John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part II

Status
Not open for further replies.
Clifforest expressed himself in an under-cooled, civilized way
Really, you think that "spouting such breathtakingly idiotic drivel?" is a civilized way ?
In my native language, civilized ways are to refute the argues, not to address the author, treating-him of idiot (If I understand correctly English).
The figure of speech does not change the background.
We are all here for our pleasure, to share a passion on musical reproduction and audio electronic. Why don't share a minimum of respect and, better, sympathy between us ?
The things that bring us together are more numerous than those that separate our views.
And we have more to get listening from the various experiences of others than to fight endlessly to defend our own "faith".

Last edited:
Now, we have this troll about "cable sound" and silver.
While all my experiences in this domain tend to make me think that all is a question of lumped elements, impedance curves of the source and the load, is there something else we can find "objectively" on this matter ?
Any property of the metal, or the dielectric in a wire ?
While the subject is not at all important, on my point of view, in regard to other parts of our systems witch modify sound reproduction in a much more important way, like the speakers, acoustic of the room etc.

Some things are interesting in audio, and others aren't: for me, cables fall in the latter category, they should be totally invisible, in the audible sense. I use cheap, everyday stuff which doesn't get in the way, all the time, because other factors are more important - if it wasn't that way, then I would never have got convincing sound, accidentally, in the first place.

But it is interesting how the "objectivists" can get so aggressive towards someone who doesn't go about things in the standard manner, who isn't tied to some standard set of beliefs ... ;)

Step 1: Demonstrate that it can be heard before speculating about causes. No one has. The "sound" of silver has all the evidentiary support of aliens and anal probing.
1- Yes, i had heard slight differences between cables. As i said, i suspect lumped elements. I have no explanation for a difference between Silver and Copper. But i have not studied the subject.
Not enough difference found , on my side, to be upset about thee subject, or to invest one more dollar in what you call a fashion cable.
I Use Cat 6 cable for low level analog signals, now, and compensating networks in my speakers in order they have a flat impedance.

About "evidentiary support of aliens", i let-you to your evidence. But, i will not share *your conviction* just because it is you. I just have a reasonable doubt with no definitive conclusion.

Let-me tell you a story. One night, long time ago, i had seen, driving my car on the Champs Elysées, accompanied by a doctor friend, a strange luminous phenomena.
it was not responding to any law of physics corresponding to the behavior of objects known by us. So strange that we decided to not talk about-it before to had written our observation in order to not influence one by the other. It was only while i was reading his report that i realized that it was sounding exactly like the UFO literature. During the observation, i was referring at each instant to known objects: A plane, an helicopter, a fireworks, then nothing explainable. Neither for the deep feeling of beauty we both had at this instant while I'm usually bored by fireworks ;-)
The day after at the news on the TV, the journalist reported that a lot of testimonies of strange luminous phenomena were observed all along a 500Km line in our country.
Now, you can think we are all crazy, because *you* have not seen-it, you can tell me that i have not seen what i had seen, you can try what you want, but you will never get me talking about aliens. I have seen something i can describe, I can't explain, I can't rely to anything that i know. But I have seen-it. Dot.

Last edited:
I own the Pioneer. And I also build many CFA. You forget that even small difference is audible. Or you cannot hear differences well?

Really? You've established this under blind conditions? I mean, people claim to hear differences when they put photographs of themselves in their freezers too. So frozen photographs make for audible differences as well?

se

The whole hullabaloo about silver cables has been taken in a completely wrong manner, in my view.

John mentions silver cable, and the "science" fedayeen are all over him. And this in spite of the fact that he very clearly indicated that he was referring to a specific brand and model of silver cable.

He didn NOT say that silver cable sounds better by default, just because it's silver and not copper. Silver is a material, for which there are numerous sources, and exactly like copper, not all are the same. The fact indicates that there are differneces which should be anticipated. I use silver cable for interconnects, however before choosing the ones I currently use (by Taiwanese manufacturer Neotech), I discarded 6 other possible choices as lacking in one way or another. The ones I do use I do so because they offer a cleaner sound than any copper version I have ever come across. If I should run into a better yet copper wire, I have no problem in changing.

The switch made in the discussion was going from specific to generic. Silver as such may not do anything for the sound because they are not all the same. Exactly like copper cables are not all the same. IT takes time and patience to find a really good one, again exactly like copper cables. Then you need to put up with it for a month or two before it sorts itself out, and sometimes the sound will improve, other times it won't. You never know until you've tried it, so be prepared for possible letdowns.

All my speaker cabling is by VDH, but I agree with John that using VDH for internal cabling is not a good idea. Neotechc's silver cables are a much better idea, as they show up much more of what's going on in the program material. Just listen to the difference. It has nothing to do with any religion, or any sworn alliance to any type or any manufacturer, if it sounds better, I'll use it.

So all this hullabaloo about silver cables is the exact opposite of what scientists would do, I think they'd try first and talk later, not vice versa.

So who is making audio cables that are designed so poorly they are producing audible differences? They outta be put out of business.

se

No citations for this. We can use citations when we speak about scientific experiments.

Progress in sound quality (which is a subjective term) to me is based on listening comparison, even blind comparison, between vintage amplifiers and some SOTA products (I will not provide you with names if you ask me for them). To me, my subjective opinion which I do not request to be approved by yourself. I do not need it.

I strongly distinguish between scientific experiment (like distortion measurement in a defined circuit) and something that cannot be proven by the data posted at web page.

You may disagree, of course. Just to mention it is my final remark on this subjective topic, I am not here to waste my time in useless arguing.

Ok. So you're not saying there are any actual audible differences. Gotcha.

se

Status
Not open for further replies.