John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part II

Status
Not open for further replies.
This argument that you have to understand the devices down to the physics level is insane. By that standard because we were all taught when we went to grammar school that power went from positive to negative there should never have been a functional circuit and everything that John ever built must be cr*p. I don't buy into this argument for a minute, this is over the top.

Not "the" charge, charge. So when Vito Charge enters Joe Charge leaves as quickly as possible.

No. Signal is not the same as charge. Period.

The Vito and Joe thing shows that you don't really understand electrons. Fermion wavefunctions anticommute.

@Scott, often charge is carried by electrons, but clearly not always. Holes, for example. Ions. Solitons. Polarons. Muons. I'm sure there's more.

Probably a stupid question. If we can know the average behavior of electrons and charges, what can-we know about each of them ? I mean, what can-we know witch electron is moving from an atom to an other or free to move out of the atoms ?
(Oh, my poor English :-(
In other words, can-we make a difference between planets leaving the attractions of a sun and free objects in the space ?

Last edited:
It's a question which is grammatically correct but is actually meaningless. There's no such thing as an "individual" electron, they are indistinguishable in a QM sense. It's not intuitive because our day to day existence is in a realm where quantum effects aren't observed (i.e., the classical limit).

QM seems crazy, but it gives correct answers.

Charge is not necessarily electrons, but electrons are charge, and we use the terms interchangeably in most circumstances.

The problems only arise when individuals are intent on failing to communicate while continuing the appearance of a conversation.

Generally a kind of oneupmanship, and one of the most despicable aspects of this or any other hobby.

Last edited:
Charge is not necessarily electrons, but electrons are charge, and we use the terms interchangeably in most circumstances.

Electrons HAVE charge, but they absolutely are NOT charge any more so than they are spin or mass. It's just a quantum number which relates to observable properties of the particle.

None of this is relevant to audio, though, despite the lame huckstering attempts.

Electrons HAVE charge, but they absolutely are NOT charge any more so than they are spin or mass. It's just a quantum number which relates to observable properties of the particle.

None of this is relevant to audio, though, despite the lame huckstering attempts.

I'm sorry, SY, you're perfectly correct that this is an appropriate distinction to draw in some circumstances, but my whole point was that it's not necessarily useful in some contexts. When we communicate we anticipate that the recipient of the message will not deliberately switch context in order to generate a red-herring disagreement.

Today, I found this long lost (17 years?) article written by my former office mate (25 years) regarding tweaks and mods. He was a believer, and I am too!

Attachments

• Picture 14.jpg
    Picture 14.jpg
    782.8 KB · Views: 174
Update:

Well I've been organizing my bench, finding part, taking care of my little girl,
and now that I can finally test some caps I see all that is overwith now and
everyone is discussing electrons, et al.

In the mean time since I'm in a testing mode
I'm looking to testing and matching some of the Toshiba 2sc2240bl & 2sa970bl.
Problem:

I NEED the transistors.

Anyone know a source that might want to part with
as in sell about 50 - 100 of the 2240s and 25 - 50 of the 970s?

I'm estimating that for Toshiba's I would use about 1/3 of those
for close match in old preamps that could use them. PM me please.

Maybe some of y'all already know this, but here was some interesting
information regarding recording methodology with the San Francisco Symphony:

San Francisco Symphony Orchestra @ Davies Hall

Cheers,

Sync

It's funny to see the engineers so inconclusive about a subject that is so
well covered on the internet.
In another thread the argument was that a signal has no "delay" in a high
speed audio amp. Then electrons came up.
Wikipedia and a hundred physics sites = drift velocity ... copper and semi's
are different (than in a vacuum).

But it took just a couple posts ... not pages of back and forth banter.
I guess this is a "lounge" ???

OS

Status
Not open for further replies.