John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part II

Status
Not open for further replies.
Disabled Account
Joined 2012
Hi Richard,

The two drives are completely different. The audio version normally runs through the track one time only. The computer based one will take several stabs at retrieving the data as they store the information in a much larger buffer than do most audio machines.

Computer drives read data at higher rates, but the audio error correction is not the same as a data disk. Bit perfect audio data retrieval is a myth. Now, for actual computer data you obviously do need perfect retrieval, and the data disc error correction makes that possible even with the high BLER rates that all CDs and DVDs have.

As for which is better, I have to say that for audio use, the audio transport is far superior if you look at the error rate in the retrieved data. A C2 error count would arbitrate this question, wouldn't it?
-Chris

Could you expand on the BOLD comment above?

And, pls clarify the data recovery between audio and data transports if both used for audio.... which is better and why again? I would think the computer transport could stand No error while audio could take some interpolation if data lost and still sound OK. Also, is using the data transport more reliable or not?

THx-RNMarsh

Disabled Account
Joined 2012
Esperado should only have mentioned from the start that his expressed experience was from around 1970, the same years that the attachment was printed, yes 741s :)

George
>Edit. For a unity gain mixer, the problem does not really exist

The popular replacement TL07x was often used also .......

O2 V11 AC Pwr Gain Stage Op Amps 2 V RMS THD+N vs Frequency BW=22 Khz See Legend_thumb[1].png

What happens to it at 10KHz with 30 HF tones and/or higher OP level? Could it then reach audibility threshold? Seems very possible.

In my experience with listening and correlating sound with distortions, when distortion makes the sound have less clarity in the treble, it is not unlike describing a freq response roll-off. It is As If it was rolled off. But, its actually, added distortion artifacts --- maybe creating some additional masking, as well.

THx-RNMarsh

Last edited:
The uA741 was used in many professional studio boards in the 1970's. The 'excuse' was their low gain-bandwidth made them more immune to RFI. That is why we had to PROVE that the 741 was a lousy audio op amp. Yes, there were some better devices like the Harris 911, but each cost an hours pay for an engineer at the time, so only exceptional people like Dick Burwen used them. Mark Levinson made a really nice portable studio board from Burwen modules containing a Harris 911. I used them in my studio board design for the GD in 1970 as well. They were OK, but just OK. Discrete was better, and Mark had me design discrete replacements of all the Burwen modules for this reason.
The 741 was the POPULAR op amp at the time. Wonderful for servo design and such, I used them for that at Ampex in 1969. Wonderfully easy to use.

Dick,

In a very simple experiment distortion was perceived at a level of -80 db.

The method was simple a 3,000 hertz oscillator was mixed with a 60 hertz one. The high tone was set so that it was clearly perceived above the noise floor in my shop from a commercial loudspeaker. The voltage was measured on the loudspeaker line. It was .003 volts RMS (Fluke 87). The low frequency level was increased until the HF sound was masked the voltage now read 31.3 volts. (Muting the HF on and off made the difference easy to hear.)

Now with a quieter environment and better transducers I suspect you could resolve lower levels.

I will check this with some other ears found around here.

ES

diyAudio Member RIP
Joined 2005
The uA741 was used in many professional studio boards in the 1970's. The 'excuse' was their low gain-bandwidth made them more immune to RFI. That is why we had to PROVE that the 741 was a lousy audio op amp. ...
The 741 was the POPULAR op amp at the time. Wonderful for servo design and such, I used them for that at Ampex in 1969. Wonderfully easy to use.
That notion of RF immunity is almost hilarious. I think it may have been Jung in an ADI book who wrote that, typically, bipolar input op amps detected RF about 100 times better than BiFET op amps.

But yes, compared to the 109, a lot easier to use. A very clever design.

When I had to incorporate a sort-of shelved crosstalk cancellation approach, invented by John Norris, into a computer audio three-piece system, initially sold by Harman to Dell, I realized that S/N was going to be a challenge. I wound up with a discrete design using some decent general-purpose devices from Toshiba and ran a fair amount of current through them, knowing that the soundcard output impedance was low and thus current noise not a big problem. The wholly-unexpected dividend was an immunity to RFI, including cellphones in close proximity, compared to other cheap systems Harman made---this without common-mode chokes or series-resonant caps across various inputs. The scheme for transitioning smoothly between stereo and Norris quasi-surround was patented within the time window after the product was shipping---although in an example of corporate business shortsightedness, Norris' patent for his basic matrix was abandoned as soon as it required some response to initial USPTO action.

Disabled Account
Joined 2012
Dick,

In a very simple experiment distortion was perceived at a level of -80 db.

The method was simple a 3,000 hertz oscillator was mixed with a 60 hertz one. The high tone was set so that it was clearly perceived above the noise floor in my shop from a commercial loudspeaker. The voltage was measured on the loudspeaker line. It was .003 volts RMS (Fluke 87). The low frequency level was increased until the HF sound was masked the voltage now read 31.3 volts. (Muting the HF on and off made the difference easy to hear.)

Now with a quieter environment and better transducers I suspect you could resolve lower levels.

I will check this with some other ears found around here.

ES

:cool::)

More connecting dots to solidify the threshold number(s).

Thx-RNMarsh

Yes. But i remember a big desk (Freevox), using solid state in a strange way: the active circuits were sealed in a tube like (with the same plugs) opaque enclosure. It was using 741, if i remember, but with an output buffer in discrete components included in the feedback loop. This desk was not so bad t its time.

what? I would have to see that haha

diyAudio Member RIP
Joined 2005
Better in general Faster Slew Rate, Higher bandwidth, less harmonic distortion.
Of course damn near anything beats the 741 for audio, except perhaps the really sluggish LM124/LM358.

Oddly, TI still has preserved the utter nonsense that the RC4558, certainly no prize either, is essentially a dual 741. I just checked the revised datasheet, updated fairly recently but originally from 1976.

Note that the distortion stated for the TL072 is for an input impedance of <1k. Although it is possible to alleviate the common-mode distortion mostly due to the input devices' gate-to-substrate voltage-dependent capacitance somewhat, by balancing impedances seen by each input terminal, it's only effective to a point. Jung and others have written about substrate bootstrapping (the substrate is the negative power supply input) which is a good deal more effective.

They are cheap at least. For more money, dielectrically isolated parts are a lot better.

Disabled Account
Joined 2012
Repeat with a second set of speakers playing music in the same room.

well, that is what I did to determine my own delta detection threshold number -- used music. .05% thd+n.

That was added thd in the form of OPS cross-over distortion via bias manipulation.

The TL07x under the conditions talking here about might exceed my detection threshold. Seems to have exceeded Esperado's threshold.

It is also quit likely the replacement CFA had much lower distortion at high freq as that is easy to do with CFA. Not saying changing to a better VFA would not have also been heard as better. Just saying.

THx-RNMarsh

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.