John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part II

Status
Not open for further replies.
Disabled Account
Joined 2012
Its a first for me. Unlike some film cap materials, HD download is such a difference I notice that I am willing to explore and measure to find if there is something or not and put money into doing so. It is Much larger than any cap differences, alone. I have been asking for ideas over here.... so far a lot has been looked at... jitter, dither, drive mechanisms, dsp algo differences. And, maybe it is just my old and not as good as others' cd player. Or, is it the jump-over of not having the CD record/play process that cleans things up. So, maybe if everything were normalized, there would be no difference?? I am not making that leap of faith as a conclusion, yet.

THx-RNMarsh

Last edited:
That's me, open minded like Roger Skoff! '-)

Open minded to the point that your brains have sloshed out onto the floor.

Since SE brought the subject up, I thought I might show a few distortion measurement comparisons, these photos being the harmonic analysis of a 1KHz tone, with two DIFFERENT audio connecting cords, both 1M long, with essentially the same capacitance, and therefore characteristic impedance. Why did one upset the analyzer so, IF that is the cause? Or is it in the cable itself? That is the question.

We've known from the start it's not the cable itself, John. I sent you and Bruno identical sets of cables after you weaseled about Bruno's previous measurements not measuring the same cables you were.

You got distortion. Bruno did not when using much better test gear than your own and could see another 25dB or so below your capabilities.

Your throwing up these same tired old measurements had worn thin years ago. Get some better gear and take better care in your measurements instead of throwing up the same old garbage trying to resurrect your "micro diodes" claim.

Jeeeezuz.

se

Last edited:
I still do not know where the 'distortion' comes from. However, I agree that Bruno's measurements showed nothing, but then with YOUR cables, I didn't measure much either. I did measure something, once in a while, but maybe your SOLDERING quality was superior to some of the exotic cables that I found associated with this distortion generation. Who knows? My original test equipment fell apart years ago, and now the SR-1, like
Bruno's measurements shows me little, if anything. Why this is so, perhaps is how the test equipment, such as the SR-1 compared to the ST1700 differ in grounding. Yet, I still don't know WHY a simple cable change will make such a difference in the distortion residual, IF in fact, the ST analyzer generated it, and neither does anyone else at the moment. Speculations and criticisms abound, but no real UNDERSTANDING has been put forth by my critics.

I still do not know where the 'distortion' comes from.

We know where it wasn't coming from.

However, I agree that Bruno's measurements showed nothing, but then with YOUR cables, I didn't measure much either. I did measure something, once in a while, but maybe your SOLDERING quality was superior to some of the exotic cables that I found associated with this distortion generation.

Oh, so that's the secret to exotic cables? Crappy soldering? I don't know why you say MY soldering. The cables I sent you and Bruno were some Radio Shack Golds, a freebie spaghetti wire cable that came with a VCR or something, and Dan Banquer's cables that were just RG-174 with copper clad steel cores. I'd like to think the soldering on exotics is at least equal to that stuff.

Who knows? My original test equipment fell apart years ago, and now the SR-1, like Bruno's measurements shows me little, if anything. Why this is so, perhaps is how the test equipment, such as the SR-1 compared to the ST1700 differ in grounding. Yet, I still don't know WHY a simple cable change will make such a difference in the distortion residual, IF in fact, the ST analyzer generated it, and neither does anyone else at the moment.

Who cares? If you finally ditched the ST, just move on and stop dredging up this old crap.

Speculations and criticisms abound, but no real UNDERSTANDING has been put forth by my critics.

Nonsense. SY visited you once and helped up you out a little and offered to come back but you weren't interested. J Neutron also tried helping you out. You've made it clear over the years that you really don't want to understand anything. You'd rather just relive "30 years ago."

se

Yes, he seems to have visited this forum and found enough material to write about. God knows he had ample chance and even a good selection of characters.

The Mpingo Disc is invented by the Shun Mook team. It is made from a combination of Gaboon and Mpingo Ebony, treated with a proprietary process that gives the disc a unique property to regulate the resonance of any sonic component and its transmission. Yet this is a very simple item to use. Just place one to three disc on top of your preamp, CD transport, DA converter, turntable etc, and listen for the wonderful change in your Hi fi system. When this disc is excited by any external acoustic energy, it will resonate throughout the entire audible spectrum, thus overriding unwanted harmonic distortions and at the same enriching the musical reproduction.

So when I say this drivel makes no sense, I'm a troll?

I think it's the general audio scene in the world today. The cheap sector has all but stopped producing exceptional models, or they have become too rare, and this in turn cause the High End to stop really trying to UNDERSTAND how to make their products better, nowadays it mostly consists of unsing new devices as they appear. We forgot that the two sectors of the audio world are a push-pull arangement, improving cheaper makes the High End pay more attention: as is, why fix it if it sells well anyway? Sit back at home and knit your latest wonder cable, call it incredible, prove that by slapping an idiotic price on it and all is well. There are always free floating suckers around.

Nowadays, they don't even want to knit, they just hire the OEM to do all their work. "Manufacturers" have in fact become simple resellers. Not to spit at anyone, I recently measured and auditioned two cables, one from the UK with a fancy name and a €1,000 price tag power line, and the same from its original manufacturer, in blue rather than red coating, with standard but good quality commercial sockets rather than fancy "audiophile" types. No matter what I did with them, or what I measured, they were aklways within 1% difference, and obviously they sounded the same, for all practical reasons. The only differences I had were the fact that one had a fancy name to it, was red rather than blue and a price tag well over 10:1 higher. 10:1 to be red rather than dark blue and to have fancy sockets!

This kind of rip off is what is harming what's left of the true High End faster than any exchange rate. I wonder how one can be positive about things like that.

So when I say this drivel makes no sense, I'm a troll?

Don't be ridiculous, Scott, of course not. You are a guy whose experience has been forged enough times you can take on any catana. :D

Seriously though, I see you as a man who has his own views based on his own experience. Enough to discuss much with almost anybody, but then, you do make your arguments politely enough and do not resort to name calling. This makes me believe it's about the subject, not the man. I believe others see things in a similar way, at least I hope so.

OK, guys, if some of you have beef with JC or Richard, why don't you keep your personal attacks out of public forum and use private messaging for that. To read it all here is very unpleasant, to put it mildly, and it doesn't say anything good for the attackers either.
Thank you!

This is a public forum and some of us are trying to constrain the conversation to the rational (with excursions into the surreal).

We are dealing with persistent insults to the intelligence. There is no more profound and personal insult.

Yes, he seems to have visited this forum and found enough material to write about. God knows he had ample chance and even a good selection of characters.

He even dragged out the Copernicus and Galileo stuff. The sad thing is that this sort of huckstering isn't even creative, it's just recycling the same stuff. What fashion audio needs is a really creative huckster to shake things up.

I have been asking for ideas over here.... so far a lot has been looked at... jitter, dither, drive mechanisms, dsp algo differences. And, maybe it is just my old and not as good as others' cd player. Or, is it the jump-over of not having the CD record/play process that cleans things up. So, maybe if everything were normalized, there would be no difference?? I am not making that leap of faith as a conclusion, yet.

THx-RNMarsh
Richard, the answer is, and always has been, and always will be, those elements of the engineering of the system, as a whole, which are not up to scratch. Pointing the finger at one thing is quite pointless, :), and will lead one astray in the next round, with another set of equipment. Each environment for playing back music will have its own, unique collection of weaknesses and deficiencies, and what's required is identifying which are the worst offenders and resolving them in an intelligent way.

On that note I'm pleased with my progress in the simplistic tweaking of my 2nd hand laptop - it now is capable of delivering bursts of very satisfying sound, and recordings that I know well sound just like they should - the intrinsic nature of the album is coming through strongly. Obviously on a relatively small scale, but it's equivalent to a good system working at a low volume, with no low bass - the core of the sound is intact, and that's what matters ...

How is charlatan a personal attack? Again, if someone steals something that is not theirs, is calling them a thief a personal attack? You have dodged that question once already.

se

By any normal, sensible, logical, and legal standard, calling someone a charlatan is a personal attack.

It's time you guys shut down your show. It has no dramatic or comedic value. It reminds me greatly of the trouble I used to get into 60 years ago, but then, I could be excused due to my tender age and lack of experience.

By any normal, sensible, logical, and legal standard, calling someone a charlatan is a personal attack.

Absolute nonsense. It is a perfectly good term for what it describes. No more a personal attack than calling someone who steals a thief.

Are you trying to argue that there is no such thing as a charlatan? That is the only way I can see anyone trying to argue that it is a personal attack.

I would love to hear your reasoning as to why it is a personal attack. You can start with giving your understanding of what the word charlatan means.

se

Thanks SY, for helping me with the 'aluminum foil' fix that you gave me at the time. I did not rebuff you so far as I can remember, but I have had a real problem with JN from day one. He just does not prove is assertions, not just to my work, but Hawksford's, etc. I need answers not suppression in my measure ments, just because they give unusual results.

Status
Not open for further replies.