John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part II

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh, NOOOOOOOO ! Not that name ! Don't open the Pandora's box !!!!
The forces of evil will spread on earth at a speed superior to that of light while the laws of physics will suffer the ultimate outrages !
An army of bloodthirsty objectivists will rush on the poor ordinary people we are ...
I doubt we could survive to such a crisis !
LOL.
Hey, I am listening to my stereo fitted with a No Name Quantum Purifier right now..... I am still perfectly intact, and so is my stereo.
Anybody know where I can get a flux capacitor.....

Dan.

I suspect the plating is not as good an ohmic conductor as is the foil. In the test circuit (a 10 watt power amp) there may have been enough current differential to make it an issue.

But as you raise a good point next time I am ordering boards I'll try to include a test section with a series of through plated holes as a test sample.

I will also assume your boards get made at a high quality facility where some of mine get made at whoever is cheapest.

ES

I have been thinking about this problem, generally when I have to get a reasonably high current from one layer to another the best way to do it is to use multiple small vias, in an array. The plating down the barrel of any hole should be of good quality and should be the same as the copper foil only 20-25microns thick, that said it is one of the areas of PCB manufacture where total commitment to quality is paramount, the problem is that things seem to be slipping as a recent report by Printed Circuit Design and Fabrication has highlighted:
Printed Circuit Design & Fab Online Magazine - PCB Fabrication Processes and Their Effects on Fine Copper Barrel Cracks
This is worrying because this problem (PTH plating) was a cause of many failures and problems in the late 80's that I had hoped had gone away, obviously not.
If you can ask your supplier for a micro section across a PTH hole, some suppliers do it as a QA check when doing batches of boards and are often willing to supply them, this does vary and with more and more cheap sources of PCB fabricators appear and outsourcing from known supplies increases I think that these quality issues are going to appear. So I would suspect bad plating in your case, the use of multiple smaller vias should help mitigate some of the problems, if you give it a go I would be interested in any differences found in measurements between different designs.

CD player system is controlled by the CD player DSP master clock.
Disc rotational speed is servo controlled in order to keep DSP FIFO buffer stage half full.
This FIFO buffer effectively removes playback recovered data speed variations due to disc rotational speed variation, and reflection (pit/land) transition point uncertainty.
The audio data output timing precision of the CDP DSP stage is directly according to the precision of the CDP DSP master clock/oscillator.
Any timing variation in the data feed to the DAC stage constitutes frequency (jitter) modulation of the audio output.

In typical consumer grade CD players, there are plenty of causes of DSP oscillator/clock timing variations (jitter).....power supply noise, ground noise, DSP chip internal noise etc.

Any timing variation of the recording ADC stage clock encodes frequency modulation in the decoded audio even if the playback clock is perfectly constant/precise.
So in practice, for digital record/playback systems, typically there are two imprecise clock oscillator stages effectively in series.
IOW, this means frequency modulated decoding of a frequency modulated encoded audio signal.

Somebody can do the maths, but as I understand it, level/spectrum of playback oscillator jitter exponentially interacts (intermodulates) with level/spectrum of encoded jitter causing a noisy cloud of IM products in the recovered audio.

This is why purpose built precision oscillators retrofitted to typical CD players make such a profound subjective improvement.
THD is not particularly affected, but IM products in the audio output can be quite dramatically improved.

This digital system noisy IM is what vinyl/analog listeners strongly object to, and not present in vinyl/tape systems.

Dan.

! Jitter cannot be recorded, thus it cannot inter-modulate with the jitter at the DAC.

This is why purpose built precision oscillators retrofitted to typical CD players make such a profound subjective improvement.
THD is not particularly affected, but IM products in the audio output can be quite dramatically improved.
Not the way a lot of these "improvements" are implemented... Some real measurements would be interesting and probably very enlightening to many who believe that these mods are a benefit, they MAY be if done correctly, but the majority I see are just going to add problems.

! Jitter cannot be recorded, thus it cannot inter-modulate with the jitter at the DAC.
Perhaps you misunderstand me.
Imagine a tape recorder with capstan speed variation (jitter) recording a pure tone.
Now play that tape back with no capstan speed variation.
The reproduced resultant will be a pure tone with frequency modulation....ie the capstan speed variation (jitter) is effectively recorded (encoded).
Now play that tape again with a different capstan speed variation.
The reproduced output tone will now contain the effects of two capstan speed variations (jitters).
Capisce?.

Not the way a lot of these "improvements" are implemented... Some real measurements would be interesting and probably very enlightening to many who believe that these mods are a benefit, they MAY be if done correctly, but the majority I see are just going to add problems.
Sure. It is assumed in this discussion that the implementation is correct/ideal.

Dan.

Last edited:
AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
OK that makes a difference. Let me think about how to go about this. Indeed the dScope can do it I believe.

Jan

OK, dScope can generate a digital stream with a user-defined peak-to-peak jitter, so that can be my source. I think we are interested in the degradation of the analog output of a DAC, right? So I can do an FFT on the DAC output and vary the input jitter, is that the kind of thing we are looking for?

Jan

dScope III......Envious.

OK, dScope can generate a digital stream with a user-defined peak-to-peak jitter, so that can be my source. I think we are interested in the degradation of the analog output of a DAC, right? So I can do an FFT on the DAC output and vary the input jitter, is that the kind of thing we are looking for?

Jan
Some DAC chips (ESS IIRC) claim to attenuate incoming data jitter.....you may need to try various outboard SPDIF connected DACs.
There are numerous eBay $20.00 DAC boards with both coax and Toslink inputs.
Comparison of coax and Toslink SPDIF feeds might be interesting.

Added jitter functions: (applies to all formats): sine (freq variable 10Hz..40kHz), LF sine (freq variable 10Hz..10kHz), wide-band noise (BW 1Hz..64fs), audio-band noise (BW 10Hz..40kHz).
Added jitter amplitude: Sine, audio and wide-band noise, 0..0.5UIp–p (0..81.4ns p–p at fs=48kHz); LF sine 0..20UIp–p (0..325ns p–p at fs=48kHz). Variable in 0.1ns or 0.01UI steps. Accuracy ±10%+1.5ns.
Useful machine....what did it cost ?.

Dan.

Jan

Even easier, just record the test signal on a CD, make a copy of a copy of a copy. Measure all for jitter and see if there is any change.

The expert opinion is that they should all be the same.

For more fun you can make copies at 2x, 4x, etc.

That should put to rest the growth in jitter theory.

Of course if you pick for a sample some good dance music you can always do the jitter-bug.

ES

I am using a Goldpoint 10 k 24 position attenuator with good results. They are a bit difficult to do business with, but the product is pretty solid.

Yeah, he's a bit quirky, but I found the Goldpoint to be better than the DACT.

I built a headphone amp for a friend. He originally wanted to use a DACT. It was a balanced input amp so he needed a 4 deck switch. When the switch arrived, it was so loose you could barely feel the indents. DACT was using much too loose of a spring.

So I bought a 4 deck from Goldpoint. It was perfect.

se

AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
jitter can be synthesized, a digital recording processed to embed the jitter - then play back on a much lower jitter DAC and you should be set for controlled listening test down to the however good, reclocked super low jitter DAC you use

What would best represent typical jitter from a CD transport or a download stream? I can specify sine, triangle distrib from a carrier, or noise modulated jitter.

Jan

ES,
I think you will find with any type of platting that when you plate over a sharp corner the platting will always be thinner at the junction of perpendicular surfaces. This has nothing to do with the type of coating , it is just a simple phenomena of surface tension when platting or coating anything at that point. The only way around that would be to have a small radius at the corner, no way around that I can think of and I don't think anyone is going to radius the drilled holes on a pcb unless it was a critical device.

Sy or one of the people who deals with this on critical applications can answer whether this is even a real problem or not.

Considering the amount of PTH holes done everyday, this is not a problem... There are many other problems associated with the formation PT Holes, which are well documented and catered for in fabrication, I wont go into details as there are already enough perceived gremlins in Audio without adding more to the list.
As said there are billions of plated holes on millions of products that work, carrying critical, non-critical sensitive, high speed and analogue signals with no distortion or problems, but as my previous post showed things can go wrong.....

Here are some pretty pictures with references to the IPC specs that will give you more information.
PWB microsection gallery - Element
This should also be interesting:
Eurocircuits - Making a PCB - PCB Manufacture step by step

Status
Not open for further replies.