John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part II

Status
Not open for further replies.
Disabled Account
Joined 2012
Yes, this is part of a more useful "calibration" process - I used a simple DVD setup disk for the TV, and getting everything "spot on" by its method resulted in the colours still being fairly inaccurate - there was a "fakeness" to the presentation, in many situations. By a process of trial and error, and subtle adjustments over time, the last vestiges of that "incorrectness" were lost - I'm never struck by the sense that "the colour could be better" ...

Hmmm.. I have several calorimeters. Again, it goes back to knowing what something should look like if you know the subject displayed. In playback systems, its knowing what real musical instruments sound like. But, when I do a video display calibration I find the result looks best... esp skin tones etc that we all are familiar with to some degree. It is also the look of what the producer saw and maybe you wont like what the producer saw but it will be accurate when calibrated correctly.

THx-RNMarsh

Last edited:
Those who do not turn and look will die trampled with a shocked look and that crumpled scientific papal bull in their grey clutching hands.

This is really strange Ken, I woke up this morning thinking it's been a while since Ken has posted the latest over-unity results. I was actually wondering what has happened with Steorn, MEG, Brown's gas, Black Light, etc., after all it's been years since our science trampling has been "just around the corner".

What happen to the professor in Indonesia who was making fuel out of water?

Hmmm.. I have several calorimeters. Again, it goes back to knowing what something should look like if you know the subject displayed. In playback systems, its knowing what real musical instruments sound like. But, when I do a video display calibration I find the result looks best... esp skin tones etc that we all are familiar with to some degree. It is also the look of what the producer saw and maybe you wont like what the producer saw but it will be accurate when calibrated correctly.

THx-RNMarsh

Jesus. Isn't this all the same subject?

Adjusting your stereo so that everyone can enjoy the output? Adjusting your TV so that everyone can enjoy the output? And that's why we employ standard models of hearing, sight and calorimeters and microphones.

But you still want the freedom to tweak the settings to suit your own ears or eyes?

I just can't get my head around how you get your head around these incompatible ideas.

Disabled Account
Joined 2012
Does it work now?

I remember somewhat when the original Machine called * Finial* was said to become into the market apx 1988, everybody was keen therefor.
There was an investor group around Arne Naess ( Husband of Diana Ross was said,dont know if thats true) putting a lot of money into the project.

I have personally seen prototypes at different locations, but no listening demo.
They explained always some trouble with laser tracking, because the machine was so sensible for laser adjustment causing a big mess due missalignment while transport and so on.

There must have been lots of other trouble also, but not known to me.

Basically, what happens when it works and tracks?
What is with speed accuracy? I assume the same with usual kinds of drive.
What is with pre-distorted records ( Tracing simulator for 17um spheric styli). I have not heard , that there is a possibility to inverse the predistiorsion.

So there will be the advantage of no groove contact, thus no wear and i would assume no problem with trackability due light speed laser.

Disadvantage i assume that the laser tracks every scratch on the groove surface and every dirt/dust particle on the groove ground, where a spheric stylus never will have contact with due the very small contact surafce area of a few square micrometer per groove side, in the end this mean a record cleaning machine is mandatory.

Furthermore the ELP has a built RIAA and Line Output stage, which will have the same influence for the sonic result like any other Phonostage.

So i have no personal experience and would be glad to read abouth practical experiences or whatever.

I have also no plans to go away from my analog rig, im happy therewith.
Its just for interest.

The problem that was not over come adequately was a means to follow where the groove went. ... variable groove spacing, changing radius, out of round centering hole etc.

THx-RNMarsh

Last edited:
Disabled Account
Joined 2012
Jesus. Isn't this all the same subject?

Adjusting your stereo so that everyone can enjoy the output? Adjusting your TV so that everyone can enjoy the output? And that's why we employ standard models of hearing, sight and calorimeters and microphones.

But you still want the freedom to tweak the settings to suit your own ears or eyes?

I just can't get my head around how you get your head around these incompatible ideas.

Its easy. I do NOT want to tweak the setting to suit my likes. I want to hear it as the producer/artist put it down only with out any personal changes...... as accurately as possible. How I go about doing that is a personal choice of what works best for me as my problem solving approach.

THx-RNMarsh

Last edited:
I've heard a ELP at Boston Audio Society demo - unfortunately the originally scheduled technologist wasn't available and we just got the brochure explaination from a marketing type

if you get the chance you should query them about the optics spot size - the website # is laughably implausible

laser beams don't focus to single wavelength spots thru practical f-number optics - ask about, look up Gaussian beam, diffraction limit, f number, Airy disc for optical systems

with any depth of field, high f number optics have a many wavelength Gaussian beam waist diameter

Anyone brew a cup of tea with this yet?

Apparently they haven't gotten a round toit. Did Tesla really say this? Steiner and Madame Blavatski were really into akasha.

“All perceptible matter comes from a primary substance, or tenuity beyond conception, filling all space, the akasha or luminiferous ether, which is acted upon by the life giving Prana or creative force, calling into existence, in never ending cycles all things and phenomena.” – Nikola Tesla,“Man’s Greatest Achievement,” 1907

AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
The problem that was not over come adequately was a means to follow where the groove went. ... variable groove spacing, changing radius, out of round centering hole etc.

THx-RNMarsh

Ahhh! Another point I need to check up on! Although I would think that once you clinch the following of the track as such, it shouldn't make a difference how fast/slow the track moves radially, i.e. it's pitch, within reason of course.
And the dust issue as mentioned by Scott.

Jan

AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
I've heard a ELP at Boston Audio Society demo - unfortunately the originally scheduled technologist wasn't available and we just got the brochure explaination from a marketing type

if you get the chance you should query them about the optics spot size - the website # is laughably implausible

laser beams don't focus to single wavelength spots thru practical f-number optics - ask about, look up Gaussian beam, diffraction limit, f number, Airy disc for optical systems

with any depth of field, high f number optics have a many wavelength Gaussian beam waist diameter

Well I'm not sure I am competent in this area - probably just enough to pass for a dilettante. And I will meet with a typical user, not the design team.
But my measurements should at least show some info, and of course the listening test!

How did it sound to you at the time, do you remember?

Jan

“All perceptible matter comes from a primary substance, or tenuity beyond conception, filling all space, the akasha or luminiferous ether, which is acted upon by the life giving Prana or creative force, calling into existence, in never ending cycles all things and phenomena.” – Nikola Tesla,“Man’s Greatest Achievement,” 1907
had to do something with the left over luminiferous ether after Michelson-Morley

Last edited:
THx-RNMarsh

Are you sure you are thinking of the same thing? The ELP does work in the follow the groove sense, but the mechanical problems of spinning groove are not eliminated. Not many realize immediately that an off center disk will have the same rotational wow as a conventional system, unless DSP and the tracking servo info are used in a clever manner.

IIRC the ELP recovered and used an analog signal. Computing power has gotten to the point where this is hopelessly out of date.

Over the years, I had had plenty of chances to see how audiophile-gone-wild bunch works. In my view, their key mistake fits in well with Frank's philosophy, unfotunately the wrong way about. From my experience, the key factor is perpetual change of everything in search of tr "real" sound.

And they never seem to get there, which is logical to me.

One component, say a amp, can sound ideal under one set of conditions and less than ideal under another set. In my life, I have never comes across an amp which was ideal sunding no matter what you attached to it as a load, even if the difference between two loads was miniscule, if one can hear it then it's important. Now when you start wildly chasing a dream with a TT, a preamp, an amp, a CD player and loudspeakers, you may well end up chaising that dream forever when you change everything a lot. Rather, I feel one should choose one part of th system, in my case the loudspeakers, and build on from there, find an amp which is excellent with them, then a say preamp which fist in perfectly, and so forth. The imporatnt thing is that you have something that is used as your key pivot point for balancing the rest of the system.

Searching for "the perfect amp", or "perfect" anything is a wild goose chase few manage to finish with any results.

Its easy. I do NOT want to tweak the setting to suit my likes. I want to hear it as the producer/artist put it down only with out any personal changes...... as accurately as possible.

THx-RNMarsh

It's OK, I figgered it out. You genuinely believe your hearing is that good.

Go take the Philips Golden Ear Challenge, come back and show me your score, no matter what it is, I'll start to take you more seriously.

I'll bet you $10 to the charity of your (my) choice you can't even discriminate between the MP3s at different bitrates. Most people can, with practice, so it's pretty much a sucker bet for you, if you can be bothered to make the effort to learn.

Scott can you technically compensate for eccentricity, 0.55Hz modulation? Can you filter the analog signal DSP-like to filter this out and make it look like zero wow?

Jan

In this system the exact location of the beam should? be available so the instantaneous groove velocity (in fact maybe even in three dimensions with focus information) can be computed. The transformation to a virtual perfectly straight groove of constant velocity is probably mathematically trivial. It would be a continuous resampling or a variable sample rate that would go to a DAC at a constant average rate.

EDIT - maybe the PureVinyl guys and the ELP guys should get together there could be a $100,000 product in there somewhere.

Last edited:
In this system the exact location of the beam should? be available so the instantaneous groove velocity (in fact maybe even in three dimensions with focus information) can be computed. The transformation to a virtual perfectly straight groove of constant velocity is probably mathematically trivial. It would be a continuous resampling or a variable sample rate that would go to a DAC at a constant average rate.

if you are doing a laser scan pickup system, why bother rotating the record?

Status
Not open for further replies.