John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part II

Status
Not open for further replies.
Disabled Account
Joined 2012
May be this is the mechanism behind my inability to hear any detrimental effect (if there is one) from the steep roll-off subsonic filter (I tried again from no filter , to 6dB/oct , to 12 and up to 48dB/oct).

George

It appears that way from the psychoacoustic research i put up. It also matches my experience (as it should) that when i remove early reflections i hear more detail and subtle changes to the timber etc. You just cannot hear it from a far/reverb field environment.

If you try it near-field monitoring and do not hear detrimental affects, then all is good, I would think.

Thx-RNMarsh

Last edited:
Richard,
You must still have some very acute hearing for your age to hear to the level you are talking about, and I mean that as a complement. At the level you are discussing a dedicated listening room would be required, a normal listening room would more than overcome the level of discrimination you are after.

A LEDE control room has the dead end where the loudspeakers are located to prevent comb filtering and the live end at the back wall
to allow more perceived spaciousness. It is the opposite of what is normally assumed.

In many cases, I've found that the sound is much improved by absorbent material behind one's head, rather than a reflective surface.
A medium size wool rug, attached to a wood frame and hung on the wall like a picture behind your head, works very well.
The effects of this are quite easy to hear, no golden ears required.

In filters that show pre and post ringing to an impulse stimulus, I think this is caused by the HF components propagating through the filter faster than the LF components. This has nothing to do with electrical properties of course, but the mathematical processes. Thus, causality is preserved.

Bonsai, so if I understand you correctly, you are saying that
frequencies of 14,000 Hz and 33 Hz frequency will go through
the filters in different time frames. Why a math process and
not electrical?

In filters that show pre and post ringing to an impulse stimulus, I think this is caused by the HF components propagating through the filter faster than the LF components.
Actually, no: that's precisely because the relative timing of all reproduced harmonics is exactly preserved that such a visual artifact is created when the waveform is observed in the time domain. It is just that, a visual artifact. You do not even need to invoke a time machine (except of course that brickwall filtering inevitably requires some storage time, but that is a different subject)

At 15Hz. See these two previous posts
Thanks, George.

On the other hand, with no filter but just damping the mechanical arm/cart resonance, this is the frequency/phase response just from the mechanical system. You can see the natural 2nd order roll-off, which will always have fewer artefacts and audible effects than an extra electronic filter. An extra filter should be unnecessary if the resonance is controlled well mechanically IME.

Attachments

• damped mechanical resonance response.JPG
    damped mechanical resonance response.JPG
    231.4 KB · Views: 200
Disabled Account
Joined 2012
Richard,
You must still have some very acute hearing for your age to hear to the level you are talking about, and I mean that as a complement. At the level you are discussing a dedicated listening room would be required, a normal listening room would more than overcome the level of discrimination you are after.

The listening room was chosen to have irregular shape and large volume and a balance with absorption... ceiling is high so there is no early bounce off that.... ceiling is unpainted red wood boards covering 100%. Floor is a honey-comb concrete (no vibration) with 2-3cm of pad and rug covering 80%. additional hidden absorption panels around the room. low freq are supported by driving the speakers into the room length. I sit near middle and close to speakers.

Speaker mid and highs are controlled directivity thru waveguides or I use flat panel speakers (Quads) to their dispersion advantage.

View attachment RNM's listening room size.pdf

THx-RNMarsh

Last edited:
Joined 2005
Paid Member
Richard,
Was the room purpose built or finishing treatment of an existing property?
Given your interest in AC power distribution and filtering is the room 's AC supply feed from an isolation transformer ? With device level individual outlet filtering ? The drawing doesn't show any local adult beverage temperature controlled storage enclosures (aka the beer fridge) as I suspect condenser motor noise would be distracting? Steve Eddy's chair seems to be missing as well.....

Last edited:
AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Thanks, George.

On the other hand, with no filter but just damping the mechanical arm/cart resonance, this is the frequency/phase response just from the mechanical system. You can see the natural 2nd order roll-off, which will always have fewer artefacts and audible effects than an extra electronic filter. An extra filter should be unnecessary if the resonance is controlled well mechanically IME.

So if the mech cartridge/arm resonance is not there, or at a too high frequency, what does that say about the mech properties? Does that mean that the cart is too heavy and/or the arm too damped?

See attached; one is a 'good' (I think) setup, the other less so :)

Jan

Attachments

• tonearmcart res 1.png
    tonearmcart res 1.png
    89.8 KB · Views: 186
  • tonearmcart res 2.png
    tonearmcart res 2.png
    10.5 KB · Views: 190
No, it's real and can be audible.
No: it is a purely visual artifact. If you remove harmonics greater than a certain # from a signal without modifying anything to the phases/timing of the rest of the signal, that's exactly what you are going to get.
For example in the video Scott posted, it's clearly demonstrated as an audible event.
That's another issue: in our real analogue world, you can cannot remove some frequency components without impacting the phases of the others, and if our brain detects such an unnatural manipulation, it will raise an alarm.
This changes nothing to the fact that pre-ripples violate in no way causality, etc,... (except you need to store part of the signal to achieve it, but that's nothing out of the ordinary since our latency time for the perception of such signals can vary from a few minutes to some tens of years: adding a few tens of ms seems rather innocuous)

No: it is a purely visual artifact. If you remove harmonics greater than a certain # from a signal without modifying anything to the phases/timing of the rest of the signal, that's exactly what you are going to get.

This concept of causality is fraught with problems. By coincidence I've been volunteering at the local golf tournament with full network coverage. I had an interesting discussion with one of the video techs on how important incidental sound is to a sports broadcast. Syncing sound to video when the mics are sometimes 100' away from the action and just as far apart is an interesting problem. There was a lot of spot mikeing hidden everywhere and dozens of "silent" 2000W camouflaged generators.

The pre-ringing of a brickwall filter is a mathematical necessity. If you sync a video of a drummer to the sound and try to heavily linear phase filter the bass, what you get is most definitely non-causal in the useful sense.

EDIT - just notice go Herr Langer!!!

Last edited:
This concept of causality is fraught with problems. By coincidence I've been volunteering at the local golf tournament with full network coverage. I had an interesting discussion with one of the video techs on how important incidental sound is to a sports broadcast. Syncing sound to video when the mics are sometimes 100' away from the action and just as far apart is an interesting problem. There was a lot of spot mikeing hidden everywhere and dozens of "silent" 2000W camouflaged generators.

Funny thing,

When they last held the Masters four blocks from my house I figured it would be easiest to volunteer there as it is a two lane bridge, inadequate for the expected traffic, for the daily commute.

So I filled out the volunteer application mentioning that I had 30 or so 2-way radios, had done a few World Series, NHL events etc. Normally of course I would get $500 a day for my services. But as I thought driving would be difficult, walking a few blocks and getting sunburned for a few days would be a nice change of pace.

Of course they accepted my application and wanted me to drive V.I.P.s. In addition they wanted a $335.00 fee for the official volunteer T-shirts.

So what did you get to pay for the honor?

www.hifisonix.com
Joined 2003
Paid Member
Bonsai, so if I understand you correctly, you are saying that
frequencies of 14,000 Hz and 33 Hz frequency will go through
the filters in different time frames. Why a math process and
not electrical?

I was specifically referencing digital filters - sorry. I should have made that clearer.

Separately, you cannot disobey causality. God does not play dice with time, to paraphrase uncle A.

Status
Not open for further replies.