John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part II

Status
Not open for further replies.
You 'incomplete understanding' guys really **** me off. What are we supposed to do? Throw up our hands in despair and walk off?

Don't you see? If we don't know everything then we effectively know nothing. Get it?

The problem is these people are often in complete denial of what is known. Like the fact that human subjective perception isn't the unerring reflection of the objective reality that they make it out to be.

se

Pavel doesn't seem to understand the question. Either that or he does but is just trying to confuse things with "subjective sound quality."

Or it is you who didn't understand what Pavel is saying :)

SY question was hard to understand but IMO Pavel got it right. It was you who I thought didn't get what Pavel was saying? Of course it could also me who didn't get it :D

Don't you see? If we don't know everything then we effectively know nothing. Get it?

Who was it saying something about the logical fallacy in this thread? Not you? I don't remember but I think you must be careful not to fall into that fallacy.

The problem is these people are often in complete denial of what is known. Like the fact that human subjective perception isn't the unerring reflection of the objective reality that they make it out to be.

As far as I can see, the complete denial is in you. Those you accused are genuinely badly informed or doesn't have sufficient knowledge to explain the phenomena they can observe or experience.

Or it is you who didn't understand what Pavel is saying :)

I'm trying to get Pavel to clarify what he is saying.

Can there be improvements in "subjective sound quality" even in the absence of actual audible differences?

If his answer is "yes," then there is nothing to argue.

If his answer is "no," then what he is saying is just nonsense. We don't have to test or measure "subjective sound quality," we just have to test for an actual audible difference, and we know how to do that.

se

Disabled Account
Joined 2012
Who was it saying something about the logical fallacy in this thread? Not you? I don't remember but I think you must be careful not to fall into that fallacy.

As far as I can see, the complete denial is in you. Those you accused are genuinely badly informed or doesn't have sufficient knowledge to explain the phenomena they can observe or experience.

:cool::)

Got it right again.

Disabled Account
Joined 2012
Cable "sound" falls in the system engineering category - if altering a cable in any fashion alters the perceived sound then the system has an issue, a problem to be solved. The real goal is to eliminate every system issue, whether it's cable related, or for any other cause ...

and there are some parameters about a cable which can have measurable differences. For example, how much series Ls in a speaker cable will drop the tweeter level by a detectable amount (.1 or more dB)?? Maybe compare it to the Ls of lamp cord and tweeter Ls., etal. in SIM first.

For listening comparison/detection -- A simple way to listen to any amp for HF roll-off etc is to put the PA within inches (like 5cm) of the speaker and use short jumper to speaker..... then compare to long length speaker cable.

THx-RNMarsh

Last edited:
I see two types of camps participating....
You forgot the third one: The ones who have the needed technical formation added with practical experience and still use their ears and feelings in the same time ;-)
Note that their position here is not comfortable: the are the preferred target of the thumbs, mostly in the so calling objectvist camp, because they feel (the thumbs) they cannot impress them with their book knowledge.
At the end, it is fun to see some of them, taking attitudes of "promoters of science" using deep scientific arguments like "Go back to sleep".

Last edited:
Disabled Account
Joined 2012
BTW - what is the low value of Ls of dome tweeters? How does it compare to Ls of 10-20' zip cord? Someone else ought to look into it and check the magnitude of difference some commonly used speaker cable would have.

Contrary to Cutzi's assertions, the equivalent of the Cap 'expose' pieces was done by Nelson Pass on why cables are audible. Since then a lot of the cable interfacing and design improved.

https://passlabs.com/articles/speaker-cables-science-or-snake-oil

THx-RNMarsh

Last edited:
The question was whether my old Pioneer SA-7700 would be audibly distinguishable from a modern "high end audio" amplifier that was designed to be more "objectively perfect." You know, like John's design goals, not an "effects box" like a SET tube amp based on a circuit topology from the 1930s.
I'm sure that's been done more than once. :D

Disabled Account
Joined 2012
BTW - what is the low value of Ls of dome tweeters? How does it compare to Ls of 10-20' zip cord? Someone else ought to look into it and check the magnitude of difference some commonly used speaker cable would have.

Contrary to Cutzi's rants and assertions, the equivalent of the Cap 'expose' pieces was done by Nelson Pass on why cables are audible. And, like-wise, since then a lot of the cable interfacing and design improved.

https://passlabs.com/articles/speaker-cables-science-or-snake-oil

THx-RNMarsh

Last edited:
Seems to be a pretty well-kept secret.
Not so much. Ian Masters and Richard Clark are two people who I offhand am aware published their tests, and Masters used a Pioneer (though probably not your model). I'd think that the issue with your Pioneer will be with pathological speakers with bizarre impedance curves. No problem for the almost-as-old Adcom sitting in my living room at the moment.

Contrary to Cutzi's rants and assertions, the equivalent of the Cap 'expose' pieces was done by Nelson Pass on why cables are audible. And, like-wise, since then a lot of the cable interfacing and design improved.

Still all talk and no controlled listening tests.

Like I said, talk is cheap.

se

Status
Not open for further replies.