John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part II

Status
Not open for further replies.
www.hifisonix.com
Joined 2003
Paid Member
A look at a more complex circuit in which a JFET is used to develop a reference voltage across a parallel R-C and a simple three-Q shunt regulator is used, with some gain but with another C across the feedback resistor, appears to allow a 10mA 15V shunt regulator with about 400nV rms noise in a 20kHz noise bandwidth, with some uncertainty in the very low frequency noise.

But that's a fair amount of parts. Noise is dominated by error amp e sub n, which at the particular choice of operating current and 50 ohm rbb' devices is about 1.7nV/sq rt Hz per device. Lower rbb' parts and a little more collector current could reduce this further.

I was surprised, recently, to measure some 3.9V 500mW zeners and find their noise lower than I remembered, iirc about 11nV/sq rt Hz. That's really quite good for a standard part and not a buried zener. Probably some slightly higher voltage parts would still be reasonably quiet, and with zeners you are free to bypass with capacitors to your heart's content without fear of instability. 5.1V parts are close to zero tempco as well.

Member Christo did a series of measurements on Zeners and LED's a few years back if you search the forum you should find the results. Easy to get into Excel and plot some graphs.

I was very surprised at how quiet the Zeners were as well - an LM317 without sizeable Vadj bypassing is -2 orders of magnitude noise ire in some cases.

Weed and electronics

It's awfully hard to hold a disagreement here. Normally the procedure is like partial differentials, you look at a single factor, with all other variables held constant. Here we have this kind of river-rapids of ideas, where it's barely worth disagreeing, it's just chips in the stream.

The thread on 'weed and music' is much more comfortable to be in. Oddly, there seems to be less confusion about what is real and what is not than in some other parts of the forum.

Maybe a thread on weed and electronics?

Just for fun, I compared two different connections of polarized caps, the back-to-back series caps and paralleled caps (parallel vs antiparallel). I was curious because one of the posted articles claimed that the antiparallel caps give lower distortion than series back-to-back. I used some '60s vintage Sprague 150D tantalums, 1u/35VDC. The load was a 3k3 resistor, and for each connection, I set the excitation signal to the corner frequency in order to see distortion behavior and to compare apples to apples. As a check, at midband, the distortion was about the same as residual. The caps weren't matched and appear to have come from two different manufacturing lots. 3VAC excitation.

Series back-to-back: -80dB 2nd, -100dB 3rd, -120dB 4th
Parallel: -72 dB 2nd, -88dB 3rd, -105dB 4th
Antiparallel: -73dB 2nd; -88dB 3rd, -108dB 4th

These data contradict the claim in that paper.

Testing capacitor distortion in a test jig is one thing, testing in a real world circuit stage is another.
Source and load impedances over frequency are typically not perfectly constant.
More useful would be to test distortions of typical stages with variety of capacitor types.
THD, IMD and multitone IMD would be more appropriate testing methodologies.

Dan.

I just repeated my 32 year old test with the same tant cap values and the same test conditions. Inverse parallel was about 15dB BETTER than the same parts in series. 20db better compared with a single 4.7uf tantalum cap. Perhaps my test conditions encouraged this result, but I don't see how. What SY measured, I cannot answer for.

It's awfully hard to hold a disagreement here. Normally the procedure is like partial differentials, you look at a single factor, with all other variables held constant. Here we have this kind of river-rapids of ideas, where it's barely worth disagreeing, it's just chips in the stream.

The thread on 'weed and music' is much more comfortable to be in. Oddly, there seems to be less confusion about what is real and what is not than in some other parts of the forum.

Maybe a thread on weed and electronics?

Yes, I find this thread exhausting. I feel guilty for reading it so much, surely there are better uses of my time? But I still can't keep up, I have to skip over blocks of pages of posts every now and then. Where do these guys find the time? I am doubly impressed by those who actually make measurements and post them, I haven't got enough hours in a day.

The funny part is that my impression is that most of the "regular" contributors to this thread hold each other in very high regard, but snipe at each other for sport. It is easy to get drawn into that dynamic if one hangs around here too much.

Weed and electronics? Sadly, I consumed my earthly allotment of weed many years ago (tobacco too). Now I'm working on my whisky ration. :) I don't feel that weed has anything left to teach me, perhaps I'm wrong about that. For me it never mixed with logical thinking or technical matters, but I have known some very good techs who worked stoned all the time. I once went back to work after a dinner which included some aromatic after-dinner treats, and was working on a tape deck tune-up, which should have taken about half an hour, maybe 45 minutes, but an hour later I was still doing the first steps for the 5th time. 300Hz test tones get boring after a while.

I just repeated my 32 year old test with the same tant cap values and the same test conditions. Inverse parallel was about 15dB BETTER than the same parts in series. 20db better compared with a single 4.7uf tantalum cap. Perhaps my test conditions encouraged this result, but I don't see how. What SY measured, I cannot answer for.

What was your excitation frequency?

I did, hence my question mark - as I could not see what relevance either link has to our discussion here. Perhaps Hiten will explain?
Sorry my mistake. Should have put question mark in my post. I thought it was relevant to Dielectric Absorption. I was searching google if there is any electron microscopy of capacitor's working. Just simple curiosity.
Regards

Disabled Account
Joined 2012

In case it seems like the now very familiar game here of someone is right and someone is wrong game -- or someone is smarter and someone is not so ego game.......Others can see the whole context of the 'non-linear' part of caps as THD "Picking Capacitors part 1 Audio Feb 1980.

http://waltjung.org/PDFs/Picking_Capacitors_1.pdf

and the rest here: http://www.elpee.info/Documenten/PickingCapacitors2.pdf

-RNM

Last edited:
Blanket statements about nonlinear systems are likely to be fuzzy at best.

What we need is a comprehensive theory linking nonlinear systems and distortion. Single frequency excitations are usually fairly simple and fall out of nonlinear operator theory. Multiple frequency excitations are more complicated. It is not trivial stuff.

Recently, the major horsepower devoted to the analysis of distortion via electronic circuit analysis has focused on high frequencies and communications. There may be authoritative materials on audio, but I haven't seen them. The two areas ought to map reasonably well.

Brad
Zeners are quite noisy at 6.2 volts, and the reason for a buried zener is for bette long term drift, 6.2 happens to be close to zero tempco, that is why the usual voltage for high stabiity is aound the 6.2 region.

Disabled Account
Joined 2012
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.