John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part II

Status
Not open for further replies.
Still waiting for an actual argument as to how charlatan is a personal attack. I'm just seeing a bunch of non sequitur smoke screens going up. If charlatan is indeed a personal attack, then there should be an actual argument as to why it is a personal attack. And "because it is" isn't an argument.

If you're unable to put up a falsifiable description of how to classify a random person as a charlatan or not, then its an attack. I shan't be holding my breath for such a description to appear....

Let's say for the sake of argument that the person in question is that bad thing. A thief for example. Are you actually arguing that it is a personal attack to say that person is a thief? And that someone who is a thief should never be called a thief?

First question: Yes. "Personal attack" does not mean "untrue."

Second question: Depends on context. If it's in response to a post on this forum, yes. In other circumstances, perhaps not.

I emphasize that this is my personal opinion and not said as anything relating to my moderator role.

From Wikipedia, "a person practising quackery or some similar confidence trick in order to obtain money, fame or other advantages" - you haven't pointed out the quackery, confidence trick, money, fame or other advantages, bits yet ...

Boy, you sure selectively edited that, didn't you?

How about the full quote? What were the seven words after "advantages" that you intentionally left out?

se

First question: Yes. "Personal attack" does not mean "untrue."

No, it doesn't. And in the absolute broadest sense, saying someone is a charlatan is a "personal attack." But just as "personal attack" does not always mean "untrue," neither is it always "inappropriate." Certainly it's inappropriate when used as an attempt to dismiss legitimate argument. But I have not used charlatan to do that and feel my use of the term has been appropriate.

se

Boy, you sure selectively edited that, didn't you?

How about the full quote? What were the seven words after "advantages" that you intentionally left out?

se
Because you've already addressed that part - a definition of something means that all the parts have to be in place, for the thing to be actually so - you know, logic, and all that sort of rubbish ...

Status
Not open for further replies.