John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part II

Status
Not open for further replies.
I didn't even want to go into that, it could be a total pain, that's why they use lines per inch, the image should be 1.5 to 2X PPI the required LPI to create the halftone image.
Nice link, brings back happy memories of my old Art courses.....

I don't think I still have the offset color prints I made for my print shop classes. That was so long ago we use a massive camera, filters, screens etc. The secret was in the screens, ready made for each color separation. Film was rated for resolution in lines per. Never got close to that limit.

Also did a set of engraved cards and printed invitations. Type was stored in a "California" job case.

When things were going digital a local printer collected linotype fonts. His sample book became the standard for digitized versions for the "Scribe" software.

Fun and more hands on, I still have an old letraset catalogue and burnishing tools....
Now though for my own stuff I can use my home A3+ printer or send of and get great quality prints without half the hassle... though with offset printing you can get real limited runs (not that I have ever needed such:D) and realy dirty hands that only bleach would clean...
I use to enjoy screen printing, which was something I could do at home, now anything the kids or I draw or paint we can photograph and reproduce like any normal photo...
The photography dept. at the local collage where my twins are going later this summer still uses film and 10X12 camera, beautiful negatives that scan really well for a real high res image, the main tutor is a real film buff.
:D

Oh sorting some info out over the weekend on PCBs and found a nice article on PCB copper, the crystal structures should provide the crystal boundary worriers with many sleepless nights worrying about the effect these would have on sound quality never mind directivity....:)

diyAudio Member RIP
Joined 2005
Behringer B2031 limiter circuit.
The limit signal is derived from output stages peak values.
View attachment 478502

Dan.
Note that the Behringer can manage about 9dB of gain reduction. But that may be enough for many applications.

In the old days at Harman, circa 1990, the limiters in an automotive amp for Ford used optocouplers. They sounded pretty decent, with the inherent dynamics of the photoconductor and a little additional attack-release signal generation for the LED. Unfortunately, optos have a very complicated characteristic that depends on history, temperature, batch, etc. and the quality assurance folks were frustrated in their attempts to make the latest goals of tightly distributed behavior.

Eventually, the optos were eliminated and replaced with OTAs in the feedback path of an op amp. Didn't sound as good according to most listeners, but the QA folks were relieved.

Disabled Account
Joined 2012
Okay Richard,
If you actually intend to do some recording I can understand that. But for the consumer I don't see where dither information would ever be available or necessary. One question would be do the engineers doing final mix down even have a clue what the engineers before them have done, is there even any type of documentation in the least that keeps track of what has happened at each level or each track?

If you have read all the links I put up you will know that answere. Wont go back to sq one with you. Moving forward.

-RNM

Disabled Account
Joined 2012
read Lukin, the iZotope paper for summaries of several types of dither

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/loun...ch-preamplifier-part-ii-6218.html#post4232401 (my and Scott's links, not the 1st time offered)

the implicated "reasons" are the usual - "optimum" in the psychoacoustic dimension not well known/agreed, noise shaping calculation cost factor, weighting "other factors" such as not wanting aggressive dither noise shaping to cause some (arbitrary?) p-p level

internally, when lots of other processing steps are likely then flat TPDF dither is recommended

only the final distribution format dither should be psychoacoustically noise shaped

Last edited:
Disabled Account
Joined 2012
I would think you would have to take a cd and the high rez file and compare them bit for bit. I highly doubt that the producer is creating two different versions, so the question would be where would any changes come into play and why would the two media have any differences. We surely aren't talking the same thing as comparing the CD or High Rex files to a down sampled low bit rate MP3, then I would expect to see very different information if you compared files.

So we will have to wait and see if you can find and measure any difference between the Hi-Rez and CD files, I would think the dither again would be identical between files.

The effect of dither and how it is used in practice is only one part. The DAW part seems a big variable in recording. I want to understand this in greater depth. But mastering IS different between CD and HiRez as well.

Some harping here on dither from a non-practical point of view (theory only) is close to worthless IMO. As are comments of hearing -140dB. Knee jerk reactions, arm chair quarter-backing, second guessing, straw man arguments or just making up s**t. What on earth is That all about? I never got such answers when I worked with professionals. I am kinda disappointed to get such at DIYAudio.

THx-RNMarsh

Last edited:
Disabled Account
Joined 2012
read Lukin, the iZotope paper for summaries of several types of dither

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/loun...ch-preamplifier-part-ii-6218.html#post4232401 (my and Scott's links, not the 1st time offered)

the implicated "reasons" are the usual - "optimum" in the psychoacoustic dimension not well known/agreed, noise shaping calculation cost factor, weighting "other factors" such as not wanting aggressive dither noise shaping to cause some (arbitrary?) p-p level

internally, when lots of other processing steps are likely then flat TPDF dither is recommended

Thx. Looks helpful.

-RNM

only the final distribution format dither should be psychoacoustically noise shaped

Disabled Account
Joined 2012
Behringer B2031 limiter circuit.
The limit signal is derived from output stages peak values.
View attachment 478502

Dan.

I believe McIntosh uses similar concept. cant ever get to clipping their PA.

But when I did it on a proposed PA, the listeners came back with a thumbs down... said it compressed the sound too much. So they didnt want that feature.....
granted the main listener (Prez) likes to play things loud! Got to please the decision makers.

THx-RNMarsh

Last edited:
In offset printing, usually double the image resolution is required for the printing LPI. i.e. 300 dpi Image for 150 LPI offset printing (which is pretty much a standard here) I have adobe book which mentioned the highest resolution offset printing was done by an American Co. I forgot the name of the printed book and Co. Moire patterns occurrence is not that common, as all CMYK angles are different when making positives or CTP. In fashion photography where closeup of fabric is required to be printed accurately or animals having fine hair, the moire patterns is quite common. For that stochastic (non symmetric or uneven dots) halftone screen is used.
The resemblance to audio reproduction is quite interesting.

Some harping here on dither from a non-practical point of view (theory only) is close to worthless IMO. As are comments of hearing -140dB. Knee jerk reactions, arm chair quarter-backing, second guessing, straw man arguments or just making up s**t. What on earth is That all about? I never got such answers when I worked with professionals. I am kinda disappointed to get such at DIYAudio.

If you are looking for working with professionals, you are in the wrong place.

But I suspect this is the only populated place that would tolerate your lack of understanding of the very basics, for more than a couple of posts. Professionals are busy people, you know, they can't afford wasting time in debating the validity of the first principles, or educating you in what is in general a text book matter.

Status
Not open for further replies.