John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part II

Status
Not open for further replies.
My ex partner laid out the wings and the cockpit of the B2 you just pictured. I got a few phone calls about the coatings on that plane and how to apply them while he was working on that plane. As RNM says he was higher than secret clearance, for your eyes only level. I never asked him any questions about that plane but knew he should never have received that clearance, the DOD did a shitty background check I can tell you that!

The stories I heard about what went on at White Sands makes you wonder how we keep any secrets at all? I could never get the clearance when I wanted it as I had declared bankruptcy at one point to get out from under and that makes you an immoral person in their eyes. Now what goes on everyday with those once past getting that clearance and what I have heard from others who are commercial pilots would make you cringe and not want to fly I can honestly say that.

Last edited:
diyAudio Member RIP
Joined 2005
My ex partner laid out the wings and the cockpit of the B2 you just pictured. I got a few phone calls about the coatings on that plane and how to apply them while he was working on that plane. As RNM says he was higher than secret clearance, for your eyes only level. I never asked him any questions about that plane but knew he should never have received that clearance, the DOD did a shitty background check I can tell you that!
I had a friend who worked for TRW and saved their a$$ on a big chemical laser (Deuterium Fluoride, nasty biz). He was also marginal in the good-judgment department when it came to blabbing about the project. I eventually deduced that he was expected to leak information, part of a strategy to unnerve The Enemy.

When I met his boss at a conference about instrumentation in astronomy, organized by the aptly-named SPIE, in no time flat, the moment Chris had gone somewhere, he told this guy with a ponytail and hiking boots (I was a presenter) that he couldn't live with him and couldn't live without him.

The late great Doug Sax once opined that the metal master was the least-volatile recording of all. This was back in the infancy of digital.

Maybe one of Doug's direct to disc masters would be the ticket.
NASA sent a gold-plated copper LP-like disc on the Voyager, which took it out of the solar system.
There are also instructions on how to play back the sounds and pictures recorded on it.

Brad,
I do know what you are saying about extreme low bass, it just causes many problems with neighbors when you can do that, mine moved, but that was the intention as far as they were concerned. I did some bass horns for PA with dual 18" drivers with a 25% loading of those cones. Having someone turn those on while I was standing right in front of them almost took out my ears, literally the bass spl level made my ears rings, it was painful. Four of those enclosures replaced 16 Meyer enclosures and had higher output with 1/2 the devices.

Sy,
Your correct about that, but they do talk, that is part of the problem. He was back with me after his boss quit at Northrup and we got back together for a few more years, As I said I never asked any questions about that plane, I didn't need to know and he didn't need to tell or go to jail. But I will say there were many that worked on that program and others who really had no business with DOD approved clearance. I've been on the other side where I worked on a Black project where we had to keep our mouths shut that we were doing development on a project so the big boys wouldn't find out the Air Force was having us develop a plane that wasn't known or developed by the big three manufacturers. I left after we developed the first tooling and made the first prototype plane that flew unmanned with some really advanced at the time flight control systems. It was fun to work on and I learned a lot about composites that I had not known until then. Some of the best composite guys I've ever worked with, one of them was from F1, he could make the prettiest tooling I have seen before or since. I'm pretty sure that the program got canned once the fact the plane was tested got out, it was a direct competitor with the Predator at the time and was 3X as fast in the air with 9G's banking. All carbon fiber composite airframe when the big guys were just doing that on the most advanced planes.

Anyone who ever played one of these know you could not hear it on stage but it would pummel the innards of the audience.

Attachments

• acoustic-control-corp-370-371-301-cabinet_251651597027.jpg
    acoustic-control-corp-370-371-301-cabinet_251651597027.jpg
    24.6 KB · Views: 179
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Digital filters
Very little

Thank you both for replying :)

???
Jan...... this outlandisch description is what is given in every AES and other paper on the sound of high GD at low freq.... that is why. Even in some of the ones I just put up here recently.

Richard
The quoted text (with my underlining) was this:

Initial experiments, carried out using program material recorded using the equipment described earlier, suggested that lowering the cutoff frequency produced the subjective effect of less bass. This at first surprising result may be due to the fact that the ear is assessing the overall bass response more in terms of the frequency- dependent time delay at low frequencies, which imparts a "boomy" characteristic to the sound, rather than on spectral content.”

I read two claims in this sentence.
The first is a clear claim, stated as a fact:
The ear is assessing the overall bass response more in terms of the frequency- dependent time delay at low frequencies, rather than on spectral content.
The second is implied:
Long time delays at low frequencies imparts a "boomy" characteristic to the sound

The second claim is the one that can be met “in every AES and other paper” and in some of the ones you just put up here recently. It is most probably the result of observations
But the first claim needs at least some serious experimental verification for to be regarded (accepted) as a fact. Does such verification through controlled experiments exist?

Are you serious

The objection is not on the usefulness of the HP filter

There is a thread dedicated to Group Delay (Questions and Analysis)
In an effort to tighten up the sound in the bass region, I’ve been trying to correlate what I hear to what I measure

and forget about anything that is truly a fundamental below that range

With music tones even if during reproduction the fundamental component (lowest frequency component of their complex harmonic structure) is missing, they still can be perceived without having their pitch shifted higher in frequency. For our brain reconstructs the missing fundamental through it’s harmonics that are retained during the reproduction (e.g a complex music tone composed of 50Hz and it’s harmonics 100Hz ,150Hz, 200Hz, 250Hz. If 50Hz are filtered out completely, it is the common denominator(50Hz) of the remaining harmonics that guides our brain to fil- in the missing fundamental (50Hz). The more the harmonics and stronger they are, the more robust the fill –in effect is.
This kind of reconstruction fails with low frequency sounds that lack or have a weak harmonic structure (some forms of LF ambient noise)

George

Last edited:
diyAudio Member RIP
Joined 2005
Also, to confound things further, recall that there is enough IM distortion in our hearing apparatus that we hear bass energy at the difference frequency of two loud closely-spaced tones. Telemann exploited this in pieces for two recorders, as described by Arthur Benade in his classic popularization book, Horns, Strings, and Harmony.

I believe this type of technology would be fantastic to recover old vinyl original sound directly from the metal master or "mother" in metal.
They were not exposed to durst. The metal is shining and easier to be read by light, i think.
And the grooves not affected by the wear of diamonds reading them during decades.
A way to get better sound than using master tapes demagnetized by years ?
+1 if it is a Shining Master (of Masters). Hopefully they won't end up
like film in storage in a warehouse somewhere, corroding or dissolving into
nothingness.

This reminds me early on during the digital evolution as CDs were just
coming to market...During a NAB (National Association of Broadcasters) conference I stopped by Sony booth. We discussed the audio mastering
processes AAA, DDD, ADD, etc. Don't get me lieing here, but if I recall
correctly the analogue master was done on a 1inch C type machine or maybe
1/2 inch or 3/4 inch. using Hi tape speed....It was laid down the prior week.

We compared that with an even older...like six month digital tape master
done at slow speed. The results were quite amazing at the time as the digital
tape master sounded much better, cleaner, no hiss with much more detail.

I was still surprised though that hi end CDs even at that time, 1985,1986 sounded better when mastered sequence was ADD or AAD as opposed to using full DDD CD master.

For DIY to mid level professional recording I prefer the first recordings
in analogue then to digital. I've bought a lot of local musicians discs
and if they are all digital, they don't sound so hot. They are missing
that visceral live music feel to it.

Another guy that I've known for sometime who lives out in L.A.
(Los Angeles, California, U.S.A.) described
an interesting studio, that he refuses to identify...has these features.
You walk in it is a fully modern SOTA recording studio...as you
walk through the studio you take a turn or two and go through a door
or two you end up in a prestine fully old analogue recording studio.

Any one know which or who's studio it is?
Good think L.A. isn't that large right?

Did/is Muscle Shoals Recording Studio, Tennesse, U.S.A. fully dismantled, a shell, or fully restored?

George,
Thanks for that comment about harmonics, I have read that here and other places many times now. So those companies who in the past had a higher cutoff frequency would have used this phenomena to create that sense of very low bass output. I remember the fs of many of the older 15" pro speakers very rarely got anywhere near 20hz resonance frequency, probably causes more problems in live music than high frequency feedback, that roar of bass feedback is very distinct and I often would notice the low frequency cut filter applied during live performances for this very reason. Nobody seemed to miss that extremely low frequency content during live shows I have been involved with in the past.

Don't confuse a control system with the structural components or the avionics. I can guarantee you they can have software failure and still work. Can your audio?

I don't understand what your point is with the above. Avionics with DFBW does contemplate failure. What protects it is that it is quadroplexed - multiple failures.

On one hand I was posting pictures of systems that are inherently unstable and can only fly because of these avionics, that are not using analog circuitry. Prove I'm wrong, go ahead.

The first analog implementation was the F-16.

Airbus was already working with DFBW by 1980.

Fly-by-wire (1980-1987)| Airbus, a leading aircraft manufacturer

With the B-2, that is an inherently unstable aircraft. The contract wasn't awarded till '91. I don't know where you can know if it is digital or not, could still be considered a secret, but considering the multiple data points required and coordination of flight surfaces, I doubt it is analog.

So - software failure in DFBW means mandatory failover resources. So if I had that, yeah it would be not a problem.

But still - I don't know your point with that.

Software "fixed" those instabilities. Extreme examples, yes but still working 2 billion dollar ones, worth much more than my paltry equipment.

Oh, I get it now.

Let's have some fun and also use a similar non-sequitur:

...Let's not confuse the parts with the sum: I can guarantee you that with software failure, these audio systems would continue to function without its use. If not to correct inherent imbalance, why else would we have DSP's as part of some high end OB systems?...

See, other people can do the same thing.

Well TTFN, I have gig. Have a good evening all.

Anyone who ever played
one of these know you could not hear it on stage but it
would pummel the innards of the audience.
That the dual 18" bass cab? A bass buddy of mine had one.
It was quite good if I recall, he was quite good really too.

I think he used that with a 12 inch Aguilar monitor...for stage use : )
which explains the 12. I can't recall if he complained about
the same thing....especially in small venues the folks at the
back got the full impact.

He had a couple of other cabs and amp's as well.
The Ampeg 8 drivers x 8 inch speakers if I recall.
Then there was another Ampeg similar to that Acoustic
with an amplifier at the bottom of it. 2 x 18 maybe another
that was 2 x 15. Could have also been a Kustom cab similar to those
also.

Was it Acoustic that also had the Matching Colosseum Head?

I worked on a lot of this stuff, but that was many moons ago.
I think most of it was really wired with thin wire,
you were lucky if was even as large as 18 gauge.
I always went back through it with 12 gauge
pair and soldered up the speaker connections,
used heavy duty jacks, etc.

Even back then they were building to a price point.

George,

Thanks for posting the link and other links filling in the missing information
from these. Sometimes, and everyone is guilty of it, now and again downloaded
a source and it's too big to upload, can't find the link right then, come back and
forget to finish something...always appreciated.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.