John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part II

Status
Not open for further replies.
Returning to a practical 4Q all fet design:
R1-4 are 10 ohms in this design, probably the LOWEST value that I would use. It will change with the Idss, and TYPE of the jfet quad used.
The 1K load is close to the maximum that I would use, and often I use a smaller value.
Most of the distortion performance will depend on the MOSFETS used. Some don't match well, some are just better than others.
Now why do I keep showing this sort of design? Well, I use it a lot. I am a true believer in design elegance and the most linear OPEN LOOP performance, rather than brute force, using lots of feedback. It works for me, measures relatively well, if done carefully, and usually does not even need AC balance (which can be a problem in other ways).

Attachments

• practical 4Q.jpg
    practical 4Q.jpg
    234.3 KB · Views: 266
diyAudio Member RIP
Joined 2005
R1-4 are 10 ohms in this design, probably the LOWEST value that I would use. It will change with the Idss, and TYPE of the jfet quad used.
The 1K load is close to the maximum that I would use, and often I use a smaller value.
Most of the distortion performance will depend on the MOSFETS used. Some don't match well, some are just better than others.
Now why do I keep showing this sort of design? Well, I use it a lot. I am a true believer in design elegance and the most linear OPEN LOOP performance, rather than brute force, using lots of feedback. It works for me, measures relatively well, if done carefully, and usually does not even need AC balance (which can be a problem in other ways).
What DMOS would you suggest?

Hi John,

Which JFETs are you specifying for this design? 2SK170/2SJ74?

What tail current are you running through the input stage?

Why MOSFETs for the second stage. I'm guessing BJTs would be more quiet and lower distortion.

Cheers,
Bob

the most linear OPEN LOOP performance, rather than brute force, using lots of feedback.

Really? It appears to me this design has actually gobbles of feedback. At a quick visual inspection, assuming as mosfets something like the 2SK213/2SJ79 pair (gm=35mA/V @ Id=10mA) the differential open loop gain is about 85-90dB. Subtract the differential closed loop gain of 26dB makes for 64dB of loop gain (at low frequency, of course). That's about as much you would get by using an average opamp.

I would think the open loop bandwidth is about 1KHz, nothing to call home about, even if this would make any difference (it doesn't, actually).

P.S. To make some die hard fans happy, this design may qualify as a "CFA". The impedance at the negative input is low, etc...

Last edited:
diyAudio Member RIP
Joined 2005
John,

The 2sJ313/2SK2013 are a discontinued Toshiba pair that Pass Labs is using in some current preamps and possibly power amps. I believe Nelson has the entire remaining inventory stored in his wine cellar.
Now you're talking. I can imagine a whole new set of criteria for semiconductors mapping to wine terminology.

"We can't use those 2SK389V parts yet---they aren't ready."

Read the descriptions for NOS tubes. Not that different, really. And just as obsessive as a Burgundy-phile: "Oh, you need the late 50s version with the square holes, black plates, and d-shaped getter from the Glitzenholen factory. The round getter ones from Arboisette and the later Glitzenholens with round holes are horrible."

Disabled Account
Joined 2012
audibility of jitter

The jitter analyzer arrived..... nice with two inputs to do comparisons. Internal or external master clock.

Audibility of jitter? How much is too much? ... and what can be done about it or to improve on it from the user view point;

A few of many re. jitter:

View attachment Jitter ADC 1 USB.pdf
View attachment Specifying_Jitter_Performance.pdf
View attachment AES 2926 jitter.PDF
View attachment AES 6948 jitter.pdf

Too bad this site doesnt allow larger file size... some very good stuff cannot be included here.

Most of the efforts go into the practical design and its limitations and how to improve on them and not about the theory.... which i hear too much about here at DIY-land. IMO.

THx-RNMarsh

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.