John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part II

Status
Not open for further replies.
Disabled Account
Joined 2012
Hopefully, if we can find the ad, it will answer that question. Can't imagine they'd do that without some sort of explanation. I'll start digging after dinner.

se

anyone can do that parlor trick by having a very conservative Spec on distortion.... an arbitrary number.

You have an amp of .01% and spec it at <.1% -- you can run several of them in series before you exceed .1% or what ever number(s) you want to play with.

But if you choose a spec that is at the threshold of detection, then you can dramatically show just how transparent it is by illustrating how many it will take to be able to hear any imperfections.

THx-RNMarsh

Last edited:
anyone can do that parlor trick by having a very conservative Spec on distortion.... an arbitrary number.

You have an amp of .01% and spec it at <.1% -- you can run several of them in series before you exceed .1% or what ever number(s) you want to play with.

But if you choose a spec that is at the threshold of detection, then you can dramatically show just how transparent it is by illustrating how many it will take to be able to hear any imperfections.

What parlor trick? I didn't say anything about any kind of tricks over even what they were trying to prove. That's what we're hoping the ad would finally resolve if it can be found.

se

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi Stuart,
Usually on the back panel.
You really know how to crack a guy up!

Hi Richard,
I believe in doing the tiny detail stuff, and you are right. That makes all the difference in the world. You can usually measure the difference too. Normally in the residuals from a THD test. The numbers are small, but the change is not subtle when you are on your game. I think that most technical people know about that.

-Chris

Status
Not open for further replies.