of sales to the public before any patent is issued hold true that you can't patent after the claim or physical device has been released to the public?

I've heard a million dollars is an average sum needed for a patent lawsuit, so yes a small company or person would have a hard time defending or fighting a patent suit. Big corporations know this and use this information to push smaller companies around. Does the old factor of sales to the public before any patent is issued hold true that you can't patent after the claim or physical device has been released to the public?

Funny or not so funny recent story. BTW I think the writer got it wrong the dispute is over trademark AFAIK copyrighting recipes was thrown out by the courts when Alice Waters tried to stop restaurants from using recipes from her books.

Shire City Herbals, a company out of Pittsfield, Massachusetts, was recently granted the copyright for Fire Cider, a traditional remedy that was neither created nor named by the company. They then issued cease and desist orders to companies that have been selling this product long before Shire City Herbals was created. Rosemary Gladstar has published the recipe for fire cider in several of her books and began teaching people how to make it over 35 years ago. Her teachings led to this remedy being made by thousands of herbalists over several decades.

Last edited:

Starts the one year clock running in the US, kills most other jurisdictions.

diyAudio Member RIP
Joined 2005
Starts the one year clock running in the US, kills most other jurisdictions.
Ah the one-year US run is still law. Something to know.

Three of my patents were nick-of-time ones on features of a three-piece powered speaker system Harman sold to Dell. As far as I know, no one had any interest in figuring out what was being done and copying any of it. I got into hot water with a friend because he thought I had ripped off his virtualization matrix, and the idiot attorney had deleted references to his papers, on one of which I was a courtesy co-author. We practically pasted in portions about the basic approach before getting to the innovation (to make the transition between his matrix and either mono or stereo controlled by a dual potentiometer and smoothly adjustable), so I could understand his being upset, but I explained what had happened and we remain friends. Then he had the additional indignity of having Harman drop pursuit of his own patent altogether, when after a regime change Gina Harman said No more money for multimedia patents! So there was no response to an office action which would have been easy to address and might have incurred a few thousand more in attorney fees. John had left the company by then to work for Nvidia, so wasn't there to try to change Ms. Harman's mind. She was upset because during the reign of the previous head of MM, the industrial design guy was getting design patents on practically everything he sketched, probably including coffee stains, and the law firm was charging 5k a pop.

I tell ya.

Status
Not open for further replies.