John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part II

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just got an idea - I have this vibration sensor I used for speaker enclosures, maybe I should try it out on my record player!

Jan
You have yet a nice detector in your record player: Its head. :p
Just store the diamond on a stationary disk, and play your generator in your speakers.And you will measure what matters, IE, including the head+arm resonances.

Last edited:
Thanks guys for the suggestions and pointers. My initial interest is to see how much (or not) the TT vibrates from the sound in the room.
I'l report back here.

Jan

I have not measured but have experimented with a basic idea. On my Philips belt drive turntable, I placed stylus on a wooden peg which rested on the plinth. I kept the turntable on thick folds of cloth so as vibrations from floor doesn't creep in the turntable. With platter running (to generate noise) I increased the volume of my amplifier. The sound waves from speaker did produce vibration in the cartridge only to be amplified again. Kind of feedback of microphone. Here is the video. I tried to cutoff vibrations in the air with dust cover. This is just unrefined experiment as I have no knowledge of measurements etc.
Regards

Joined 2014
Paid Member
your point being? So you would rather have undampened flapping to deal with rather than dampened? Note that the Rock with the DP-8 was reviewed in TAS 209. Perhaps someone with a copy can see if the front trough was used.

Damping an oscillation at source makes a lot of sense. Yet few do it. Odd.

Agree - a well set up sub does wonders for the sound stage
Hello Andrew.
What is actually meant by 'the sound stage' ?.
And how is serious bottom end a benefit to 'the sound stage' ?.

With my active 8" 2 ways I have pin sharp centre (perfectly narrow and stable), infinite depth (mic distances perfectly revealed ), precise positioning from out past each speaker and sounds from behind.
IOW clarity and positioning to die for.
The downside is subtle lack of bottom end....or is that lack of subtle bottom end ?.
I have tried a touch of graphic eq and that helps.

I recently grabbed a pair of 15's in 137L cabinets.
What's your mileage on suitable rollout frequency, slope and filter type.
And active or passive for that matter ?.

Dan.

Status
Not open for further replies.