John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part II

Status
Not open for further replies.
Admittedly, I didn't have 1000 discs to go through, so it went a bit quicker. :) Then again, if you prioritize the ones you find yourself listening to more frequently, then the usable part of your library switches over quickly.

I paid my kid $20 to do my collection. He played videogames during the rip. Paying him plus buying the terabyte drive was cheaper than just buying shelves to store my CDs.

Hi Derfnofred,
Maybe once I have this place cleaned up and a new server running. Should I back the information up on DVDs?

-Chris

I wouldn't use DVD's. I'd grab a few TB drives (cheap, they don't need to be fast), duplicate the data, and keep one on hand, and maybe give another to a friend (in case of disaster, e.g. fire, house damage, etc).

Ripping to a couple HDD is a lot faster than DVD's too!

How can I define 'crappy' power supplies. Does my OPPO 105 have 'crappy power supplies, my 250W/ch Parasound? I doubt that the Blowtorch has what can be called 'crappy' power supplies. The most sensitive power supply that I have ever found in my possession is the STAX Lambda Pro direct drive jfet-vacuum tube headphone drive. Why? I don't know.

The most sensitive power supply that I have ever found in my possession is the STAX Lambda Pro direct drive jfet-vacuum tube headphone drive. Why? I don't know.
John, the PSU in that Stax unit is not really regulated - just 2 zeners for the first two stages and none for the tube output. I have the same unit, but use it mostly for work (together with Lambda Signatures), not 'audiophile' type of listening, so the sensitivity you're talking about never really bothered me.
Anyway, take a look at schematics, if that helps.
P.S. Original file is slightly larger, which I can't attach here, so, if you need it, just PM me.
Best,

Attachments

• stax SRM-T1-sch.JPG
    stax SRM-T1-sch.JPG
    339 KB · Views: 173
Disabled Account
Joined 2012
Well, thanks guys for your digital input. I still don't like digital much, so I have somewhat less invested compared to amps, speakers or even phono cartridges.
This week I hope to try an 'exotic' line conditioner and see if it can improve my system. It is made by Jack Bybee. I own it, so I should at least try it out. It will supplant another Bybee box that is about 15 years old. This is real 'exotic' so I won't show what is inside in any case.

Run a sweep of signals thru it from plug to recept outlet to measure the filtering in series, first, and show us that. Then I'll show you what I did.

[you show me yours' and I'll show you mine?]

THx-RNMarsh

Disabled Account
Joined 2012
I paid my kid $20 to do my collection. He played videogames during the rip. Paying him plus buying the terabyte drive was cheaper than just buying shelves to store my CDs.

Got off cheap! I aint got no body cept muh-self. And, my son would not do it anyway. Way past video games.... got him self a job.

As soon as I get the CD's I like the most into the CPU box, I'll probably throw or give them all away like I did all my LP's and player and phono preamp etc.

The question in my mind only I can answer... do i get a better NOS CD player.... which could be an upgrade, i'm sure. Or just forget it and play them with what i have and continue to move-on with the better system using HD downloads of 24/96+ until something even mo betta comes along. If I can get one of the recommended CD players from the peak CD era, I would do that but I'll probably take the easy way out. I have plenty of new HD downloaded files to listen to.

So John, make us some measurements and listening opinions of the Bybee line conditioner thingy. I'll be waiting for the ADC and got a nice power amp on pcb sent to me to get some heat sinks for and test it.

THx-RNMarsh

Last edited:
A disc had to be really seriously damaged in order to cause audible mistracking.
The typical sled type pickups have very low lens mass, rendering them overly susceptible to large transient/peak tracking error signal values.
The very high effective mass of the Philips swing arm mechs constitutes a very effective LP tracking error signal filter.

Dan.
That reminds me of the local hifi dealer, of many years ago - when digital came out it didn't take him long to decide that he didn't like it, and he ended up having complete contempt for the medium. But he still had to sell gear, shift merchandise, so CDs had to be in store - and he treated those physical objects with the same disdain he felt for what they contained. Talk about frisbee mania - those demo CDs were filthy, ferociously scratched, used as drink coasters :D - but still managed to produce respectable sound when he was forced to demonstrate a CD player; and sold one, probably with pity for the customer whose ears were so incompetent that they weren't actually repelled by what they heard ... :)

I am only interested in any differences which can be found between the HD downloads and CD for play back. So sit back and learn. If you know it all then you have nothing more to learn. With the zillions of hits on this forum, there are a lot of people reading which do not participate and they are learning, also. learning about personalities, too. So far, I have not found a major cause for the difference but I'll keep asking questions... even dumb ones. I dont accept that there is no difference. If anyone wants to point to something else they know for sure is causing the difference... not speculation but measured and not theory only... lets hear it now. We are all ears......

THx-RNMarsh
The audio world is currently trapped in a twilight zone between people who have the facilities to properly construct a useful testing regime but are not interested in finding out more, because it will disturb their cosy comfort zone of beliefs, and those people who have no trouble hearing the differences but haven't those facilities, or are not sufficiently motivated to "prove" anything to the other mob - in part because they know the other lot will immediately dance to a new position ... when egos are on the line, huge efforts will be made to keep unpleasantness at arms length :).

?..but still managed to produce respectable sound when he was forced to demonstrate a CD player; and sold one, probably with pity for the customer whose ears were so incompetent that they weren't actually repelled by what they heard ... :)

God I'm sick of this "industry." It's just one big clown car in a three ring circus. It's not even entertaining anymore.

se

Status
Not open for further replies.